Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Weight Distribution Bars & Trailer Weighing

I'm getting ready to weigh my tow vehicle and 2016 Classic at the local CAT scales. 1st time; no prior experience. Been reading about weighing on this site and others. Came across a statement that said you should take several weighings: 1) one with your weight distributing hitch hooked up; and b) one without.

As the proud owner of a ProPride hitch, I'm not certain how to do this. Maybe I could achieve the same effect by taking one weighing with the ProPride's weight distribution bars engaged / tightened and another weighing with the weight distribution bars relaxed.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Let me see if I can do this from memory (odds aren't good &#128512.

You want 3 weights - do them in whatever order makes the most sense to you - for me, I started with C (below), then B then A. And be in the vehicle every time. I screwed that up and Ron G was able to (accurately) guess my weight after I posted the tickets 😀

(A) is for just your tow vehicle. You'll get a steer (front) and drive (rear) axle weight.

(B) is with the trailer attached but NO weight distribution. With my ProPride, I approximated that by loosening the WD jacks until the bars swung freely (sort of like when you unhitch). What you see here is how much weight you're lifting off the steer axle of your tow vehicle and how much weight you're pushing down on the drive axle just by connecting the trailer.

(C) is with the trailer connected and WD applied. My suggestion for this one is that you start with the jacks at 6". By that, I mean measure from the top of the a-frame to the bottom of the sleeve that rises when you apply WD. Here you're looking to see how much weight you've removed from the drive axle and restored to the steer axle and trailer axles. If your steer axle needs more, raise the WD jacks another half to full inch and test again. If you need less, lower them and test again. Most recommend 100% restoration (i.e., if you lift 500# off the steer axle, you want to push 500# back to it). Your owners manual will tell you what to do. In some cases, 50% is all you need (or in this example, 250#). Mine wants 50% but I find a better ride at 90-100% restoration.

Do those 3 measures, post your tickets here and you'll get lots of advice on what it means and what adjustments might be needed. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TV with all passengers, gear and full fuel.

TT with full fresh water and propane plus gear and equipment as packed for trip.

Otherwise, use sandbags to replicate.

First pass is with WDH tensioned.

Second is same, but all tension removed from WDH.

Drop trailer and weigh TV separately for third pass.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote