Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 12:22 AM   #1

2020 16' Bambi
San Jose , California
2020 Bambi 16RB WD/Sway Control Hitch Questions

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2020 Bambi 16RB from a local Airstream dealer and brand new to towing. I wanted to get some opinions on a WD/Sway Control hitch. My tow vehicle is a 2020 Nissan Armada with factory tow package and has 8500 towing capacity and 850 tongue weight rating. My local dealer carries Equalizer and Blue Ox so looking to go with one of these options.

I understand that many people will say that I don't need a WD hitch at all given my tow vehicle, but really just want to be as safe as possible and get it for sway control if nothing else since I am brand new to RVing and Towing.

I did read a lot of threads on here and other forums and seems like a lot of posts refer to larger trailers and/or smaller tow vehicles. I read in a few posts that if you have a big/stiff tow vehicle and smaller trailer that the Equalizer could be too stiff and put stress on the trailer and cause popped rivets. Then again I have also read a lot of people say that this isn't true. At any rate, given my TV/Trailer combination I was planning to go with the Blue Ox Sway Pro, as my thinking is that this may fit my situation better (less stiff than the Equalizer) and like the idea of a quieter/cleaner set-up. However, the dealer recommended the Equalizer due to the fact that the Blue Ox sits lower/has less clearance and that he usually recommends the Blue Ox for larger trailers (say 25' and up).

So my first question is whether or not I need to worry about ground clearance of using a Blue Ox Sway Pro on a 16' trailer? And if so, is the Equalizer too stiff for my set-up?

Like I said, I am leaning towards the Blue Ox unless for some reason the Equalizer is a much better decision and/or the ground clearance is a real issue.

Final question would be which models of each. Mainly for the Blue Ox, as it seems like the 550lb tongue weight is the closest but wonder if this might be too low. The advertised tongue weight for my trailer is 430 but understand that the real world tongue weight is usually much higher and I am having the rock guards installed (not sure how much they weigh, maybe 40lbs) along with an electric tongue jack so not sure if this would bring me closer to the Caravel advertised tongue weight of 490. So really the question is 550lb or 750lb tongue weight model for the Blue Ox. For equalizer, I think the 600lb model would be the right one. I also wanted to let you know that I don't yet have the trailer in my possession so can't measure the tongue weight loaded up and would like to have this set-up before taking delivery.

I understand that there are many options for a hitch and don't want to start that debate as I know there are many threads on that, but really want to check to see if my thinking of a Blue Ox will work for my set-up or if this ground clearance thing mentioned by the dealer is really worth considering, and whether the 550 or 750 model would be best for me. Thank you.

Best,
Stephen
DJ313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve got a Blue Ox Sway Pro and I use it with my 23FB. It works very well and I would have no issues recommending it to someone. My tongue weight was measured at about 535 lbs. with my Sherline scale, although my weights at a CAT scale indicated that it could be slightly over 600 lbs. In any case, I’m using 1,000 lb. sway bars as recommended by my dealer/installer. I’m pleased with the setup. It doesn’t seem too stiff and I’ve had no issues with popped rivets in the trailer.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

2020 16' Bambi
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Iíve got a Blue Ox Sway Pro and I use it with my 23FB. It works very well and I would have no issues recommending it to someone. My tongue weight was measured at about 535 lbs. with my Sherline scale, although my weights at a CAT scale indicated that it could be slightly over 600 lbs. In any case, Iím using 1,000 lb. sway bars as recommended by my dealer/installer. Iím pleased with the setup. It doesnít seem too stiff and Iíve had no issues with popped rivets in the trailer.
Dennis,
Thank you for the quick reply, as it was helpful. Given your experience and actual vs. advertised tongue weight it sounds like I could go with either the 550 or 750 lb Blue Ox bars and be fine. Thanks again for your input.
DJ313 is offline   Reply With Quote