Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #481
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Just do a simple search and quit insulting me. --------
So glad I did not ask for your advice and assistance! Yes, everyone here CAN learn to use Search... four responses, pick one:

1) feel gratified that you could be helpful AND that your explanation might be clearer than some multi-syllabic, jargon filled geek's

2) recognize that we are all ignorant, just on different subjects

3) If you think you are being insulted because you have been given credit for having a high I.Q. perhaps you need a social cue, so here goes: you CAN slow down to help a normal to moderately gifted person, but that person CANNOT change into a genius to suit your convenience or demands

4) you did have the option of remaining silent and not wasting your mighty intellect on us, the unwashed masses

That was a misunderstanding between another poster and me for which we cleared up.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #482
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
When to go electric for a tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
I posted more details in my other thread, but generally speaking, we can get about 120 miles between charges with the Airstream behind us. A typical travel day is under 300 miles, though we've done 400. We leave the campsite full (because we plug into the 50A) and stop once after 100 or so miles, charge for 30-45 minutes, stop a second time for the same or less charging time, and arrive at the next campsite ready to plug in. Battery charging speed tapers as the pack gets full, so we try not to have to go all the way full between stops, but sometimes it's unavoidable. The biggest battery pack available now on the X would make this a lot easier, but I'm hoping for an announcement on an even bigger one.. we'll see.

On the trip past Glacier, we charged in Missoula and then stayed in West Glacier for a couple of nights. Circuited the park, camped in East Glacier for a few more at the KOA, then drove north across the border and charged at Fort MacLeod, then Calgary, then over to Banff for camping. A handful of days in Banff. So during that whole duration, we only really stopped for charging a few times - most of the charging happened at the campsites. That's just a little bit of planning.

Interesting. What kind of vehicle do you have? Airstream? Cost of vehicle? How much does towing reduce range? What does it cost to charge if not at a campground? Curious.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #483
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Interesting. What kind of vehicle do you have? Airstream? Cost of vehicle? How much does towing reduce range? What does it cost to charge if not at a campground? Curious.
I've got a Tesla Model X and an Airstream Sport 22. Vehicle cost ranges quite a bit depending on build. I have a 90kWh battery that is no longer offered. Towing reduces range by just less than half, so I mentally consider about half as the limit and that gives me a little breathing room. Charging is included with the purchase, so when traveling I will charge at Tesla chargers and not pay anything. The campgrounds don't charge extra either, and at home I use a 10kW solar array to charge both of my EVs (we have two EVs and no ICE vehicles).

For more information, check out my thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html
Old 12-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #484
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
When to go electric for a tow vehicle

Have you ever thought about using a generator to charge in a pinch? Or would that take too long? What kind of horsepower and torque? I have 28’. So present EVs may not work until a more powerful vehicle is made. Also how does it work going down hills. Is there any kind of engine breaking or gearing?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #485
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Have you ever thought about using a generator to charge in a pinch? Or would that take too long? What kind of horsepower and torque? I have 28’. So present EVs may not work until a more powerful vehicle is made. Also how does it work going down hills. Is there any kind of engine breaking or gearing?
A lot of electric cars have regenerative braking, which charges the batteries as the car brakes. The Nissan Leaf for example actually only has one pedal control, so as you come off the gas the car will begin braking by itself, almost to a stop.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #486
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I should have added a link to the above post to better explain how the system works........it will actually stop itself and hold on a hill.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-n...1420699463196/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM   #487
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
ohmman's dedicated Model X Towing thread [linked in Post #483] is chock full of this information and photos:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #488
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Ahhh guys, nirvana has come....well, almost.

Up to 35,000 lb tow capacity, 15 minute charge with possible upgrade to 5 minute charge, 0-60mph 5 seconds, 1 metre wading, 300, 400, 500 mile range.......

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/07/atlis-xt-pickup/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #489
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/arizona...red-semitrucks

Very interesting. A hydrogen powered truck with 1000hp and 2,000lbs of torque. Going to be mass produced.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #490
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/arizona...red-semitrucks

Very interesting. A hydrogen powered truck with 1000hp and 2,000lbs of torque. Going to be mass produced.
I will believe it when I see it! However, I support people doing this and I hope he gets the capital to build the necessary fueling stations. Tesla doing so kick-started the EV market and they fuel cell market really needs something/someone similar for it to go anywhere.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #491
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Tesla pickup

Is a pickup from Tesla "just around the corner?"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te..._theo_homepage
https://electrek.co/guides/tesla-pickup-truck/
https://electrek.co/2019/07/27/tesla...-details-musk/

Any other recent articles out there?

Peter
Old 09-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #492
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
https://carbuzz.com/news/someone-s-b...-big-rig-punch
Old 09-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #493
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great link thanks!

Peter
Old 09-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #494
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
More Freightliners

https://www.act-news.com/news/daimle...try-milestone/

The eCascadia (Class 8) is the same info as the link above, but also noted in this story is the release of the eM2. That is the battery electric version of the Freightliner M2, a Class 6 truck, commonly used as a base for Super C motorhomes. It is easy to imagine an all electric motorhome in the near future.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #495
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Yeah, from my perspective, once the cargo hauling sector gets on board, things are going to move quickly. I have no brand loyalty - this is just a more efficient and effective means of hauling heavy stuff. It's tough to argue against efficiency.

I'm excited for a new non-Tesla EV tow vehicle to enter the market. Whether that be Rivian or some new entrant, I don't care. I just want to see other people pulling trailers with electric propulsion.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #496
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Just as I was reading these comments there was a loud bang outside and the power on the street went out. It made me think that no matter how good the electric vehicle becomes it will still have to rely on the grid. I'm not sure your typical electric grid is reliable enough to power a transportation system. Routinely, storms knock out power for a week or two. And god forbid there is a nuclear attack. You're not going anywhere.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #497
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Gas stations need electricity to operate the fuel pumps.

In case of nuclear attack? I think we'll have bigger problems (the few still living anyway) than worries about electric vehicle charging.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #498
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
I sometimes look at my Airstream as a bomb shelter. If things get hot I can hopefully get the heck out there.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #499
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Here in Florida, most of the gas stations along the interstate and major thoroughfares have backup generators...

I have 11.5 kW of power on my roof but it auto-disconnects during outages to protect the linemen. I could install a Tesla Powerwall as a backup system and my solar company now does this as an add-on.

Our most frequent loss of power is guys in pickups taking out a pole.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #500
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Just as I was reading these comments there was a loud bang outside and the power on the street went out. It made me think that no matter how good the electric vehicle becomes it will still have to rely on the grid. I'm not sure your typical electric grid is reliable enough to power a transportation system. Routinely, storms knock out power for a week or two. And god forbid there is a nuclear attack. You're not going anywhere.
Some areas are more prone to power outages than others. We've been in our current home for 24 years and only twice in that time was the power was out long enough to be an inconvenience. Well, it might have been an inconvenience if we hadn't been away both times.

As for a nuclear attack, you're overthinking this!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Closed Thread