Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Roswell , New Mexico
68 Ambassador coupler repair kit or replacement

I have a 1968 Ambassador with an original 2" coupler installed. The coupler is, I'm guessing, worn, as the coupler does not grasp the hitch ball completely. When the coupler is engaged with the ball, the ball will slip out of the hitch when the trailer is jacked up. I have searched for the coupler repair kit that matches my parts, but they are all either out of stock or NLA. Any one have a lead on the repair kit, recommendations on repairing the coupler without the kit, or advice on replacing the coupler entirely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Flying_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
When having that issue on vintage Airstreams he works on, Colin Hyde would run a couple of welding beads on the coupler and grind the weld to contour to the ball. Basically rebuilding the worn area.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome to these Airstream Forums. Nice to meet another vintage Airstream enthusiasts. Your 68 model year is desirable, the best of the old body style some say. I wasn't keen on the windows, but the 68 model year was an improvement over my 66.

Sounds like the locking shoe is worn on your trailer, which isn't surprising. I think your coupler would be an old Marvel, but I'm not sure.

Actually a good trailer repair shop could plasma cut that old coupler off and weld on a new one without much difficulty. That would likely be the route I would take.

You might try Vintage Trailer Supply or eTrailer and see what they might have.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Roswell , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_tiger View Post
I have a 1968 Ambassador with an original 2" coupler installed. The coupler is, I'm guessing, worn, as the coupler does not grasp the hitch ball completely. When the coupler is engaged with the ball, the ball will slip out of the hitch when the trailer is jacked up. I have searched for the coupler repair kit that matches my parts, but they are all either out of stock or NLA. Any one have a lead on the repair kit, recommendations on repairing the coupler without the kit, or advice on replacing the coupler entirely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for both the advice and the encouragement.
I was under the impression that the 66-68 yr models were basically the same other than the window trim.
Oddly, the rear service area door on my rig is unlike any 68 I've seen. It's a 69 yr model hinged door. I'm guessing they ran short of the earlier model door and just went ahead with next year's rear door when it was manufactured.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Roswell , New Mexico
I was thinking of something along those lines as well. I do run a WD hitch so I'm not relying on the coupler as my sole connection to the hitch, but I wont be running it until I get this sorted out.

Thanks for the reply and advice
Old 11-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
If you end up replacing the coupler, I'd suggest looking at a Bulldog coupler.

https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Tra...3805W0317.html

My coupler was too worn to repair. I went with this during my restoration to get that extra length to the coupler to allow the tailgate on my truck to clear the jack. They also make a 2-5/16" ball unit.

Note: The A-frame angle for this coupler is 50 degrees. That is not the angle on my 58 Overlander. We made allowances for that by leaving a portion of the old coupler base in place to get sufficient contact to weld securely.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote