Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Both my 3/4 ton diesels are 4 wd and are my daily drivers.They both have custom suspensions that have improved the ride and handling.Each one has it's own personality,the 94 is a std cab long bed that makes it a better fit in parking and tight quarters,the 05 is a long bed quad cab-a bit long for parking in tight lots.You will never get a truck that can do substantial work to ride like a Caddy that can not work.
Drive what you like-don'
t let strangers that do not know you and your likes and dislikes tell you what you should drive
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
t let strangers that do not know you and your likes and dislikes tell you what you should drive
I agree.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Consumer Reports released their latest Worst New Cars by category today. Interestingly, the Ford 250, rather than Ram or GM, captured the Pick-up rating:

Here's the list by category:

•Compact /Subcompact Cars: Volkswagen Beetle with a 2.5-liter engine

•Midsized Cars: Nissan Altima 3.5 SL

•Large Cars: Ford Taurus Limited

•Luxury Cars: BMW 750Li

•Sports Cars/Convertibles: Chevrolet Camaro convertible 2SS with a V-8

•Wagons/Minivans: Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L

•Small SUVs: Ford Escape SE with a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine

•Midsized SUVs: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

•Luxury/Large SUVs: Nissan Armada Platinum

•Pickups: Ford F-250 Lariat with a 6.7-liter V-8
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Besides parking the 22' RAM 2500 long bed "beast", the main difference was cost. I commute about 55 miles a day, and while the RAM gently driven gets about 17-19mpg, fuel costs add up. I was spending about $100 a week. Then, add the 10k service internals of oil change (12 qts) and 2 fuel filters @$80, and it gets spendy.

I drove the RAM about 4 months as a daily driver, then did a quick spreadsheet to realize if I parked it during the work week, I'd have about $300 month or more to spend. So last week, I found a very low mileage Acura TSX for a bargain price, which gets about 30-32mpg hwy, and is super comfy. Now, best of both worlds: sporty and efficient car for racking up the miles, and a great TV when I need it.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I drove 1/2 ton trucks for many-many years. I switched to 3/4 ton's in 2008 and have had 3 since 2008. All Chevy's. I used 1/2 ton trucks as daily drivers with no problem. The daily driver issues for the 3/4 tons for me is the turning radius which is 55 feet, I believe, for my truck. Turning radius makes it a pain when in parking lots. The other 3/4 ton issue is the mpg. My 6.0 gas engine gets a combine mpg of 12.5. Towing our Safari 25 on average runs about 9 to 9.5 mpg. But I love the the 3/4 ton trucks.

Edit: I looked on GM site and found that my turning radius is 50.5 feet. It is 2 feet larger than a 1500 crew cab with a standard bed. It may only be two feet but it feels like a large difference to me when I am in a parking lot.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiver View Post
Thanks guys. I do know what cars drive like. I've only been driving them for the past 34 years.

I was specifically asking about the truck comparison. Millions of people drive 1/2 ton trucks as their sole vehicle. Heck, half the vehicles in TX must be 1/2 ton pickups. But you don't tend to hear people saying "I love my F150 but it sucks as a daily driver". By contrast, nearly every thread discussing 3/4 ton trucks has someone saying something to the effect of "I love myF250/2500 etc. for towing but it sucks as a daily driver"

I was just wondering what exactly makes say an F250 worse to drive than a similarly sized and appointed F150.
Drive one and find out. Rent one for a weekend or even take a test drive at a dealer's lot.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
A newbie full-timer with an 2011 F250 to pull and when home is parked, it's either the F250 or walking. Since I am an old man, I drive like one and the mileage (14-16) for side trips is acceptable and better than 2000 F150 I had to carry a cab-over slide in a few years back. For parking, it's a beast, but not particular more so than the F150 was. Biggest difference is the stiffer suspension when empty; road maneuvers on a rough patch will definitely have the truck dance a bit. Can't talk to any of the technicalities, but just my 2 cents.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The rollover statistics on pickup trucks should get anyones attention. One doesn't just "walk away". A truck will roll over where a sedan will spin out.

What makes a "real" pickup (3/4 & 1T) a pain to drive is the combination of weight and wheelbase. As we live in a demonstrably stupid society one need only observe that truck drivers drive (a misnomer) a pickup the same way they drive cars. In both cases, cars or trucks, poorly.

Any vehicle pivots off the rear wheels. Long wheelbase makes all turns and other maneuvers slower to complete and to take longer. Time and distance. Doesn't matter where you go or what you do, a truck is slower. If it isn't, the driver needs his head examined.

Unless someone is a full-timer determined to carry waaay too much stuff along while traveling, or has IRS-deductible miles for a truck in business use, then it is an unnecessary choice for pulling an A/S.

Commuting and running errands in a pickup takes quite a bit more energy. Factor in reduced visibility and slick roads and . . hey, the phone is ringing.

There are those (the vapid) who believe that their "skill" will keep them from trouble. 3,061 dead Texans this year might contest that point. Risk minimization is the umbrella needed. And, within that, considerable caution.

A TT that can get through a slalom faster than a pickup while solo is what we have. A better TV than a pickup can be spec'd. A rollover with a TT attached is one truly bad scenario. Stick to the TV types which are far better in this regard (and steer and brake better).

The basics matter. Fully independent suspension cannot be beaten. A FORD Expedition is an example. As would be a HONDA Odyssey. Or a JEEP Grand Cherokee.

CG matters too. Low to the ground. As with a DODGE Charger.

Start iwth a clean sheet of paper. The concerns over weight is a part of faulty assumptions (advertising-driven). Stability is what matters. And weight is a detail in obtaining that.

The time and effort folks put into the TV really ought to be put into understanding why antilock disc brakes on an A/S is a more worthwhile use of their time.

Find the TV that best suits solo duties and that can also pull the TT and be done with it. Brakes and hitche lash-up is what really matters (past tire loads).

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
My daily driver is a 2012 F350 6.7 Turbo Diesel Supercrew longbox 4x4.
I have had many 1/2 tons but I like this truck the best.Took a about a week to get used to the long wheel base.The ride is the same as a 3/4 ton as I have driven them both.I find no drawbacks to this size truck.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think the OP was com pairing half ton to three quarter ton trucks. If that is true then why are all the truck haters hijacking the thread? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I find the major difference between the 1/2 ans 3/4 tons to be ride.

MPG is close, trim levels and options are the same.

I prefer the engine choices in the 3/4 tons. Diesels, in particular.

The GM offerings are my preference, mostly because the four wheel drive models have independent front suspension which offers a better ride and drive than the other manufacturers.

If one comes from truck country, one is comfortable with trucks.

If one lives in the city, they may like a sedan.

No one can make a choice for me, and most of the comments are simply each individual's justification for their own choice.

Or, more disappointingly, their prejudices and judgement against those who's choice that does not match their own.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I'm in the process of ordering a 2500 2WD Diesel. I currently have a half ton Silverado. I expect the suspension of the 2500 to have a more stiff ride than the 1500 but this is a case where my wife and I decided to go with the Diesel engine. The 2500 will have a few feet more turning radius than the 1500. Like many experienced folks on this thread have mentioned, it is definitely a matter of personal preference. Fortunately, we don't all like the same thing so we have choices and I can only speak for my wife and I and that is we discussed what we planned to do over the next ten years and what we would need to do that. When we bought the 1500 we didn't own a trailer but wanted a pickup truck and we spec'd it for max towing when ordered in 2004. Four TTs later and over 100,000 miles on it, we want to change. I would see the daily driver differences between a 1500/150 vs 2500/250 to be so minimal that personal preference and how you plan to use the truck would be a primary decision factor. Whatever you decide, just enjoy the heck out of it.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
I have driven 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton GMC, Ford, and Dodges in the last ten years. My daily driver is now a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. It rides well, parks OK (though I prefer to park away from the crowds and walk) and gets reasonable fuel economy. I find it to be a very good daily driver. Is it better than the 1/2 ton? Not better as a daily driver, but it sure is a better tow vehicle for my 27 Safari.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have driven my F150 90000 miles in the past 4 years. I cant speak to the larger truck but my Ford has been the single best vehicle I have ever owned. By a country mile! The ride is far and away better than the past couple of MINI Coopers I owned, the utility better than the last X5 I leased. In summation, I hope that I never have to go back to driving a car again.
The short comings are far outweighed by the advantages...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
Hmmm.i have always thought heavier components were to my advantage . Wheebase is a great advantage when pulling a trailer and a disadvantage when forced to make sharp turns in the city without the trailer. Ride I have not driven a short wheelbase 3/4 ton in a long time but my truck ( see signature ) rides very smooth. I just parked at the Fort Lauderdale Airport garage....and I cleared the 9' entrance. I am a little long for most parking spots......so I passed a few spots and found one that had plenty of room .It is what you are used to or your Knowledge..Skills and Ability

Graduate of 1968 SE Asia school of jungle warfare Duc Pho campus
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Imho......

....the overlooked component, it may not be what's being driven but
who's doing the driving.
I can't recall the last time I timed myself thru the cones while toeing.

Bob
Old 12-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Bob you are correct. After 50 years of driving I have discovered that the same people who will pass me going over the speed limit in great conditions will also do that in deplorable weather and pulling an AS. Does not matter what they are driving because they are a hazard on the road or going through pilons in a parking lot. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiver View Post
One of the most common comments on these threads is something to the effect of "I love my F250/2500 truck for towing but it makes a bad daily driver." But I haven't really seen someone lay out what exactly makes these trucks bad daily commute vehicles.
I have had 1/2 ton and "mini" pickups as daily drivers and have a 3/4 ton truck and a 3/4 ton suburban now that I mainly use for towing and as a secondary vehicle. Perhaps I can provide a balanced reply since I have a foot in both camps.

Quote:
Is it the length and/or wheel base? Because when I spec out a similar F150 and F250 crew cab with the 6.5' bed the total length and wheelbase look almost identical. Is there some factor that I am missing such as worse turning circle on the 3/4 ton trucks due to heavier suspension or something? Is there something about a 3/4 ton that makes them inherently clumsier for daily driving?

Is it the ride quality? I suppose for long commutes that could be an issue but my commute is too short to worry about comfort.

Is it the gas mileage?

I am just trying to get a clearer sense of what the tradeoffs are when one buys a heavier truck.
A 3/4 ton truck equipped for towing, compared to a 1/2 ton truck as typically equipped, will have more noise in the cab, lower ride quality, poorer handling, and worse gas mileage.

The noise is due to a combination of higher engine RPM at highway speed (because of different transmission and rear axle ratios), larger and noisier driveline components (transmission and rear axle), and more tire noise.

The ride quality difference is mainly due to higher unsprung weight on the rear axle. In some cases there may be a change from coil spring to leaf spring suspension, which would also contribute to a poorer ride. The handling differences are due to larger steering components which have inherently more play, and due to the heavier tires. The gas mileage difference is mainly due to the extra weight, and to a lesser extent due to the change in gearing and the added friction of the heavier duty driveline.

Long wheelbase trucks will tend to have a large turning circle and are also difficult to park in congested areas.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess it's all perspective-
In the rural south big trucks are the norm-
For at least 15 years I have been driving full size pickups or vans-
Before that, full size Buicks and Oldsmobiles when they were big- and full size vans-
If it's something you have been doing every day your whole 30 year driving life it doesn't seem too big to park- you make adjustments/make it happen-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #40
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I love my 1995 F250 7.3L PowerStroke. It is a 2WD, extended cab, 8' bed. It IS my daily driver, and yes, it drives like the described truck should. Comfy seats, though. It only has 98K miles on it! It gets 20MPG on the road empty, 18MPG for my combination in-town/highway driving, and 14MPG hauling my Avion.

I LOVE the smell of diesel!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote