Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Not quite your setup but, I tow a 32-ft 1987 Excella (fully loaded weight about 9,000 lbs). It has the upgraded axles from 4,000 lbs to 4,500 lbs done at JC. The TV is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD with the Cummins 1st gen 24-valve diesel. The hitch is the Reese Straight Line Dual Cam. This was the setup of the original owner that I purchased it from in 2011. He was an automotive engineer. The only change I made was to swap the Class IV hitch receiver for a Class V, because of the longer "arms" on the sides that attach to the frame. Most likely your hitch receiver is a Class V.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Yeah, no need to muddle the post with facts.
I've always found it interesting that when you post facts that some people disagree with they come back with insults and childish comments rather than post their facts of their own.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Yeah, no need to muddle the post with facts.

With deep apologies to the OP for FURTHER muddying his request - we all get the one trick pony story. It’s in every friggin thread across the forums. Been discussed ad nauseum. The OP acknowledged the pitch and specifically asked him to stop it. And multiple times after that it continued. Facts or BS - doesn’t matter. Can we all - me included - honor the OP’s request? This shouldn’t be a tough one... (bang head, repeat....).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
"Ignore lists are used for those people who's messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread."

So here is the solution for those people who don't want to read other peoples' posts.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
"Ignore lists are used for those people who's messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread."

So here is the solution for those people who don't want to read other peoples' posts.
My turn.

So let me get this straight. I told you that I respected your opinion, but I was going in a different direction. Your response to my honorable request, with all the respect anyone can muster with a keyboard, is to continually giggle your way towards pissing every one off, and making it very difficult for people like me, who are new to Airstreams, to gleam usable information.

See, I grew up very old school in a military style. My father was an MP, and I learned honor, respect, and code at a very young age. I raised my kids with the same traditions and expectations, and I'm happy to say that they are making me proud every single day.

What you are saying, is that you have no honor, or code, and your sole purpose for continually muddying the waters of my thread, is that you get your jollies from it?????????

In my world, you've lost all respect that anyone could ever possibly give you, and if I met you in person, I can guarantee that you would learn to, at least, RESPECT other peoples wishes.....one way or another. Some people just need the stick.

I can tell any moderator on this forum, currently reading this post that is spinning sideways out of control, that while I'm new to this forum, I was a forum moderator on a professional woodworking site for 10 years. I know how hard it is to deal with problem children like this. I know what I would do. You would lose your posting privileges for certain, but it's not my sand box.

I'll continue to try to learn what I can from this forum, while I can. I won't take any more crap from you, though. Why don't you just piss off before somebody gives you the beating you obviously need and deserve. Trust me, I'm up to the task. Now go away, and let those of us who want to discuss anti-sway hitches do so without your interference. Half the posts are not dedicated towards a rebuttal to you. Proud of yourself?????????

Isn't it sad that buttons get pressed until a person (myself) resorts to a neanderthal approach to making you try to understand that you just need to pass this thread by.
Airstreamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I picked this hitch when I bought the truck in 2007 and have not seen a reason to try another hitch. Yes, I can “feel” trucks when they pass me. It is a small, one piece pull.
I also notice something when being passed by a semi. It's not sway. I have an Equalizer hitch and don't plan to change.
I attribute what I feel to the air pressure of a passing semi hitting the rear of the trailer. Because of the "anti-sway" feature of the hitch, the trailer is being offset a couple inches to the right translates to the truck being budged a couple inches to the left. I'm not sure most folks even feel it.
That's my take.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Worse than a semi is being passed by an intercity bus with its flatter front and bigger bow wave. If it's passing you at just the right speed it can push the rear of the trailer to the right, which makes the front of the trailer swing to the left. Then when the trailer is just starting to straighten itself out the bow wave hits the front of the trailer, creating a double whammy effect. It's not enough to cause you to lose control but it can rile some people up. I once followed a bus and it seemed like he was getting deliberately close to every trailer he passed trying to shake them up. Strange form of entertainment.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Anderson hitch

I have a Ford 150 turbo pulling a 2000 30' Airstream.
Anderson hitch,no sway,easy to install,no grease,& light weight.
I know I will get some negative remarks but it is the best hitch I have tried.Did not try the Hensley,to much.
Check out their video.

Good luck.
winston10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I also notice something when being passed by a semi. It's not sway. I have an Equalizer hitch and don't plan to change.
I attribute what I feel to the air pressure of a passing semi hitting the rear of the trailer. Because of the "anti-sway" feature of the hitch, the trailer is being offset a couple inches to the right translates to the truck being budged a couple inches to the left. I'm not sure most folks even feel it.
That's my take.
If the bow wave from the passing truck pushes the rear of the trailer to the right, the front of the trailer will go to the left pushing the front of the truck to the right. This is the scenario that is most dangerous. One corrects by steering the truck to the left just as the truck is passing and the bow wave hits the rear of the truck, reinforcing the left steer.

In my case I notice the left movement as the bow wave hits the junction of the TV and TT. I don't feel anything with the ProPride (and didn't with the Equalizer either) when the bow wave hits the rear of the trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #50

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamfan View Post
My turn.

So let me get this straight. I told you that I respected your opinion, but I was going in a different direction. Your response to my honorable request, with all the respect anyone can muster with a keyboard, is to continually giggle your way towards pissing every one off, and making it very difficult for people like me, who are new to Airstreams, to gleam usable information.

See, I grew up very old school in a military style. My father was an MP, and I learned honor, respect, and code at a very young age. I raised my kids with the same traditions and expectations, and I'm happy to say that they are making me proud every single day.

What you are saying, is that you have no honor, or code, and your sole purpose for continually muddying the waters of my thread, is that you get your jollies from it?????????

In my world, you've lost all respect that anyone could ever possibly give you, and if I met you in person, I can guarantee that you would learn to, at least, RESPECT other peoples wishes.....one way or another. Some people just need the stick.

I can tell any moderator on this forum, currently reading this post that is spinning sideways out of control, that while I'm new to this forum, I was a forum moderator on a professional woodworking site for 10 years. I know how hard it is to deal with problem children like this. I know what I would do. You would lose your posting privileges for certain, but it's not my sand box.

I'll continue to try to learn what I can from this forum, while I can. I won't take any more crap from you, though. Why don't you just piss off before somebody gives you the beating you obviously need and deserve. Trust me, I'm up to the task. Now go away, and let those of us who want to discuss anti-sway hitches do so without your interference. Half the posts are not dedicated towards a rebuttal to you. Proud of yourself?????????

Isn't it sad that buttons get pressed until a person (myself) resorts to a neanderthal approach to making you try to understand that you just need to pass this thread by.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Crystal Lake , Illinois
Thanks to (almost) everyone for the continued replies. I am learning from all of them, so keep them coming.

Anderson is one of the hitches I'm considering, so thank you for including your experiences.

I'm doing some fixing up of my Airstream right now, so it's going to be a while before I need to buy the anti-sway hitch, so please continue to enlighten us with your anti-sway hitch experiences.

For those of you that have sent my private messages, especially about the controversy of a small part of this thread, do know that I am reading them all, and appreciate the support. For some reason, the forum will not allow me to respond to any private messages, so please don't think I'm being rude and not responding. I just simply am unable to, for whatever reason.
Airstreamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If the bow wave from the passing truck pushes the rear of the trailer to the right, the front of the trailer will go to the left pushing the front of the truck to the right. This is the scenario that is most dangerous. One corrects by steering the truck to the left just as the truck is passing and the bow wave hits the rear of the truck, reinforcing the left steer.

In my case I notice the left movement as the bow wave hits the junction of the TV and TT. I don't feel anything with the ProPride (and didn't with the Equalizer either) when the bow wave hits the rear of the trailer.

Al
Fluids in motion, especially compressible ones including air, have some interesting and complex behaviors. One of them is the low pressure created along the slip stream around an object passing through the fluid due to curvature of the flow path. So more significant than the buffeting you feel from the bow wave is the imbalanced and significant low pressure created when two large vehicles pass close enough to each other that low pressure regions intersect. It sucks the two vehicles toward each other. The effect occurs in either direction but is much greater in opposing directions. The changes in forces as you transition from the buffeting of the bow wave then the slip stream and then the trailing eddies (in airplanes they call it jet wash) is what can initiate oscillating sway in a trailer if speed is too high.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
I have towed a 6500 # 23’ Lance 2375 with both the Blue0x Sway-pro, 1500# bars and then a ProPride 3. Both worked well however the PP3 was much easier to hook up, and unhook. I am 73 and have back issues so this was important to me. If your big and strong maybe not worth the price difference. My purpose in responding is that after trading TT for a MH, I ended up selling both hitches, like new condition for a substantial loss. I got about 60% for the BlueOx and closer to 40% for the PP3. Biggest issue in selling them was finding buyers close enough that I didn't have to ship them. POINT BEING, try to find a slightly used one Close enough to pick it up. You can save lots of money if your patient. Good Luck, and safe travels.
jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
I have 2017 2500. Flying Cloud 2016 30'. I use the equalizer hitch and we crossed Lake Ponchetrane (spelling) in 40 + winds last September with no problems. Shorts were clean!
derfrengaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Easy as pie. Sometimes we even leave our WDH hooked up to “Aja” and remove the locking pin on the truck and then pull out, leaving the WDH and bars attached to the trailer. Then lock the sucker on the trailer.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
York , Pennsylvania
We have a 2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Laramie and a 2017 30' Flying Cloud. We use an Equalizer hitch and have experienced no sway. It's an inexpensive weight distribution system. It's enough since the RAM 2500 has a lot more capability than we need. A simple, inexpensive, weight distribution hitch like the Equalizer has worked well for us.
Tomarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
We are towing a 27' AS Globetrotter with a 2019 Ford F-250 diesel, not a Ram 2500, but quite similar specifications all around. We are using a Reese Steadiflex weight distribution/anti sway system and it is quite impressive how stable it is, even in high winds. I do not like the fact I have to use a 2.5" to 2" adapter, but otherwise I highly recommend this hitch.
olgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkennedy View Post
Easy as pie. Sometimes we even leave our WDH hooked up to “Aja” and remove the locking pin on the truck and then pull out, leaving the WDH and bars attached to the trailer. Then lock the sucker on the trailer.
Is yours a Proride or Hensley hitch? I don't think I could do that with my Blue OX
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamfan View Post
Thanks to (almost) everyone for the continued replies. I am learning from all of them, so keep them coming.

Anderson is one of the hitches I'm considering, so thank you for including your experiences.

I'm doing some fixing up of my Airstream right now, so it's going to be a while before I need to buy the anti-sway hitch, so please continue to enlighten us with your anti-sway hitch experiences.

For those of you that have sent my private messages, especially about the controversy of a small part of this thread, do know that I am reading them all, and appreciate the support. For some reason, the forum will not allow me to respond to any private messages, so please don't think I'm being rude and not responding. I just simply am unable to, for whatever reason.

I would have stuck with the Andersen if not for the difficulty in aligning the tow vehicle. If your tv is at an angle when you unhitch you must be at that same angle when you re hitch. Otherwise there is a complex procedure to get the wing back in alignment. Check out the videos on YouTube.

I really liked the light weight of Andersen. Sticking with Blue ox for now even though the 80 pound head is a beast.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote