Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
What about no license plate in back?

My ¾-ton truck is registered in Missouri as “beyond local 18,000 lbs,” which is way more than the allowed GCWR of 16,000. But the next lower category was 12,000 lbs, which I think I’d exceed with our ’07 Classic 31. We’ll see after I get on the scales the first time. Missouri only issues one license plate in the “beyond local 18,000 lbs” category, and it goes on the front bumper. Is this a problem when the smokies in other states see us go by without a license plate on the rear bumper?
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lake Winnebago , Missouri
When I first registered my truck i had beyond local 18,000lb plate in the front. I kept getting pulled over in Kansas and I got tired of having to explain that Missouri only issued one plate so I switched it back to the 12k plate. I have never had an issue when pulling my 84 31' excella. If you really want to you can go and purchase a second back plate from the DMV for the 18k plate. I have never had to get on a scale with my trailer any place that I have traveled.
dlennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]My ¾-ton truck is registered in Missouri as “beyond local 18,000 lbs,” which is way more than the allowed GCWR of 16,000...

i think u may be perusing the WRONG plate or did the original truck registration/tag incorrectly ...

the person working at mo/veh/reg doesn't care, they'll sell u WHATEVER (especially if it's a higher price)...

i spoke directly to the supervisors about this and under 12,000 is what all personal use 3/4 and 1 ton trucks get,

UNLESS it's a commerical/biz truck and has crap mounted like hoists or welding gear or cherry pickers...

IF u wanna confirm this Unofficially just look around at 3/4 or 1 ton trucks and suvs parked ALL over the neighborhood or in mall lots...

the truck plate is only for the designation of the truck, not what it might tow...

so this doesn't include what is to be towed RECREATIONALLY as i understand it.

if the 3/4 ton is rated to 8,000 or 10,000 lbs (spring rate/gvwr) then under 12,000 is the correct tag...

in fact none of the 1 tons sold are over the 12,000 lb rating...

don't use the "gcwr" for the tag category, that's not how it works in mizzu as i understand it...
_________

the other issue is insurance...

IF you have mistakenly registered a personal vehicle in this HIGHER category, it can affect your insurance class/category and pricing...
_________

we have seperate tags for the trailers and for utility trailers over a given size...

so they are already billing us for mass/size of the trailer SEPARATELY from the truck...
_________

i think u need to start over get the lesser rated tag/registration.

i almost made the same mistake 5 years ago and it's a pia to UNdo...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
MN state police will pull out behind you from a highway speed trap if you don't have a front plate to see if you have a rear out-of-state plate. My sister (Indiana) has had that happen several times when she comes to visit. They get close enough to you to read the plate, and probably run it as well, but she has never been pulled over.

I would think no rear plate on a pickup is asking to be pulled over in many state that do not know Missouri's laws. If you can get a second plate for the rear, I would do it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm with 2air on this one. I think you have entirely the wrong plate. The trailer should have its own plate, and weight. The truck's license/plate should only apply to the truck itself and its payload, not what it is towing. Unlike a commercial truck like an 18 wheeler.

Look at it this way, if a ¾-ton truck has a payload of 1,500 pounds and you are licensing it for 18,000, you are in effect saying that your truck weighs 16,600 pounds empty. Either that or you're really exceeding the rated payload for your ¾-ton truck. 18,000 lbs is seriously getting into commercial territory.

Like 2air said, you are probably overpaying by a large amount.

I could be wrong, thing may be that different in our northern neighbor, but that's the way it is in Arkansas. Except that, according to my local office, there is only one tag (permanent) for trailers. My Excella has the same tag as a little utility trailer, and it lasts forever.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you all for the quick response. I had a very young clerk at the license bureau and she scared me into the 18K license. I'll go back and try to get it right. Best wishes, John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
_

. , .
good idea.

really the trailer is irrelevant in registering the truck in ks/mo.

don't even mention the trailer.

think again about some of the possibilities,

IF you sold the 'stream tomorrow or purchased a pop up or a 5th wheel or a box trailer ...

would the truck require a NEW tag classification?

had an uncertain clerk helping me and when things got weird i just asked to speak to a mgr/super and it was all sorted out.

have fun with the 'stream!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I gotta agree with 2Air. Here in Tennessee the commercial trucks all have the plates on the front. Everything from big rigs to a painter's pick up. Personal owned pick ups, vans, & SUV's all have them monted on the rear.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I'm not giving advise or contradicting anyone who has, just relating my own experience. I have used the single plate in front since purchasing my pickup in 2002. I have traveled thru many states and several 000's of miles and have never been stopped. I did have a friend stopped in Pa. a couple years ago regarding the single plate by Hwy. Patrol, but they soon just sent him on his way without problems.