Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
2 Tow Vehicles... one WD and sway control?

I have been towing my 25 FT SS with a double cab, long bed, powerstroke, and have not felt the need for any extra control.

Now I have a 2008 Landcruiser to add to my TV category and will be using the vehicle that matches my outing. I will be adding a prodigy brake controller to the Landcruiser and feel I will need some WD and sway control. I would like to buy one set up use it on both vehicles with a minimum of fuss. Is this possible on 2 vehicles so different? And if so what is recommended?
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa View Post
...I would like to buy one set up use it on both vehicles with a minimum of fuss. Is this possible on 2 vehicles so different? And if so what is recommended?
hi sierra

sure it's possible, define "fuss"...

the easiest approach is with either one of these....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ach-37994.html

with the orange blob, 2 different stingers (different drops) might be needed...

with the new kid the stinger is adjustable.

with either, the entire hitch apparatus remains attached to the TRAILER so using different mules is EASY!

looks like there is a haha 4 sale in cali for < 1g and another on 'bay for 1200$ right now...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...bay-32736.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
FFWilliston

2021 30RB Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Am not an expert on load leveling hitches (other than saying mine really helps) but I strongly endorse the Prodigy controller. Recommend you get the one that also works in reverse (as these are rare). Good luck. Fred
ffwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa View Post
I have been towing my 25 FT SS with a double cab, long bed, powerstroke, and have not felt the need for any extra control.
I've got an equivalent GMC and I disagree with this conclusion. Pick either flying or anesthesiology as a career -- the saying is the same: 99% boredom and 1% pure panic. Antisway can cut that down to 0.2%. It's not a panacea because some maneuvers intentional or accidental can overwhelm the best system. Shooting from the hip (danger!), I'd go with 2air that the Hensley will cut another order of magnitude in your favor. Good you're looking at equipping the Ford.

I did have one experience at about 25mph with a soft shoulder on a gravel road where I sensed and saw the antisway keep my 25 FT out of the Superior National Forest. My rig behaved like a single 45' long vehicle and not a disjointed TV & trailer. Well worth it IMO.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I use the Reese style hitch. It works for me and has been used with many towvehicles, including being lent out for other people and there tow vehicles.

I use dual cam on my airstream

I use chain type torsion bars on my race trailer

I have a little ball on the head and on both trailers for the reease slide control.

Adjustable head so I can slide it up for my van or down for my Super Duty

Very simple, it works for me, but may not work for everyone
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I also use the Reese with the dual cam sway control and I'm totally satisfied with it's performance. The down side of using the Reese on two different tow vehicles is you would need two different "heads" to reduce the "fuss" with changing vehicles, unless you got really lucky and both vehicles had the receiver at exactly the same height. However, if you can't find a deal on a Hensley, the Reese with two heads would be much less expensive.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
...The down side of using the Reese on two different tow vehicles is you would need two different "heads" to reduce the "fuss" with changing vehicles...
my understanding is that sway control is partly based on w/d bar FLEX with cam and friction control hitches

so with 2 tow vehicles from different classes, with different payloads, suspensions and load dynamics...

2 sets of spring bars would be needed as well?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
my understanding is that sway control is partly based on w/d bar FLEX with cam and friction control hitches

so with 2 tow vehicles from different classes, with different payloads, suspensions and load dynamics...

2 sets of spring bars would be needed as well?

cheers
2air'
2air,

Well, if you go by Reese's data, you should use the bars that match the tongue weight of the trailer, no matter the tow vehicle. If you go by our friend from California's recommendation, you would basically use the lighest bars available, and that would work with the lighter suspension vehicle with the head adjusted properly for those bars.

In any event, it would be problematic no matter what hitch you use, because adjustments would always be different with the different vehicles. At a minimum, the bar tention would probably be different even with the "heads" adjusted for the vehicle, and if you used Reese cams rather than a friction sway control, the cams would also have to be readjusted.

That's the down side to the Reese Dual Cam, IMHO, because everytime you make any change to the setup, you need to readjust the cams to get optimum sway control performance from the hitch.

But, it's inexpensive, reatively speaking, and works very well when adjusted correctly. It even works fair if it's not adjusted perfectly.

Regards,
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Thanks to everyone for the input. My current plan is to buy a HAHA hitch or its knock off sister (I hate the orange color on the HAHA). I would adjust it for the Landcruiser and then just take what that gives me on the F-250 powerstroke. Interesting enough the land crusier hitch height to center of the receiver hitch is 22 inches while the F-250 is lower at 19 1/2 inches. I took my landcruiser to the local RV dealer to get a Prodigy controller, they could not wire it in so I have been waiting a week for an appointment at the Toyota dealership, where they will tear the dash apart to connect into the wiring. So this has given me extra time to shop for a hitch. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
you have received great advice.is the need in using the land cruiser due to seating capacity?a friend of mine says he gets 9 mpg running solo with his land cruiser.i dont think your going to have much range with this type of vehicle,never mind the short wheelbase for towing.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, but up where he lives, the Land Cruiser will be useful: a short, maneuverable rig will let him get to a lot of places that the F250 won't ... and then he can drop the trailer and get to a bunch of nice trout fishing sites! Got me thinking, in fact!

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
SP,

a little different perspective... by LandCruiser, I presume you now mean the FJ Cruiser? Going on that assumption, there are some things you need to know.

First, the max tow rating of your FJ is only 5,000 lbs. and you have about a 4300 lb curb weight. Towing a 25' Airstream of whatever trim level is going to put you near your max towing capacity at it's dry curb weight.

Second, you have a wheelbase of only 105". That wheelbase is going to handle VERY differently when towing than does your F250. When things start to go wrong they will go wrong very quickly... much more quickly than you can imagine, and much more quickly than your reflexes can respond to. I have towed with CJ-7s and CJ-8s (Scramblers) as well as FJ40s and FJ60s. They are ok for towing small utility trailers and perhaps a small tent camper. Having the experience I've had, I'd never consider anything with a wheelbase shorter than 120" for towing a 25' travel trailer, and a 140" wheelbase is much more stable yet than is a 120" wheelbase vehicle.

My '02 Tundra Access Cab 4WD truck is rated at 4800 lbs towing with a 128" wheelbase, and I just bought an '07 Titan King Cab with a 9500 lb rated tow capacity and 139.8" wheelbase to tow my 5300 lb Bigfoot 25' trailer. I can tell a world of difference between the Titan and the Tundra in towing my Bigfoot.

I used to tow my 34' tri-axle LTD trailer with an Excursion, and I can tell you that the 137" wheelbase of that SUV was barely adequate for towing the 34' trailer.

The sum of all of this is that in my experience, the FJ Cruiser will be a frightening tow vehicle. It will do the job, but you'll need to stay on top of it all of the time. 2Air and Canoestream both know I'm a big Reese fan, and there are only a few circumstances under which I'd advise someone to buy a Hensley because of the cost and complexity of that system. This is one of those times: buy the Hensley. Be aware of traffic around you ALL of the time. Try not to tow in gusty side winds, and make sure your trailer is properly loaded so you have the proper tongue weight. Make sure your tanks are empty (the single largest amount of towed weight you can shed) and get a Prodigy or P3 controller.

Oh, and to keep your warranty intact, never tell your dealer what you tow with your FJ. Towing loads past the capacity of the vehicle is considered abuse, and will void your drivetrain warranty.

Best of luck with your new FJ/Airstream combo!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Thanks to all for the counsel on TV and hitch

Thanks to all for advice. I bought the pro-pride rather than a Hensley. The pro pride is adjustable on the receiver end to accomodate the 2 vehicles, and frankly the ugly green and orange on the Hensley turned me off.

My vehilce is a Landcruiser, not a FJ Cruiser. I know an FJ with a 105 inch WB would be too short. This thing is 112 and is plenty short. Right now it is getting 18 Hwy miles empty and I have not towed the AS far enough to establish a MPG.

I had to get something short for my wife to drive to town while she leaves me in the woods. She was complaining about the double cab, long bed F-250 and always wanted me to go with her. She is keen on the Landcruiser, and as an additional plus we can haul 8 passenger when we go skiing this winter. So far I am very happy with the 08 Landcruiser, but just wished I could have bought it without some of the bells and whistle fancy stuff.

Thanks again
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

You'll be pleased to have a good hitch. I regularly watch big pickups pull loads of all sorts on a bumper hitch and have yet to NOT observe sway. Small, perhaps, but it is there. Always.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote