Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Porsche Cayenne towing capacity

7716 pounds....

Should adequately pull any AS but a Classic with no issues. But, having been this route, with a gasoline Cayenne Turbo, I would not purchase one except to take a look at the specs on the new Diesel when it is finally here, then decide if this works.

The big Kenworth's and other tow rigs are great..... unless, one wants to get more than 6 mpg..... but with 250 gallons of fuel, who knows....

I am of the belief my TV is about perfect. If I did it again, I would go for the full luxury version, but am pretty happy with what I have.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel had the power to pull the new empty 2023 25FB home from Los Angles to Phoenix. The scales reported the weights were okay. Once the trailer was loaded for camping, my wife and I crossed the scales with the rig. We were over loaded on the front axle and GVW of the car.

We switched to a new 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins and modified the suspension and and fuel system. It pulled the 25FB easily and does a great job with the 2014 Classic. The increase of GVW from 7,300 pounds for 25FB to 10,000 pounds for the Classic does not faze this truck. It pulls well both up and down mountain with engine braking a bonus.

I did a lot of research and could not find a half ton rated truck with the necessary payload for what we carry in the back under a camper shell and the tongue weight we have with our modified Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
In Phoenix, AZ, today, diesel is 90-cents higher than gasoline.

Just curious... With a diesel tow vehicle's initial engine-upgrade cost, extra weight, expensive oil changes and periodic maintenance, higher priced fuel, and higher repair cost when the engine breaks down; is a diesel-powered vehicle still preferred, even if a gasoline engine is available that is powerful enough to satisfactorily tow a specific Airstream model?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #24

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
That's a call only you can make. As for myself I would buy the identical F350 diesel again

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
I have a '03 30 ft and I have a 2010 Toyota Crew Max. I have 75000 klms ( 46,000 miles) most are from towing. I have towed 30', 32 ' and 34' ASs and not a problem. Hills or valleys or trans versing between both. When I hook up, there isn't any discernible drop in the bumper height and both units sit straight. Starting and stopping are a breeze, even panic stops at highway speeds. As long as the brakes are set correctly, no worries.
As the old saying--" come big or stay home" applies to what you drive or tow and what you want to drive or tow. Options are like---- (another thread)

2 Tundras pulling 30' Airstreams. We're outnumbered...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
In Phoenix, AZ, today, diesel is 90-cents higher than gasoline.

Just curious... With a diesel tow vehicle's initial engine-upgrade cost, extra weight, expensive oil changes and periodic maintenance, higher priced fuel, and higher repair cost when the engine breaks down; is a diesel-powered vehicle still preferred, even if a gasoline engine is available that is powerful enough to satisfactorily tow a specific Airstream model?
A good point and I would think very carefully if/when trading our present
truck - but I have a feeling that even after doing the sums and concluding that a gasser made more sense, I would still be very tempted by the diesel!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A paid-for truck vs. a $40,000 cash outlay or financing makes since. How much diesel or gas can I buy for $40,000?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #28
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you are going to pull in the hills and mountains you need a Diesel. Especially if you have a slide. Turbo diesels perform the same at altitude as at sea level. Diesels have much more low end torque than gassers will ever have. As for fuel prices they are coming down fast and remember, diesel has 40-50% more BTUs per gallon. That means fuel consumption is much less than gassers. About 70% of a gasser. Besides diesel engines are built more for long heavy duty service. Maybe an engine life of 300,000 miles. Some of the Ford diesels engines have not done as well in the past. Hopefully, that is now corrected. I think GM has the best engine/running gear/body track record to date. Dodge has a great diesel, but the running gear/body record is wanting.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Delray Beach , Florida
Can someone comment on the 6 L gas engine from GMC and Dodge when you get into the 2500 3/4 ton series truck? Thanks.
hudstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
6 Liter Gas

I have the Chevy 6 liter gas, 2012 model. I chose the gas version because I just don't tow enough now, to justify the additional costs to purchase the diesel, and maintain it. They are ten grand more, but that's not the ? you asked.

I wanted the GMC as I had a 2500 Yukon XL previously. When I needed a truck, there simply weren't that many gas GMC 2500's on the market. I found this Chevy in NJ, it was certified pre-owned with only 9k miles on it. I saved a bunch, and got the full factory warranty.

Pros: Sits 2" higher than a 1500. Brakes are massive, and boy do they stop this truck. 6 Liter is a proven block, with parts readily available even in the boonies. 300 HP's under the hood. When you need 'em, they are there. 36 1/2 gallon fuel tank. A long way before your next fillup. Frame is huge, and lots of room under the hood. Tows almost anything I can throw at it with ease. Roomy cab. I got the rear DVD, and whoever is in the back can watch a movie, while I listen to XM.
Ride is smooth as silk when towing, and rides better with a load.

Cons: Can be tough to park, even when I chose the 6 1/2 foot bed. I couldn't imagine the 8' bed. A little stiff w/o a load. Don't like the electronics as they were outdated before they even built the vehicle. Leather seats are only partially leather. No bluetooth. Options are WAY overpriced if you buy new. Even tho I have the 3.73 rear end, I feel I should get better gas mileage. No inside handle grips directly above your shoulder. Only at the 2 o'clock mark when seated. Good for entry, worthless for riding. Far too stripped of a vehicle for what you pay. I have SO many upgrades in mine. From window tinting, rear under-seat storage, bed liner & a rubber mat, LED's. For what GMC charges, you should be getting MANY more options on the vehicle.

New, these damn things are now over 50k. With the GMC's in the 60k $ range.
Ridiculous. It's GMC's cash cow, along with their Yukon XL & Denali. Too bad they KNOW this. Sorry, I am a working man paying for three children's college edumacation. My wallet is only so deep. Yes, I am happy with my truck, but I don't like the price I had to pay. If you go with the 2500, make sure you get the 3.73 rear end. The new Cheby's have the 6 speed tranny. My old Yukon did not. If I went much over 65mph in the Yukon, the fuel consumption wasn't worth the 2 extra minutes to get there. Definitely buy used, and preferably re-certified Let someone else take the HUGE hit when THEY drove it off the lot, not you. It does the towing job very well. If you get hit in it, with the size of the frame, THEY are gonna be hurting, not you. I do like the safety factor of the larger & heavier vehicle. My family's safety is worth the extra fuel I pay to own it. It's a beast, but that's what you bhought it for, is to do beastly things. And it does those very well IMHO. Good luck, stay safe, and enjoy the ADVENTURE of owning your AS.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If you are going to pull in the hills and mountains you need a Diesel. Especially if you have a slide. Turbo diesels perform the same at altitude as at sea level. Diesels have much more low end torque than gassers will ever have. As for fuel prices they are coming down fast and remember, diesel has 40-50% more BTUs per gallon. That means fuel consumption is much less than gassers. About 70% of a gasser. Besides diesel engines are built more for long heavy duty service. Maybe an engine life of 300,000 miles. Some of the Ford diesels engines have not done as well in the past. Hopefully, that is now corrected. I think GM has the best engine/running gear/body track record to date. Dodge has a great diesel, but the running gear/body record is wanting.
I'm not saying that there's no support for this, but several items here are significantly overstated.

First off, low-sulfur diesel has about 13% more energy per gallon than gasoline. This is still a real difference but nowhere near 50%. Biodiesel has less chemical energy per volume than ULSD but still a bit more than gasoline, so blends of biodiesel and ULSD will be in the middle.

The "turbo" in turbodiesel is what maintains much of a turbodiesel's sea-level performance at altitude. A turbocharged gasoline engine provides similar benefits at altitude and a direct-injected turbocharged gasoline engine also produces significant low-RPM torque. (Yes I'm aware that turbo DI gasoline is more of a half-ton option, I'm just pointing out that the high-altitude magic comes from the forced induction, not the fuel.)

For fuel consumption, the diesel crowd had a bit of a flat spot as tighter emissions controls were implemented. It seems that the newest models have recovered a lot of the fuel economy that went missing for a few model years, but if you're looking for a lightly-used truck you should see what people have been getting with that model and year in the real world before you bet on getting high towing MPG. It may be worth it to spend a bit more on a newer vehicle, or buy one a year or two OLDER than you would choose otherwise if MPG is a primary consideration.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote