Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
1964 Bambi II ball height?

What is the height of the ball for the Bambi II? Measured from top or bottom of ball? I have read conflicting numbers and get another from the current owner. I am trying to pre-match up a 2008 Xterra prior to driving over to pick it up. Measured from the bottom of the hitch the Xterra is 15 inches to the ground.
Also any pros and cons on the adjustable height bars. Seems that might be the best way to go at this time.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
My 65 Caravel is similar and with the standard 15 in tires the ball height is 19 inches. You can always measure yours by first leveling the trailer on pavement. Measure the frame height under the coach front and back to assure it's level. Then measure the ball height. Measure ball height to top of ball. You probably want load bars even if it's only to keep from blinding others with your headlights. It doesn't take much, 400 lb bars are ok. There is also an interesting Reese package for light trailers.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
What is the height of the ball for the Bambi II? Measured from top or bottom of ball? I have read conflicting numbers and get another from the current owner. I am trying to pre-match up a 2008 Xterra prior to driving over to pick it up. Measured from the bottom of the hitch the Xterra is 15 inches to the ground.
Also any pros and cons on the adjustable height bars. Seems that might be the best way to go at this time.
Any trailer that is equiped with "torsion type" axles has "NO" realistic ball height.

The only ball heigt that can be referred to is the original measurment.

Torsion axle equipped trailers, settle in time. How much and when depends, on a number of things.

That measurement is not very critical on a single axle trailer, but becomes very very important on tandem and triaxle trailers.

The only sure way is to measure the trailer in question.

Always use a load equalizing hitch. It pays long term dividends, especially in safety.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Could it be that you're contemplating joining the Bambi II club???!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Could it be that you're contemplating joining the Bambi II club???!!
Most definetly, just waiting for the funds to come thru. Hopefully within the next week. Going to have to drive 380 miles to pick it and bring it to its new home. Trying to take care of some things prior to going over. Like making sure the hitch set up is ready to go. The current owner says that the ball hight is 13 inches but everything that I have read says it is closer to 18. Not sure where he is measuring from. My hitch measured from the top of the tube is 17 inches. Just trying to figure out what drop or rise I need on the ball mount bar. So I can I least start out as level as possible. I wan't have sway control or leverlers/load equalizing hitch until after I get home and see exactly what I need.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Congrats! You'll have to post pictures when you get her home! I can't really help you out, since mine has a new frame & axles....sorry.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags