RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Saint Augustine , Florida
23 ft AS with F150

We currently have a Propride 3P 1000 which tows great, but can be a major pain to hitch/unhitch.

We purchased the 23 ft so we could tuck it into smaller and usually unlevel spaces, and are looking for an faster option. Aligning the stinger has become our least favorite thing about camping. Unhitch is second.

Interested in other members experience with a similar trailer and tow vehicle, what hitch setup you have and how you feel about it.

Thx in advance.
-Mark
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
23 ft AS with F150

I also have a ProPride system on my 3007 22 foot dual axle International CCD. Iíve added powered WD jacks to it, and found that I have no real difficulty hitching or unhitching at all kinds of angles. I flat wonít tow with anything else ever again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	378292

Power WD jack assembly. Yes, Iím too old and lazy to crank on it with a wrench. Thanks, Barry P., for building me a set!!

Once I figured out that you first set the head to the right angle, then get the stinger parallel to that angle. Then I adjust the height of the head with the tongue jack. I then approach slowly and adjust more as needed to line it up.

Once the stinger starts into the head, all else fails, I drop the truck into 4WD low range and push against the wheel chocks to get the stinger all the way in. I have dual axles, and the yellow chocks I have have clamp between the tires tightly. It will skid before the tires can turn.

Unhitching, I release the WD jacks so the bars are slack and use the tongue jack to raise or lower the head until I can see it slack off. Then I unhitch and pull away.

Admittedly it took some practice getting good at judging the angle snd height. One member suggested sticking a two foot length of 2x2 lumber in the head as a way to judge the angle better.

Practice, practice, practice. Iíve hitched up at almost 90 degrees on a slope more than once. Just have to line up right.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
When I was shopping for my rig (I had to buy both the TT and the TV) I decided that the FC 23FB was the largest/heaviest trailer I thought was within the F-150's specs with a sufficient margin. That is what I bought. I got a Reese Strait-Line w/Dual Cam for my WD setup. (The dealer would throw in a Fastway E2 for free, but I paid for the Reese.) If doing it again now (3 years later) I would do exactly the same.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 18' Clipper
Elgin , Texas
Consider the Reese Dual Cam system

This product, Reese Dual Cam, is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway.
Unlike Friction Sway Control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once it's begun. And it works only when needed. The advantage of the Dual Cam System is its ability to forestall sway in addition to sway resistance. It works to hold down the start of swaying activity while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction. Another advantage of the Dual Cam System is that it is installed on the trailer and therefore does not require adjustment every time the towing vehicle and trailer are hooked up, unless hitch weight or tow vehicle loading are changed.
- Integrated cams into the spring bars reduce noise
- No U-bolts to interfere with bottle racks or other A-Frame mounted items
- Specific attachment reference points provided
- Years of extensive field testing
- And Most Importantly....improved installation times...ie: easy to stab at any angle or slope
Old 09-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
A lot has been written about hitching and unhitching a ProPride. I read all of it but still had to learn through experience, with some early frustrations, but not for years. One of the tricks I learned from experience is that the stinger has to be the exact height as you hitched, for unhitching. Watching the ball never worked for me. I put a piece of tape on the wrench handle at the right height from the ground and now I raise or lower to the jack until the the stinger is at the tape and the truck/stinger slips right out when I pull forward. I also learned that if you do not mess with the WD jacks after you disconnect, you slip right back in when you eyeball the height hooking up. In other words, the cant and angles are all the same as when you disconnected, so slipping the stinger back in is as easy as just backing up, line up the height with the tongue jack, and finish backing in. I cannot remember the last time I had any trouble, but I sure did in the first couple of years.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
We’ve got a 23FB FC that we tow with a V8 F150. Our Equal Izer Hitch came with a Creekside of roughly the same length and weight, and has served us very well for that, a 22’ Bambi, and the current trailer. I do notice passing semis, but it doesn’t get scary.
Especially with the truck’s backup camera, the Equal Izer is very easy to connect.
I personally would not choose anything more complicated.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Like Bobbo we also have an F-150 (max tow) with our Int'l 25. We also use a Reese Strait-Line w/Dual Cam for my WD and antisway. If doing it again I too would do exactly the same.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
mamaroneck , New York
We are totally happy with our 27fb and our F150 using the Husky Centerline Hitch. It uses pistons to control sway and is very easy to use once set up.
jackanddiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanddiane View Post
We are totally happy with our 27fb and our F150 using the Husky Centerline Hitch. It uses pistons to control sway and is very easy to use once set up.

That Centerline with pistons was the only design that caught my eye. But I donít see it on their website anymore only the TS version.

It just made sense at least to me.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Expedition Platinum, 23CB, Reese HP Trunnion
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Toyota Tundra, Flying Cloud 25FBT, and towing with a Reese Steadi Flex 1400# bars. I started with the PropPride 3P 1400# bars and was not very happy with it, just too complex for me as a first time towing. So i switched to the Reese Steadi Flex. Much simpler in design for first time towing. No issues in 3 years and 40,000 towing miles. I can now fully hook up in under three minutes. Still have my 3P and will go back to it, after gaining some more towing experience.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central FL , Florida
mtflybox:
Here's a Hensley/ProPride hitch-up procedure made simple using two small magnetic bubble levels...

