Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: For those towing 25’ or larger;
Have you previously towed your current camper with any ¾ or 1 ton (Dodge, Ford, and GM) and moved to any ½ ton vehicle? 5 29.41%
Moving to a 1/2 ton truck from a 3/4 ton truck was a good move. 14 82.35%
Moving to a 1/2 ton truck from a 3/4 ton truck was the worst thing I did. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I guess I subscribe to the "too much truck is better than not enough" school of thought. I had an F-150 and got rid of it in favor of my '97 Chevy C3500 crew cab dually. The 1-ton will safely pull just about whatever you want to hitch up to it. The old Ford would pull whatever you wanted, but the suspension always felt as if it were pushing the limits of what it could handle, even with the proper WD hitch.
I've seen a couple of people mention newer half tons making better tow vehicles than older models. I believe that's not necessarily true depending on the truck. I spend a lot of time at work between an '07 Dodge 1500 4x4 and an '07 Chevy Siverado half-ton 4x4. The Dodge, I would consider hitching an AS up to. The Chevy, I wouldn't want to tow my lawnmower across town with it. I'm sure it would pull the AS, but that doesn't mean I would feel comfortable with it. I attempted to pull a small Bobcat skid-steer loader with it one time, and made it less than a mile before I went back and got the Dodge to pull it.
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #42
Full-timer

1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
My TV is a 1/2-ton... sorta. I use an '83 Jeep Full-size Wagoneer with 1-ton running gear and around 300 HP. Pulls like a bulldog, but brakes are not wonderful and handling with a 109" wheelbase demands attention.

I've been accused of running over 100 MPH while pulling a 7,500 LB box trailer -- never claimed to be smart but by gar, I can build a motor! My 27' Overlander tows so sweetlly that it's easy to forget that the thing is back there.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote