Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Gasselternijveen , drenthe
Send a message via AIM to AxelBruijnis
weird quadrasteer rear axle sounds ?

Dear QuadraSteer owners.

I have owned my 2004 Chevy Suburban 4wd QuadraSteer for about a year now, and it always seems to make strange sounds when the rear wheel steering is working..

I understand that every electro-mechanical steering will make some noise, but this sounds like moaning , even during a turn ( without moving the steering wheel )

I don;t really hear it inside the car, unless i open a window, but its loud enough to make others wonder if the car will disintegrate making a turn.

When i put the car in neutral / park the sound stops ( and the 4 wheel steering light starts blinking in neutral)

Is this normal behaviour / sound ?
I am one of the few Q-Steer owners in Europe, so i can't really compare it with anyone here, and the local GM dealers won;t know either..

Please let me know whats normal, or do i need to worry ?
The vehicle is wonderfull to drive in any other way.

thank you !

Axel

(if anyone already posted this same question, i am sorry, i did look, but didn't find a similar question.)
AxelBruijnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Axel, try replacing the rear differential fluid with fresh synthetic differential fluid for limited slip differentials.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have two Suburban Quadrasteers. We have an '05 Yukon XL with 80,000 miles on her. We also have an '04 Chevrolet with 50,000 miles on her. We have had them since '06 and '08 respectively, and have towed with both of them extensively.

We have had the rear differentials serviced every 15,000 miles as recommended. We always use a GM dealer to insure the use of the correct synthetic lubricant. Quadrasteers are so rare that most auto repair shops have never heard of one, much less seen one.

I have never experienced the moaning that you describe. I have noticed some clunking when backing the '05. I have also noticed noises coming from the rear tires in black top parking lots when the tires are somewhat worn.

I would suggest servicing the Quadrasteer and see if there is any difference.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
is the rear differential fluid linked to any steering part ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Axel, try replacing the rear differential fluid with fresh synthetic differential fluid for limited slip differentials.
hey Terry,

Thank you for your answer !
But as far as i can see when crawling below the vehicle, the differential is only used as a mounting point for the steering. the fluids won;t affect the steering , only the differential , as far as i can see.

Nevertheless i will change it.. just to be safe .

Axel
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Hi axel
Gues I need to come over soon and take a look @ it.
Is the sound also there when you turn the 4 wheel steer of.
Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcolent View Post
Hi axel
Gues I need to come over soon and take a look @ it.
Is the sound also there when you turn the 4 wheel steer of.
Remco
A grind, moan, pop, or shudder when turning can be the clutches inside the differential. It should be changed at 15,000 mile intervals, or, if I remember my kilometers, about 33,000km. Axel says the noise stops when he takes the truck out of gear, which makes me think of the differential fluid. If it has not been done, it should be done anyway, and if it stops making the noise, it was a cheap fix. I like cheap fixes.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The factory field service manual is bound to have some ways of determining proper action, alignment, and service intervals. I'd change not only the differential fluid but look to see if there are other grease points, bearings, etc, that warrant inspection and service.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Richland Hills , Texas
I have an '04 Yukon w/ Quadrasteer. It's the fluid. I had the same problem. It sounds like a brake dragging or something rubbing. There is a special fluid for Quadrasteer axles b/c they use a dana 60 center section w/ fiber clutch disc. They are not the same as the 14 bolt or later 2500 series axles. The fluid is so rare most parts guys will argue there is such a thing. You need to change it every 30k miles according to the book. Reg GM HD axles are 90k miles IIRC.
The special fluid ($30/ quart!...takes 3!) is just reg synthetic fluid w/ the limited slip additive already in it (much cheaper to do it this way). I had my fluid changed and dumped two bottles of the GM stuff in there.
It will not go away right away. The stuff has to work into the clutch disc. It went away a couple of days later.
TexasSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
thank you all for your responses !

i have been in the USA last week,
and texassafari was right , no-one in parts stores knew what i was talking about , even with the GM part number for the differential fluid in hand.
I will keep looking for it, but i am sure noone here will have it, since i doubt there are more then one or two QS vehicles in Europe

rednax : i have been under the vehicle to look for grease points.. i couldn;t find any , not even with help from a car mechanic.

overlander63 :
i like cheap fixes as well

Remco :
The sound dissapeared for a few days.. it was back yesterday , afer not driving the sub for a week or so. didn;t have time to turn the steering off to hear for differences.

Axel
Old 06-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Richland Hills , Texas
It's a dealer only part. So you'll have to go to the dealer. PN is 12378557. Like I said above, It's fine to use synthetic fluid and just add 2 bottles of the GM limited slip additive. It's a lot cheaper. The axle center section is nothing new. It's just not the norm under a Light Duty Truck of the same year. QS vehicles have limited slips where all the other GM Light Trucks (if optioned w/ it) have locking diff and have no clutch pack.
TexasSafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quadrasteer, rear axle, sound, suburban