Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #341
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
In stopped traffic I used to shut off the extra stuff that ran off the 12V battery. The motor had its own 144V pack.
So on a hot day, you would actually turn off the air conditioning, just to minimize the drain on the battery, even though the stopped traffic would be moving again soon, and your battery would then get fully charged?

I am confused as to why you would "shut off the extra stuff," and what this would entail. Plus the logic . . . ?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So on a hot day, you would actually turn off the air conditioning, just to minimize the drain on the battery, even though the stopped traffic would be moving again soon, and your battery would then get fully charged?

I am confused as to why you would "shut off the extra stuff," and what this would entail. Plus the logic . . . ?

Thanks
Vehicle did not have air conditioning.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #343
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
Many Teslas also evacuated. Chargers were up the whole time. Did all gas stations have gas?
I had no problem getting gas.
"Chargers were up the whole time." What does that mean?
You mean they never lost power? Hard to believe, everyone I know lost power for a while.
But let's say they never lost power. How long does it take to charge a Tesla so it can go 200 miles? Once a car is using the charger, the other cars are stuck waiting. If I wait for gas it's 20 minutes, it I wait for a charger it's???

This is like trying to convince someone who buys the latest Apple product that the i-phone 8 may not be the best phone. "What? no, I stood in line to get this phone."
Old 10-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #344
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You mean they never lost power? Hard to believe, everyone I know lost power for a while.
But let's say they never lost power. How long does it take to charge a Tesla so it can go 200 miles? Once a car is using the charger, the other cars are stuck waiting. If I wait for gas it's 20 minutes, it I wait for a charger it's???

This is like trying to convince someone who buys the latest Apple product that the i-phone 8 may not be the best phone. "What? no, I stood in line to get this phone."
No, I don't think that even makes sense as an analogy.

I get it, you aren't convinced on a technology that you have absolutely no experience with. Good enough.

There was a long discussion among those with experience driving both EV and ICE here. Certainly pros and cons, but not something to dismiss out of hand without the benefit of education or experience on the technologies.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #345
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

I don't think most people make a vehicle choice based on what happens in a state emergency. I don't see anyone trying to sell EVs on here. And there aren't a whole lot of opinions based on having actually driven one.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #346
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
No, I don't think that even makes sense as an analogy.
of course.

Quote:
I get it, you aren't convinced on a technology that you have absolutely no experience with. Good enough.
I have no experience with robbing a bank, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Quote:
There was a long discussion among those with experience driving both EV and ICE Certainly pros and cons, but not something to dismiss out of hand without the benefit of education or experience on the technologies.
I just asked a simple question, "How long does it take to charge a Tesla to go 200 miles?"
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #347
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
I just asked a simple question, "How long does it take to charge a Tesla to go 200 miles?"

About 20 minutes.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #348
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI if the discussion needs to heat up any more, The Argue Thread is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

Also FYI ohmman has a long thread with lots of interesting discussions about Towing With his Tesla X:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html

As I commented on that thread, and on this one too perhaps, we test drove a Model X last summer, and it was indeed an eye opener.

The future is here.

Peter

PS -- It is a shame when folks get hot under the collar about the entire subject matter of electric vehicles, hybrids and so forth. Aggressive posts diminish the discussion IMO, and eventually result in threads being closed.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
No need to close a thread.
I like a spirited discussion, but I'll bow out.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #350
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Buy your F-150 and pay really huge dollars for it, as increased prices and profits from trucks sales are paying for electric car development.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/28/...ound-ab-tile-3

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #351
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Tesla today opened two new 40-stall charging stations in California. I'm guessing they'll be discussing them tomorrow when they reveal the Tesla Truck (semi).

Photo attached from Tesla Motors Club when they first pulled the cones. The location of this one is on I-5 so it'll be pretty active most days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	666D14C8-1DA2-4197-8226-5EAE78B4E32A.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	299190  
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Looks like your rig towing the AS could pull through with the trailer hitched up, or is the entry/exit a little tight for this? [hard to tell from the single photo]

Thanks again for your thread about towing with the Model X:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html

Cheers,

Peter
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #353
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Looks to maximize use (two ports) as opposed to providing a pull through for a trailer. But pulling in on the outside location at the end (near side) should allow a charge without blocking a port. Maybe an option? Pat
Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #354
Site Team

, Minnesota
Some of these Superchargers are located near a truckstop or a Starbucks. Some have their own lounges.

Question: are the lounges only for Tesla owners, or can I just drive up and buy a cup of coffee? Do you need a Tesla key fob to get in? Are they peopled with a concierge/custodian?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #355
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Most of the existing lounges are paired with a service center. This is the first Supercharger only lounge. Reports are that it is staffed until 8pm (but open 24/7) and requires a pin code to enter. The car provides you the current PIN on the center console as you pull into the lot. So it seems itís generally Tesla only. There is no general parking anyway, so youíd have to block a charger to stay, and obviously that would be frowned upon.

I likely wonít charge here with the AS. There are lots of other Tesla options along that route and most have easier ingress/egress. Harris Ranch is a good example of one about 30 miles away that is very easy.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #356
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
For those who missed it, the Tesla Semi was announced last night. Some features:
  • 80,000GVWR
  • 500 miles of range at highway speeds with full load (above number)
  • 30 minutes to charge to 400 miles of range
  • 0-60 in 5.0 seconds with or without trailer
  • 0-60 in 20 seconds with full load
  • Driver in center of cab with panoramic windshield
  • Four battery packs and four motors with full redundancy (can lose two motors and still drive)

You can see it here: http://www.tesla.com/semi

I won't be buying one to haul my Airstream, but it does set a nice profile for a smaller version of a TV (Tesla pickup, perhaps).

Edit: So far, they've had orders from Walmart, J.B. Hunt, Loblaw's Grocery, and a couple of smaller orders.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #357
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
So the title of this thread is "When to go electric for a tow vehicle" .

For all practical purposes probably in the next 5 years for late early adopters . Then within the next 10 years for anyone else . This based on whats available today BUT if there is EV pickups in the major manufactures pipelines now that could speed things up.

Of course more highway high speed charging stations along with a rural infrastructure would complete the transition .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #358
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
So the title of this thread is "When to go electric for a tow vehicle" .

For all practical purposes probably in the next 5 years for late early adopters . Then within the next 10 years for anyone else . This based on whats available today BUT if there is EV pickups in the major manufactures pipelines now that could speed things up.

Of course more highway high speed charging stations along with a rural infrastructure would complete the transition .

Agree
Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #359
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Bend , Oregon
As a Tesla owner, I will never buy another internal combustion engined car. I do have solar panels on my house so I no longer have to dig up coal in my backyard.

A truck is a different matter at this time. Mercedes is actively developing commercial electric trucks and now Tesla is promising an electric semi truck by 2019. Iím not sure of the reality but 80,000 cargo capacity and 400 miles between quick charges starts to look practical. Tesla has struggled a little lately getting Model 3 production rolling but Models S and X have hit all the targets from a real world practical point of view. Weíll see if the Tesla semi hitís 2019 goal but donít rule it out. If so, how far behind could a electric truck to tow our Airstreams be?
By the way, one of the activities at Teslaís giga factory is lithium battery recycling.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #360
Site Team

, Minnesota
A Model X P100D was parked next to me at the bread store.

It was a lot beefier looking than the first Model X I saw about a year ago.

The owner offered me a ride around the block but I declined because I knew I would need to buy one. Loved the hinged rear doors. Inside looked like a space ship.
Closed Thread