Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #521
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I can't refuel it at home
What? You don't have any gas cans?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #522
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Yes; they are just different limitations. Some people cannot see that.
That’s because many of the folks on here are old. I remember in the ‘80s this old dude used to claim there was a pill you could put in water and run your car on it. He claimed the oil companies bought the pill and got rid of it. He also claimed GM bought all the streetcars and burned them.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #523
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
What? You don't have any gas cans?
Sure, I could put a couple of fuel cans in my car, drive to a gas station, fill them up with diesel, drive home and dump them into my truck. But if I had an electric truck I could simply plug it in and charge it up overnight. As a bonus, where I live electricity is 50% cheaper at night and on weekends.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 11-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #524
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Talking

Quote:
Sure, I could put a couple of fuel cans in my car, drive to a gas station, fill them up with diesel, drive home and dump them into my truck. But if I had an electric truck I could simply plug it in and charge it up overnight. As a bonus, where I live electricity is 50% cheaper at night and on weekends.
But, you CAN fuel up at home!

Some of the arguments I have heard from EV cheerleaders about how I can use an EV truck were just that silly. Most of them boiled down to I needed to change my driving needs.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #525
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
It looks like one of the cars I designed long ago. Simple design, low on polygons.

I did put a deposit on one. How could I not! I own a Model 3.
crackin' me up!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #526
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Somebody just brought up the new Tesla pickup and Aztek in the same sentence...poor Aztek, you use to be the ugliest vehicle ever designed; but now you:re not.[emoji23]
Pretty sad when people compare you to an Aztek.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #527
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:

Some of the arguments I have heard from EV cheerleaders about how I can use an EV truck were just that silly. Most of them boiled down to I needed to change my driving needs.
No one is forcing anything. But you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not look at the totality of the owner/driver experience when comparing ICE's to EV's. People who don't are making silly arguments as well.

For pulling a trailer it is clear that EVs currently only work in limited cases but they are improving all the time and I'd be surprised if in 20 years a substantial number of trailers are pulled with EVs or perhaps FCV.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #528
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:

I guess I should have been clearer in my comment. My point was that if I had an electric truck I could plug it in each night and recharge it at a much lower cost than filling up with diesel. Not sure why you consider that advantage to be silly. To me it would be great to start every trip with a full "tank" at a lower cost than diesel. That's just one of many advantages.

I expect that when I get an electric truck (if I can afford one!) I may have to change some of my driving habits. It might take longer to charge than filling with diesel and I might have to plan ahead a little more to know where I'm going to charge it. To expect that getting an electric vehicle won't involve any change on the driver's part is missing the point that our current vehicles are causing air pollution that contributes to health problems and climate change. Air pollution is more than just an inconvenience to someone with asthma.

I don't think that we can solve the problems of air pollution from vehicles without some change to our personal habits. We shouldn't expect to get something for nothing.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #529
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
I guess I should have been clearer in my comment. My point was that if I had an electric truck I could plug it in each night and recharge it at a much lower cost than filling up with diesel. Not sure why you consider that advantage to be silly. To me it would be great to start every trip with a full "tank" at a lower cost than diesel. That's just one of many advantages.

asthma.

That great if you’re driving home every night. I think EVs have lots of potential in a general everyday around town application.

But that’s not my use. Truck is used as a TV for about 75% of miles away from home. Maybe that explains s why our requirements are so different. I don’t have an easy way to recharge nightly when not in use.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #530
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the Tesla Pickup Truck thread has been closed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ck-189602.html

The last dozen or so posts are well said, and the video posted by Tuco in Post #331 is worth watching IMO. [You can go to time stamp 16:00 for the basic conclusions.]

Peter

[click on URL at the top of the frame to open up a new tab/window with Full Screen etc. options]
Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That Tesla Pickup thread is now open for comments again.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #532
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
And it has been closed again temporarily for maintenance.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #533
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Got to love the Rivian tank turn[emoji41]

https://youtu.be/De__NfUvaz8

This truck can't come soon enough.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #534
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Pretty impressive truck that Rivian, and not weird looking like the Cybertruck.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #535
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI the Tesla Pickup Truck thread has been closed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ck-189602.html
. . .
FYI that thread is still temporarily closed for maintenance.

FYI
Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #536
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Winchester , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I will be ready to talk about electric when:

1. Eliminate Subsidies.
2. It can compete on all levels with the ICE.

Until than it will be nothing more than a limited use personal vehicle or like in Tesla's case just another expensive toy.
How is that for a poke in the eye. One buys an expensive toy like a boat and ends up paying a luxury tax. Buy a Tesla and the taxpayer will kick in a tax rebate.
So now the Subsidies have been removed from Tesla and they are still not just competing but beating Ford etc. have you placed your order yet.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #537
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
A $7500 subsidy is available for the Rivian to be launched end of this year.

EV's at this point in time are totally impractical and expensive to own/operate even after the subsidies. Their main attraction is their toy value, but that's also true for most ICE vehicles that we buy now.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #538
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post

EV's at this point in time are totally impractical and expensive to own/operate even after the subsidies. Their main attraction is their toy value, but that's also true for most ICE vehicles that we buy now.
I would disagree.....the tipping point in use ability, maintenance and cost to own is rapidly heading towards EV's.
I would rather pay for a bit more at the beginning of a new technology than be stuck with an ICE vehicle at the end of its technological run, searching for an open gas station, that isn't charging $10.00 per gallon, 10 years from now.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #539
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Biggest problem with the Rivian: battery is not large enough for towing.

Doing the math, the top Rivian could only pull my Airstream Classic 60-70 miles before needing to be fully recharged.

Even with double the kWh battery pack as the Rivian, my ordered Tri-Motor Cybertruck will only be able to pull it 120-140 miles.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #540
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post

You couldn't be more wrong.

Rivian may need a subsidy due to their high prices, but the current Tesla EVs out on the market don't need subsidies to sell. In fact, in many metrics including performance and value, they simply outperform their ICE brethren period.

Way beyond toy status, the tipping point has already come and gone. If you don't believe it's here, it's time to open your eyes. Traditional manufacturers are loosing significant market share already as their products are no longer competitive.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/10...y-a-landslide/

Cybertruck is coming and it won't matter if you believe it will succeed or not. It will change the playing field for trucks much like the Tesla sedans have for luxury and mainstream sedans. And sports cars for that matter. Why pay $80 for a tank of gas when it may do the same on $8 of electrons?
Closed Thread