Place one on the stinger and one on the PP receiver housing. Raise/lower the tongue jack so the end of the stinger is aligned mid-point with the PP receiver. Then use the WD bar adjustment to tilt the receiver left/right or front-down or front-up to match angle of stinger as dictated by matching the 2 bubble levels. Works like a charm with no sweat or fuss.

Glue a piece of magnetic sheet cut to fit base of each level to hold 'em where you place them on the stinger and receover.

Have to remember to remove the levels once the alignments are made and then just back the stinger into the PP receiver.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I've towed my 2005 Safari 25 nearly 25,000 miles since 2017 using a Blue Ox sway control WD hitch. I've been very happy with the performance and ease of connecting and disconnecting. My TV is a 2015 F150 Super Crew Cab with 3.5L Ecoboost which has also performed well. Just returned home (NM) last night from a vacation in upstate NY (2132 mi over 5 days on the road). Steady as a rock.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Ontario
Smile Hitch alignment issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
mtflybox:
Here's a Hensley/ProPride hitch-up procedure made simple using two small magnetic bubble levels...

Place one on the stinger and one on the PP receiver housing. Raise/lower the tongue jack so the end of the stinger is aligned mid-point with the PP receiver. Then use the WD bar adjustment to tilt the receiver left/right or front-down or front-up to match angle of stinger as dictated by matching the 2 bubble levels. Works like a charm with no sweat or fuss.

Glue a piece of magnetic sheet cut to fit base of each level to hold 'em where you place them on the stinger and receover.

Have to remember to remove the levels once the alignments are made and then just back the stinger into the PP receiver.
I have 23 FB international with at Hensley hitch and an Audi Q7 tow vehicle. My learning curve was very brief and, prior to having a vehicle with the backup camera, I used three telescoping magnetic pickup tools with two mounted on the hitch in the third on the Hensley stinger. This enabled me to use my rearview mirror to precisely align the three uprights to ensure that the angle of the stinger matched exactly the angle of the receiver receptacle on the Hensley hitch. It was simply a matter of ensuring that the Hensley receiver was at the proper height.
My recent vehicles have had good backup cameras which eliminated the need for the magnetic uprights. I have found however that the placement of 4 foot length of half-inch white PVC pipe on the ground ,lined up precisely with the angle of the receiver on the Hensley ,ensured that the stinger slid in more readily without having to become aggressive during the last 12 inches. I really like the idea of the two magnetic bubbles as this enables a more perfect match of the stinger with the Hensley receiver. I have not yet purchased the magnetic bubbles but, on my last outing, I did use a short level to ensure the matching alignments of the stinger and the hitch. It worked well and I will purchase a couple of magnetic bubbles.
Don't despair with a hitch as it is a very safe, stable set up.
terrythomts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Ann arbor , Michigan
Dontí give up! Itís amazing

Keep at it. I have a PP and a 25FB with f150, now Silverado 1500. Keep at it. Itís quite easy with some practice.

1) paint the hitch hole with yellow pain around the perimeter, makes it easier to see.

2) back up until youre close, then get out and look at height.

3) readjust your approach and back in. Do it with intention, not slowly.

4) a little bit of lube on the stinger makes a big difference

When unhitching, put all the jacks down so the arms are loose, then raise the jack until the ball mount lifts a little from the PP hitch. There s a good YouTube video on this. Then raise a little more, and youíre ready to pull out. Again, a little lube on the stinger makes all the difference.

This hitch is amazing. Iíve towed 30k miles with it. It goes >90 degrees for backing in and pulling out. And, its hard to steal!!

Good luck. Youíl love it soon enough.
Jimbob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Chino Hills , California
I have a 23FB that we tow with a 2007 Nissan Titan, similar to the 150, and have the Pro Pride. The truck handles the load just fine I really like the dual axle of the 23 as well. The hitch has an initial learning curve but we’ve had it a few years now and hitching/unhitching is not an issue at all.
Greg Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
23D with a '19 F150 Platinum. We use a BlueOx with 750# bars. No issues, even travelling up and down the Columbia River Gorge and out to the Oregon Coast.
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
PullRite

If you have a 2017 or later F150 you can get a PullRite hitch from manufacture and eliminate ALL trailer sway. Others try to imitate the ONLY real sway elimination is with a PullRite. Might have to be persistent but you will be very pleased with this hitch.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream87 View Post
If you have a 2017 or later F150 you can get a PullRite hitch from manufacture and eliminate ALL trailer sway. Others try to imitate the ONLY real sway elimination is with a PullRite. Might have to be persistent but you will be very pleased with this hitch.
This caught my attention because I thought PullRite had quit making their original hitch and gone to all 5th-wheel stuff, but it turns out they still make the original PullRite as a special-order product. The website doesn't give any info on what vehicles they will or won't make a hitch for, but it has a number to call.

https://www.pullrite.com/pullrite

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I wouldnít junk the PP hitch

I was a total newbie when I bought my FC 27 in 2015. Read about the PP hitch and felt the extra $$ was worth it for an untroubled towing experience, which has been the case. Weíve just completed our 5 th cross-country trip. There is a learning curve (isnít there with any hitch?) but with a backup camera itís now a one person job.,The most difficult situation is on uneven ground, when the trailer has to be leveled on one side with blocks etc. in that circumstance, use the W/D jacks to orient the hitch on its horizontal axis to match the orientation of the stinger attached to the truck. I suppose the standard ball mount would be easier to use in that circumstance. Otherwise, itís not a big deal, following the advice of other posters here.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote