Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Certainly if money means nothing to a person he should buy the biggest most expensive one ton he can put his hands on in order to tow the Airstream that the average buyer won't tow 5,000 miles a year.

It makes perfect sense....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #22

Olive Branch , Mississippi
According to Consumer Reports the Toyota Tundra is the most reliable pickup.
swillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis View Post
According to my experience... 100% agree.
Toyota Land Cruisers... 100% agree.

I had no problems towing with the 4.7L Tundra Crew Max a 23 foot Airstream. On the edge, but no problem towing nor the vehicle.

I had no problems towing a 25 foot Airstream with the 5.7L Tundra Crew Max. The springs were flat and on the edge, but no problem towing nor the vehicle. Although in the Rockies, not my choice as the mountain passes needed serious attention to how to drive without having the brakes overheating.

Some Airstream Trailer brake systems may or may not even be providing the best braking. This can really... spoil a mountain vacation when less then four brakes are engaging. Ask me and see my thread about Dexter Brakes on my 2014 25 foot International. You WILL know when the brakes fail on the trailer. Too late to pull over and replace any when in nowhere.

I bought my first Ford. A 2016 new on the dealer's lot in 2017 with 2018's coming out. It had everything I would have wanted from color to model to bed length... but a diesel. Did well trading in my 2014 Tundra Crew Max still under warranty and did my 'maiden tow trip' in the Rocky Mountains.

Wonderful experience, although the Tundra had a better fit from the factory of body and hardware. Better mileage towing than the Tundra by at least DOUBLE. Oil changes are more expensive.

Land Cruisers... had them since the six cylinder straight models... excellent for 4x4's, but never would want to tow a large trailer. Still have a 2008 since new and great local driver.

Ford F350 Diesel 4x4: Sold the Airstream. Kept the truck, love driving it in town or out in the Rocky Mountains. Had there been a F250 gasoline model available... I would have liked to test drive it... but none. If I want to drive a F350 to Costco I do. I have friends who drive a Range Rover, new 2019/20 that cost a lot more than my F350 and it is about the size of a Jeep. Not on my towing list, at all.

People SEE the maroon F350 4x4 on Las Vegas highways. Like a bus surrounded by VW Bugs.

We are at that age where money is no longer an issue, but health and well being still is. Would I have chosen my vehicles differently? Nope.

I always purchase a vehicle with the intent of... SELLING it later. All have worked out as great vehicles. Just avoid getting less vehicle because you cannot park it in a lot. You will, sooner than later.

The 5.7L Tundras have a SHORTER turning radius than the smaller 4.7L Tundras. No kidding. This has been a very good thread for those looking.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
It also received a Poor crash test rating.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Find yourself a low mile (under 100K on the OD) 1999-2003 Ford 7.3 Diesel Excursion or F250/F350 Crewcab 4x4 out of a dry area of the country (no snow, salt, etc..) and it will out live you.

Look to spend between $20K-$30K.

Low taxes, low insurance cost, a safe ride, will be all the truck you'll ever need.

I have a 2002 Excursion with 410K on the OD, still running strong. Transmission at 370K on the OD, no other major issues.

Enjoy,
Old 06-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Consumer reports still around ?

Quote:
LOL 'Consumer reports' is still in business ? Bezos buy them also ?

Other than the 'hate diesel crowd' & 'hate the truck' crowd, this thread has been pretty tame. I'm surprised. ( Truly) but the night is young.

yeah if you're going to full time, get something durable and strong enough to tame that ''tail wagging the dog action'. Personally I like my Cummins powered truck. CTD's are very reliable.
I would go with 'moosetags' advice. Follow his threads, he has been on some good long trips. He is pulling with a 'truck' for a reason.

I can hitch my 28' International, to my Jeep Rubicon, or my Mini Countryman, and free and easy down the road I go.
Just because you can, doesn't make it right. I use the Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, and enjoy the ride. I suggest the same. Be safe.

Have a good one!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #27
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
Trucks - one of my favorite topics

Ram diesel 4x4. You won't need anything else.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclesp View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire next year, and will be entering a new era of life as full-time RVers. After a lot of research, we have decided on a 27ft FB as the best AS for our needs. We plan to purchase the AS and a truck next spring.

Our travel plans will include much of the U.S., possibly Canada and Mexico. We are excited to visit our great National Parks. So, we'll be driving in mountain areas often. We are hoping to do the full-time AS lifestyle for 5+ years.

The challenge I am having is with the truck purchase. I have never owned an RV or a truck. I have researched trucks, and for the weight class of the 27ft, I see that both a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton trucks could do the job. Also, not just the size of the truck, but the need for diesel or not, is a question. I understand there are several factors to consider for towing, and am looking for advice, especially the full-time RV community, on how to make the best towing truck decision.
I would not purchase new if that's the case...I would look at a lightly used AS, but only after I spent several hours/trips visiting with AS dealer sitting in new models to understand the features and differences...imagine camping. A used AS likely will have no issues and if you decide the size is too big or too small, you likely can sell it with little or no loss, if you buy at a good price.

That being said, couple comments to consider;

1) Consider the layout above all, and spend some time in it at the dealer before you purchase; how will you want to use it, how will you lounge while watching TV or visiting with friends...now think about 3 or more watching TV on that long lounge...we have owned 3 different 25's, and now have a 28' FC Twin. We seriously considered the 27' as a move "up" for more storage, but the seating arrangement is like the 25' models= unless you drop the dinning table and add the cushions on top for a big lounge, its best for dining; not very comfortable for watching TV, especially with friends or family members. (that's our opinion after owning 2 of the 25's with same seating). Take another look at either the 26U or the 28' or 30' FC models...(really want to enjoy life and AS best experience, check out the 30' Classic and sit in the couch/recliners!)

But, I digress....
2) There are many here who have 1/2T's and love the 1/2T PU for a TV, with all sizes of AS..but bigger is better for larger, heavier AS's (IMHO)...we also went thru 2 Tahoe's and a 1/2T with our 3 different models of 25's. An F150 Echoboost which worked very well with our 25's...it was light on payload however, and when we moved to the 28' FC model, we also moved up to a new 2017 3/4T F250 Diesel...love the truck for the reasons we purchased; power, control, braking (including engine brake), payload, and the ride. 2 years now with this combo and 59K miles...couldn't be happier (except operational cost is more than gas!) Wife is happy and the F250 was her idea...I am glad I listened...yes, diesel costs more to operate but I bought it to pull my larger 28' AS with all my toys, generator, bbq, kayaks, etc.....for us, great decision on both the 28' FC and the F250.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #29
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I don't want to seem rude, but there are a bezillion threads on this subject. I think you need to spend a great deal of time reading past threads. Bottom line: you are not going to get a single clear, concise answer to your question. You will see everything from anything will work fine to you gotta have this combo.
Larry
+1

There must be at least ten of these per year. It would be time well spent to read some of them.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I say go for a 30 footer over the 27, rear twins, gives 4 outside storage compartments, and a MUCH better bathroom/toilet arrangement.

PLUS, you get a couch to sleep on if your wife snores.

I've towed with a half ton and a 3/4 ton. I ain't going back to a half ton.

My 2017 F250 6.2 Gasser DOES engine brake downhills. She revs up nice!!! Sucks gas something terrible, but she tows rock steady, and will haul over 3,000 pounds.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I never spent much time following the other 'Tow Vehicle' Threads... until now.

There are always a number of best options and there are many more bad options. After purchasing a 'bad option', you will feel the disappointment in tow vehicle and the trailer you choose, sets in. Six mpg and a head wind that makes it worse. Pulling up a 4% to 6% grade will suck the power at 8,000 feet elevation faster than your gas tank.

Going down a 4% to 6% grade out west... will give you grey hair sooner, if you have a mismatched tow vehicle, trailer and cargo combination.

The 25 Foot Airstream was a great compromise size for us. Any larger we were limited where we could Boondock Off the Grid. Too small, like our 23 foot, and the 14 inch wheels were a severe mistake by Airstream, and maybe finally improved to 15" D Rated Tires.

Several 28 foot Airstreams traveled very well on several western Boondocking Adventures with 3/4 tow vehicles.

If people purchased their private Aircraft the way Airstreams and Tow Vehicles are matched... there would be more serious accidents. You will never regret TOO MUCH truck, although you have to consider four people would be comfortable, five a bit compressed.

Once you know what you want... TIRES. D rated 15" or E rated 16" need to be considered. No one said the list is short, did they?

Can more members post how they arrived at the decision of matching a great tow vehicle to the length of trailer? Future owners need to know. I had no help at the beginning. After discovering the Airforums... everyone can make an educated decision. No guessing. This is refreshing.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As a person who has owned and driven A LOT of one ton trucks, I don't even want one to tow my Airstream.

That's me. Certainly opinions will vary.

My tow vehicle is my daily driver, I'm a person who thinks a dedicated tow vehicle is a waste, so I won't even consider it.

A thing that never gets talked about is the weight of the empty truck.

The unladen weight of my 1/2 ton is 4,760 lbs.....

I'm betting there are plenty of one ton diesel trucks that weigh 180% of that...

and hey, if I drive the speed limit when not towing, I'll get over 20 mpg..... if I drive cool and around 60 or 65 while towing, I might get better than 14.5 MPG on good gas.... as low as 8.5 going 80 in a headwind on bad gas......

Old 06-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Fast Lane Trucks video: Do I really need a HD truck to tow 9K trailer?

Really interesting video from the pros at Fast Lane Trucks answering the question "Do You Really Need a Heavy Duty Truck to Tow 9,000 lbs? Ford F-150 vs F-250 MPG Review"
https://youtu.be/T728x3Gkg98

Of course payload should be top of list for half-ton owners towing an Airstream but the results of gas vs. diesel fuel economy were surprising. Yes, I would love the effortless torque of a diesel but the newer gas engine options will do the job.

I'm going for a 19' Ram 2500 with 6.4 gas and 3100# payload. Works for me, your milage may vary!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What Truck to Purchase?

Yeah, I've seen the video, after towing my Airstream for about five years, I'm gonna have to pretty much call BS on the video. [emoji4]

EDIT- Ok, that was a different vid than I thought it was, I'll stick with my position on my 1/2 ton anyway...... [emoji4]

Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
I'd suggest taking a look at a Porsche Cayenne Diesel or VW Touareg TDI. It sounds like you might prefer driving one when unhooked and with ample power, air suspension and huge brakes they tow like a dream (7700lb tow rating!)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...134917-53.html

edit: we use a Cayenne turbo which has ALL the power but sucks down premium (8mpg towing) which was an issue a couple of times in rural areas with stations few and far between, sometimes without premium. I suggest a diesel for better MPG and fuel availability.
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What Truck to Purchase?

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to tow an Airstream.

I wish more people would just accept that and move on.... [emoji4]

Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I'm from the school that if you need a weight distribution hitch to be safe, then you need to get a bigger truck.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What Truck to Purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I'm from the school that if you need a weight distribution hitch to be safe, then you need to get a bigger truck.

Or not.

Maybe your school isn't conductive to more broad minded solutions?

What if one size doesn't actually fit all?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I'll second that.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
I'll second that.

Get a bigger hammer right?