Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Get a bigger hammer right?
I like big stuff. Here's my new tow vehicle diesel:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18kzmo37frpj4jpg.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	343649  
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Like moosetags I won’t attempt to tell you what you need, just what we use. We have an Ford F250 Super Duty with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel. Very comfortable and reliable and easy maintenance.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
I like big stuff. Here's my new tow vehicle diesel:

I just had to look that up. Amazing!

https://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-most-...engine-5822447
Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I'm from the school that if you need a weight distribution hitch to be safe, then you need to get a bigger truck.
I have a bigger truck and a Hensley. If you need to agonize over weight slips like you’re doing a weight and balance on an airplane, get a bigger truck.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I have a bigger truck and a Hensley. If you need to agonize over weight slips like you’re doing a weight and balance on an airplane, get a bigger truck.

I don't care how I load my trailer, but when I do move my 900 pound tool box while towing the Airstream, I put it up against the cab. That just seems like the smart move.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	343663

I have my own truck scale, so I am able to weigh my combination any way I like, but I've never weighed my trailer tongue weight.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What Truck to Purchase?

Including tongue weight, that's probably about 2,100 lbs "payload" plus the two of us and our three Boxer dogs....

I use my normally pretty loose WD to make up the slack when I'm loaded heavy like that.

(I made a lot of thousand mile trips like that)

Does that make me a bad person?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Do it right the first time. Get a 3/4 ton diesel. It makes towing so easy.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Do it right the first time. Get a 3/4 ton diesel. It makes towing so easy.

What if a person feels that they got it right when they settled on a half ton or a Touareg.... etc?

What if different people have different priorities and different expectations?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Continue to appreciate the great info and insights

Again, I really appreciate the Info and especially sharing personal thoughts on and experiences with trucks. Most posts are either talking Ford or RAM, any opinions on Chevy or GMC Silverado’s ?
mcclesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
I also appreciate the opinions on the size of the AS. We have gone to the dealer and sat in and spent time in each size a fair amount. Pretty much decided on the 27 FT, But I echo the issue with the dining area not being very conducive to being a lounge for watching TV. Ultimate airstream has a good custom grand lounge configuration, would be a very expensive upgrade and still not what I would envision, but better than the standard 27FT set up.
May need to take another look at the 28FT
mcclesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM   #51
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a 27FB and a RAM 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi and max tow configuration. We use an Equal-i-zer hitch because that's what the Airstream dealer sold us. We have towed with this combo since the end of 2013. We lived in this rig full time for eight months. We have crossed the country multiple times and towed through multiple mountain ranges, including the Rockies, the Cascades, the Sierras, the Appalachians, etc., and have traveled up and down grades that apparently make strong men in small trucks weep in fear. We have never had an issue.
Here's a few of those grades:
* The infamous "Kingsbury grade," route 207 out of the south end of Lake Tahoe.
* Kings Canyon road, route 180, between the valley below and the Azalea Campground in Kings Canyon NP.
* The Twenty Nine Palms Highway, Route 62, between Joshua Tree NP and the valley below, on I-10.
* And of course, I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver.

That said, we're careful and sensible. We don't go down a grade any faster than we climbed it. We use the engine to slow us down, keeping our brakes cool for when we need them. Sure, we're close on load capacity, though nowhere near the towing capacity. So, we compensate by not carrying a lot of junk around and we travel as lightly as we can.

So, don't let folks scare you into buying a big ol' truck to tow your Airstream unless you want one anyway. Nothing wrong with a big ol' truck if it makes you happy. So, pick the tow vehicle that works best for you. Maybe it's a 1/2 ton with max tow. Maybe it's a 3/4 ton. Maybe it's even bigger. Maybe it's something else altogether. Look at the tow and load capacity numbers to see whether you're in the ballpark, understand that car/truck dealers don't understand or care about load capacity vs. tow capacity, realize that the online specs for Airstream will underestimate the actual tongue weight, think about how much junk you need to enjoy your journey, and pick a vehicle.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclesp View Post
Again, I really appreciate the Info and especially sharing personal thoughts on and experiences with trucks. Most posts are either talking Ford or RAM, any opinions on Chevy or GMC Silverado’s ?
Well, this is generally an question with fierce loyalty for the answer. I have never owned a Ford or MOPAR product so how do you think I will answer? Actually, for a couple of years I counted tow vehicles at Airstream rallies and there were more GM tow vehicles than the others, however the RAM's have become very popular because of the creature comforts. I have had 4 GM trucks and my current 3/4 ton Silverado LT is the best I have ever had. Except for the view out the rear window, you would never know there is an Airstream behind me. I put an ARE topper on it so all my junk is protected and locked up.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I also appreciate the opinions on the size of the AS. We have gone to the dealer and sat in and spent time in each size a fair amount. Pretty much decided on the 27 FT, But I echo the issue with the dining area not being very conducive to being a lounge for watching TV. Ultimate airstream has a good custom grand lounge configuration, would be a very expensive upgrade and still not what I would envision, but better than the standard 27FT set up.
Agree; the Ultimate Airstream modifications are pretty sweet but pricy...we have been in a couple modified new "grand lounge 25' and 27' models few years ago, but they were pretty pricy!

27' twin vs 28' twin....lots of great space in both including outside storage with the twin models; but to us, the seating arrangement on the 28' works best...more options to separate using dinette for eating, games, or computer work, while the L-couch provides a great space to visit or watch TV. The 27' offers more hall closet space, but for us, the 28' has plenty storage...we converted the second "hanging closet" behind the shower at the foot of the twin bed to shelves so both have shelves., and we reinforced with L-brackets..funny, AS now has done the same...added shelving and support brackets to the new models of the 28'. Confusing that the 27' model is really 28' long, and the 28' is 27'11"...

We have a 2017 model...we plan on swapping out the cushions with the newer 2019' cushions when we go to Jackson center in the fall. Aside from that, I would love to have that recliner couch like the 30' Classic has, and also the newer cooktop...but that couch won't work with the 28', plus it's around $9K...and hard to justify a new cooktop when the one we have works fine. I know It's only money...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lots of really good choices out there. Personally I think you hav avoided the BIG mistake... buying a teeny Airstream, then needing to move up, and maybe up again before you find "the one".

My first tow vehicle was a Suburban 2500 SUV. Got 12 mpg not towing and 11 mpg towing. Sucked as a daily driver. BUT I did not have to buy tow mirrors, put in a bed liner or bed slide, add a cap or need a ladder to get in the back. Side door access is wonderful, and yank the 3rd row seating for more load capacity. A good bit harder to break into than a topper, too.

Buy any 60K truck, then add 20K worth of stuff to end up with what you start with if you choose a Suburban or Expedition 3/4 ton. Still gas hogs, so buy electric bikes or Segways for local travel.

Frame on vans like the older Fords arent bad either. Not quite as cushy as the Burb... but lots of room for stuff a.fulltimer needs.

Trucks - I once pulled a 10 meter Avion with an F150 Ecoboost. That truck's anti sway really worked. My hand still had to be pried off the brake controller every time I stopped. If you are on the line between a 1/2 and a 3/4 ton pickup... go big or you'll dye the seats yellow all too soon.

Final real suggestion... really do try out as many trucks, vans and SUVs as you can, but your very first tow vehicle will feel like a mistake no matter what you choose. So? Get something you kinda like, but well used - that is about 2 steps above a "beater". If you love it drive it til it dies, then go to your nearest dealer and get A) another pre-dented for stress free driving vehicle or B) buy your dream vehicle knowing it is your right choice and be back on the road within 1 to 3 days. You are RETIRED so duh why not.
YOUR perfect tow vehicle is a very personal choice.

Of course there are exceptional tow vehicles... a semi tractor with a Smart car mounted sideways behind the driver. Or Smokeless Joe's flat bed Mercedes truck with an 8000 cc diesel generator and a MiniCooper on thr bed. Or who was it that made me drool at the idea of having a commercial truck with a utility bed and all sorts of locked compartments for his tools, Lincoln arc welder, and a fold down cot for an extra passenger. Needed a CDL for that I think.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Quote:
I recommend taking another good look, with the mindset of "how does this feel if I'm living in it every day and night full time". Go in, spend a couple hours inside, and sit down for a while. Act as if you're at home at night, lounging around, reading, watching TV, etc. Do this for each model you're seriously considering. After you do it for a while in one, you'll figure out quickly what you like and don't like, and testing out the other models will go quicker because you'll know right away what to look for.

Is it comfortable? Does the seat feel good after an hour or two? Would you enjoy watching a 2 hour movie in the seats? What about if it's raining and you're spending most of the day inside?

Your instinct that the lounge in the 27 not being great for watching TV is almost certainly correct, for you. If you feel that now, you'll likely feel it even more once you've signed on the dotted line and you're spending the first couple of nights in it.

It's kinda like buying a mattress. You can't tell if it's good for you by spending 10-15 mins laying down on it in the store. It takes more time for the discomfort to set in.

We started out looking at a 25, then a 27, then a 28. We thought long and hard about how we'd be living in it. We looked for probably 2 years before finally doing it. We ended up with a Classic 30 because hands down it was the most comfortable and livable option for us. We felt at home right away, and still do when we're hanging out in the evenings having dinner, reading, watching TV, etc.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
If you’re going to Mexico, you may want to consider an A1 Abrams
I think M1-A3 Abrams are better.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis View Post
According to Consumer Reports the Toyota Tundra is the most reliable pickup.
I quit reading CR when they favor all foreign vehicles. Expedition is one of long lasting vehicles and its not in CR lately. so no more spending $ on CR.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Scott City , Missouri
Why limit yourself to one truck? Five year trip can cover lots of territory. If you choose the mountains and Canada first get a diesel. When your done with that and want to see the rest of the US trade it in on something with better turning radius, cheaper fuel and overall better ride. Diesel hold there resale pretty good . If you decide to go the other route first you might consider a Tundra , #1 resale and reliability.
80Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
The most powerful diesel you can buy! ( One less issue to worry about.)
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
Toyota Tundra
https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...ue-weight.html