Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
600 vs. 800 vs. 1200 lb trunnion bars?

Greetings Landrum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
So I've got a dumb question. What exactly is the effect of lighter bars? Do heavy bars create a 'pinned' (or rigid ) connection between the AS and TV and allow less vertical movement?
The heavier weight distribution bars make for a more rigid connection between tow vehicle and trailer. It might be thought of as the difference between gentle undulations (with lighter bars) or sharp, punishing tremors (with the heavier bars). It is these "tremors" that cause pillows and bedding to migrate to the floor as well as cabinet doors and drawers to pop open. In worse case scenarios, the damage can include front end separation and/or stress cracking around openings in the body shell over time.

Another issue that comes into play with Reese Strait-Line Hitches is that the Dual Cam Sway Control relies upon "adequate" tension being applied to the weight distribution bars. Where the bars are excessively rated, the pressure necessary to get the most benefit from the Dual Cam Sway Control makes the ride so stiff that vibration induced damage results. There are a number of threads here on the Forums discussing the sizing and adjustment of the Reese Strait-Line Hitch for Airstream and Argosy travel trailers.

Kevin

P.S.: My experience is with Vintage Airstream products where the frames were typically lighter as was the empty and maximum weights. I often think of the goal of providing my trailers with the ride that would have been provided by the typical tow vehicles when the trailers were new . . . the full-size family car that likely had boulevard-ride suspension that required extra-heave weight distribution bars to create a more solid level link between travel trailer and tow vehicle.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
the full-size family car that likely had boulevard-ride suspension that required extra-heave weight distribution bars to create a more solid level link between travel trailer and tow vehicle

The overhang of full-size and luxury cars was formidable (the distance from Drive Axle center to hitch ball center). A short overhang vehicle squats, but the squat from a long overhang vehicle with the same weight (and other) drops the ball yet further to the ground. More leverage is needed to bring the Steer Axle weight reading back to the unhitched value.

The lightest bar that will get the job done (FALR: front axle load restoration) is the one to have. This requires using a certified weighbridge (see CAT Scale) to dial things in.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think front axle restoration and soft ride may sometimes be incompatible. My 1200 bars meet front axle restoration and properly offload the real axle as verified by the Cat Scale. Don't know what 600 lb bars would feel like but doubt they'd properly balance the load.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote