Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2024, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Adjustable Ball Hitch Mount

I traded up for a new TV with a higher hitch receiver. Looking at my ball mount and wondering if or how I might be able to adjust this to fit. I donít know what the brand or model is; this was installed at the Airstream dealership about 7 years ago. How can I tell if this is meant to be reversible? Hoping I donít have to buy a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5922.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	444477  
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

It can,
Old 06-19-2024, 07:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
X2. Remove hitch head, flip shank over, reattach hitch head at desired height. Each hole is usually 1.5", so you should at least get 3" lower.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyester View Post
I traded up for a new TV with a higher hitch receiver. Looking at my ball mount and wondering if or how I might be able to adjust this to fit. I donít know what the brand or model is; this was installed at the Airstream dealership about 7 years ago. How can I tell if this is meant to be reversible? Hoping I donít have to buy a new one.

Yeah, as was said, turn it 180 and have the shank long end going down towards the pavement. You can probably get one longer as well. Most makers have more than one, and if not the holes are probably standard size and you can use another brand like the fastway shanks
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Thank you, guys. Should I be concerned about catching on a steep grade or anything? I suppose I need to just flip it and see what the clearance is.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I figured out the make and model; itís all part of my Equal-i-zer system. Didnít realize it came with the mount as well but that makes sense. In almost every diagram they show it in the reverse config, so should be all good!
Now I just have to figure out how to take it all apart, ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5958.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	444494  
Old 06-20-2024, 12:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sacramento , California
Youíre going to need a larger torque wrench . Especially if you remove the ball.
dmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thank you, guys. Should I be concerned about catching on a steep grade or anything? I suppose I need to just flip it and see what the clearance is.

Yes. You can't use one thats too long. But usually when things connected up, you can find one that wont bottom out for normal use.

With that said you -MUST- avoid steep or sharp inclines such as a driveway to a fuel station. You WILL drag your back trailer bumper and break off your discharge valves and put damaging stress on the A frame. Avoid these driveways or inclines like the plague when you are using a WDH system and don't drive up steep driveways while towing.

There is no need to remove the ball on that hitch to change the shank that I can see. Even I dont have a 400LB torque wrench. I find a RV dealer that will swap it for a small fee, if anything.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
I figured out the make and model; it’s all part of my Equal-i-zer system. Didn’t realize it came with the mount as well but that makes sense. In almost every diagram they show it in the reverse config, so should be all good!
Now I just have to figure out how to take it all apart, ha!

It's easy, two cross bolts in the shank, and maybe a pivot nut on the bottom. I see no need to take the ball off.

Remember, the ball height should be an inch or so above trailer level ride height to account for settling.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, you can flip it.
If you need more adjustment, any solid shank will work.
They're 2" with 3/4" holes spaced at 1 1/4" inch.
E-trailer is a good source to see what's available
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 05:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
A few more notes

1. An impact wrench will come in handy. The torque spec on the two head bolts on mine is 300 ft lbs. Thats a lot of torque. Yours will be different. Youíll need to find the spec for your model.

2. There is more to it than just getting the head in the right location on the shank. When everything is said and done, the whole rig will look level and around 60% of the weight will be returned to the front wheels (the weight removed when the trailer is put on the ball). The angle of the head allows fine tuning the ball height to match the trailer. The tension in the spring bars changes with the angle. The tension will probably need to change to match your new TV.

3. You may need to make allowances for the type of suspension in the TV, e.g. air shocks need to adjust to the weight of the trailer.

4. Youíll probably want to do a three pass weight check on a truck scale to make sure youíve matched the hitch setup to the new vehicle.

There are several good articles on hitch setup. Google ďweight distribution hitch setupĒ for the basics. This forum also has some good instructions on the three pass check.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Really good advice , y’all, thank you. I’ll call around and see if a dealer or supplier will flip it for me and then adjust as necessary once I can hitch the trailer and bring it by. Sounds like something I’d feel safer letting a professional handle so I know it’s all properly leveled.

And yes, I know all too well about having to avoid steep drives. I’ve had many a trips where I’ve had to delicately angle my approach.