Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
But they were a much, much thicker gauge aluminum
The one I had to weld up when I worked in an Fms shop wasn't very thick once I stripped the paint.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I kind of look at this as GM doing everything they can to identify a weakness to exploit in the truck in order to gain any market share they can. The numbers have been out that the F150 is still the top selling half ton. Congrats to GM, they spent basically two years finding a weakness in the truck. If you are going to drop a load of chop block from six foot high into your bed, or be stupid enough to put your toolbox on the rail vs the opened tailgate that's a foot away, then by all means buy the GM.

If you are looking for a truck that had the highest crash test results of any half ton truck, which I take more comfort in than knowing that my bed can survive a load dropped from a Bobcat, I'd buy the Ford.

It will be interesting to see how long this ad stays around as they ended up pulling the aluminum cage commercial basically saying that this could be seen as hypocritical as they have indicated the move to aluminum in their trucks in 2018.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I always like both Chevy and Ford but I think this stunt is a low blow, the company should be ashamed of themselves, especially since they plan to go aluminum as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/05/g...ucks-aluminum/
That article doesn't say Silverado is going aluminum, it says they will use "various materials, including aluminum and lightweight steel." It also says aluminum is used right now for the hood and some of the engine.

I think it's a completely valid commercial. I'd think most truck sales are for people that use them for work, and to them it's a tool.

Remember this from a couple years ago? Frame twisting between the Silverado 2500 and the F250?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/16/c...vs-ford-video/

It's interesting that the engineer says they use rolled steel in the bed and not aluminum for rigidity.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Its also the same stuff they made M998 HMMWV bodys out of.
Is this the same M998HMMWV that the US gave the Iraqi army; that then surrendered them to ISIS and now the US is spending $250,000.00 per Hellfire missile + drones and personel to destroy these same M998 HMMWV's?

Look at how many Honda Ridgelines you can buy for $250,000 and when you blow them up the bits can be recycled to make a new composite bed.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Could someone explain to me what "Military Grade Aluminum" is. Be sure to use small words.
Maybe it's the same used on the skin of the F-16.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
It very well might be the iraqi army painted most of theres blue and white so at least there easy targets
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
We all know that that the term "Military Grade Aluminum" is just a marketing buzz phrase to lure in the uninformed. We also know that Ford makes a good truck. I guess it just sounds better then "ASNI Standards Aluminum" or even "Civilian Grade Aluminum". Marketing and buzz phrases abound in the world we live in and the marketing geniuses will create any phrase they want, even misleading, to sell their product to the ignorant public. I particularly like the buzz term that has been around for a long time that claims the product is made from "Billet Aluminum". I once asked a salesman what alloy his billet was, and he responded that it was billet, my brother dragged me out of the shop after I was asked to leave because I was being an A-Hole that didn't know what I was talking about..
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Military Grade aluminum is no longer available. That's because the DoD/federal Govimint now uses AMS specs.

AMS specs are Aerospace Material Specifications, so I applaud Ford for not trying to pass their stuff off as "Aerospace Qualified Aliminum".
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #29
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Military Grade aluminum is no longer available. That's because the DoD/federal Govimint now uses AMS specs.

AMS specs are Aerospace Material Specifications, so I applaud Ford for not trying to pass their stuff off as "Aerospace Qualified Aliminum".
What next from Ford......so light it can fly truck.....F=150's being airdropped from C-17's and C130's??? Although I hope it goes better for Ford than this......just remember, each HMMWV costs the American taxpayer $250,000.00 dollars; and they destroyed three of them.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just remember the old axiom: "everything is air droppable at least once...."

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote