Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
What Do I need to tow a 1960 safari

Hi there Hope I don't sound to cluesless but I'am when it comes trailers,this is my first one. Ok so my dad gave a 1960 safari (how can I tell the length of it ?) the title says 22 under the wt-l-bhp section I have no clue wht that means. So my question really is, I have a Chevy S-10 that has a ball on the bumper I know thats not enough to tow it but I'm curious if this truck can haul this trailer ? I read some stuff on the hensley hitches they seem really big for my truck. Ok so the last thing is I have limited time on this becuase I have to tow this trailer from Orlando Fl. to San Diego Ca. on the 27th of December. Please any suggestions would help. thanks for your time.

Oh just one more thing I have attached a pic of the hitch so u get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What Do I need to tow a 1960 safari

Greetings Augier!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Your Blazer May be capable of towing the '60 Safari 22'. If your S-10 is equipped with the 4.2 Liter V6 and the optional heavy duty trailer towing package -- depending upon year and body style -- it would have carried a trailer tow rating in the neighborhood of 5,000 pounds. I suspect, however, that your truck probably doesn't have the heavy duty trailer towing package since you don't mention it having a receiver. Among several other things, the trailer towing package included 3.73 differential, auxiliary transmission cooler, receiver hitch, and required the 4.2 liter V6.

The empty weight of your Safari is likely just short of 3,000 pounds which would mean your likely loaded weight would be around 4,000 pounds. If you decided to tow your Sfari with the S-10, you will want to do the following at the minimum:
  • Install a quality Class III/IV receiver style hitch.
  • Acquire a quality weight distributing hitch -- my suggestion would be a Reese Straight Line with Dual Cam Sway Control -- 600 pound spring bars would likely be sufficient (500 pound may work better depending upon how heavily you load the coach and tow vehicle).
  • Acquire a quality trailer brake controller -- search here on the Forums for controller and you will find several threads discussing the various preferred trailer brake controllers.
  • Install a trailer towing wiring harness with Bargman/Polak trailer connector (be sure to match to one on trailer -- or purchase the matching trailer end when purchasing the truck end).
  • Acquire adequate auxiliary trailer towing mirrors -- I would suggest McKesh which are among the highest quality clamp-on towing mirrors (I use them on each of my tow vehicles).
  • Install an auxiliary transmission cooler if your truck doesn't presently have one.
  • Have your truck fully serviced prior to starting the long trip -- special point of concern would be the transmission -- if the truck has more than 50,000 miles having the transmission serviced would be a good insurance policy.
Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
augier, all good advice from overlander64. Take your time while towing, remember more important than towing is you want to be able to stop, quickly if needed. I live in San Diego, when you get it back here get in touch with me, i would like to see your AS.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
The S-10 can probably do it, but you will be at or near its upper limit.

I hauled a 1965 Safari from Georgia to Utah a year ago with a V8 Explorer
and to honest I was glad I had the extra towing capacity of the V8.

If you chose to do it, overlander64's suggestions are good, I would add:
Have the trailer bearings and trailer brakes (including all the brake wiring)
checked, since your S-10 isn't overkill you need to know the trailer brakes
are defiantly going to work.

I would plan the trip home so that you:
1) don't have to drive through any major cities during
morning or afternoon rush-hour.
2) I'd plan on only 55 to 60 mph.
3) I would avoid driving at night, unless you are real comfortable doing that.
There are two sides to this issue; there will be less traffic, but a higher
percentage of the traffic will be BIG TRUCKS going faster than you
(those guys will give you a wind blast that you will feel).
4) If you detect any engine pinging while pulling up hills up-grade to higher
octane gas. I would do this before you cross the sierra anyway.

There will always be those that will tell you to never do this or that.
I would say, know the limitations, respect them, plan appropriately,
and don't add any extra issues that can be avoided by careful planning.
Good luck.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You can read through this Tread. It is about what everyone is towing with and if they are happy or not....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-46809.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Augier,

Welcome to the forums!!! The '60 Safari trailer has some beautiful lines. Really looking forward to seeing some pics!!

I towed a '64 Safari with an inline 6cyl (4.0L 150hp) Toyota Land Cruiser with limited success. No major problems on the flats, but it REALLY struggled over any sort of hills/passes. What is the horsepower rating and vehicle weight of the S-10? As Overlander64 stated, the 4.3L may work. If it is the I4 engine, then you'll need to find another tow vehicle.

Once again, welcome to the forums!!!!!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags