Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #241
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy@bocinc View Post
Thanks, Sarge for the feedback. I failed to mention we also need to use the truck for snow-plowing in winter. An F-150 doesn't have the front end strength for a big plow like we use. We are going with the F-250 for this reason, and have learned the 2010 5.4L V-8 will have 315HP which seems adequate for our 23' Airstream (which we are about to order too.) ANyway, what do you mean by it may "beat the camper to death"? This is something I've not heard of.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
There are several in here that have more experience with that issue because they have been through it. There are also several articles and posts on this subject in here.
I personally have not because I have never owned a small trailer.
On smaller trailers the ridged suspension on 3/4 ton & larger trucks have a tendancy to cause problems with the trailer as far as body & interior.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Weight Distribution Hitch Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy@bocinc View Post
Thanks, Sarge for the feedback. I failed to mention we also need to use the truck for snow-plowing in winter. An F-150 doesn't have the front end strength for a big plow like we use. We are going with the F-250 for this reason, and have learned the 2010 5.4L V-8 will have 315HP which seems adequate for our 23' Airstream (which we are about to order too.) ANyway, what do you mean by it may "beat the camper to death"? This is something I've not heard of.
The beating is caused by a weight distribution (WD) hitch with too heavy, an inflexible setting.
When the WD hitch is set up properly, if required, the trailer weight and tow vehicles suspensions are joined. The trailer and tow vehicle share suspensions in a sense. If the link is too strong, the tow vehicle is too heavily suspended and the trailer weight is too light, a mismatch occurs. Trailer damage can occur. There are adjustments and options to prevent a problem. Just get it done right in the first place.
Go diesel!
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #243
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Indiana
We have a 2001 Dodge Cummins. With a 29' AS, we average 16mpg, unless we're in the mountains. Sometimes, if its really flat, like in Florida, we do better than the 16.
wc3780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #244
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Mr.Timemachine prepare for a flame,a gentle flame as one would expect from a candle in the wind.Well maybe not that gentle,but diesel or gas is of no consequence because both produce pollution.Seeing that your choice of gas makes you happy is fine,and your truck is killer.With the environmental issue put on the back burner sorta ta speak,the issue left in my mind is cost.I take the position of a scavenger if you will.I am one who will buy what others would label junk.I drive burbs,old,partially primered burbs picked up at embarressingly low prices.The mpg of both burbs hover around 10-12.Since I care not about making a fashion statement,at least not one our culture might embrace, the savings stay where I think they belong,with me.My point is this,they are heaps.Fortune smiles on me,for it is a heap of savings.I suspect my post will be considered off on a tangent and await a response of a freindlyish nature.Keep in mind I wrote this at 3am. Good nite.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
No Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
Mr.Timemachine prepare for a flame,a gentle flame as one would expect from a candle in the wind.Well maybe not that gentle,but diesel or gas is of no consequence because both produce pollution.Seeing that your choice of gas makes you happy is fine,and your truck is killer.With the environmental issue put on the back burner sorta ta speak,the issue left in my mind is cost.I take the position of a scavenger if you will.I am one who will buy what others would label junk.I drive burbs,old,partially primered burbs picked up at embarressingly low prices.The mpg of both burbs hover around 10-12.Since I care not about making a fashion statement,at least not one our culture might embrace, the savings stay where I think they belong,with me.My point is this,they are heaps.Fortune smiles on me,for it is a heap of savings.I suspect my post will be considered off on a tangent and await a response of a freindlyish nature.Keep in mind I wrote this at 3am. Good nite.
RichieRich, I feel no heat from your candle, in fact your points on pollution and cost are well taken and in part agreed issues that really make the topic of this thread short sighted. Towing in most cases will result in low MPG numbers, relative to solo engagement of our vehicles. Many MPG winners are precluded form towing our Airstreams, even the best MPG, gas or diesel, while towing is typically dismal, part of the price we pay to enjoy the lifestyle. I am guessing your point is that a good older heap saves a significant amount of money over a new or newer tow vehicle, so much that the MPG penalty is minimized. Hard to argue, I agree.

As for pollution, the latest automotive technology has greatly reduced emissions, so much that diesels are now cleaner than gas vehicles made just a few years ago, and some gas engines today are amazingly clean. Vehicles in the U.S. are no longer the leading pollution generators.

As a partial vindication for driving a Dodge Power Wagon, our primary vehicle is a Prius, so when we average the MPG over miles driven, we end up with nearly a 40 MPG average, that will give you a clue which vehicle get the most use. My goal is to get our average MPG way down.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #246
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not a heap!

Hi, richie rich. I think what you are saying from my perspective is; My Lincoln is not a heap, but I bought it slightly used. My Lincoln was three years old and only had 16,800 miles on it, with a savings of over twenty thousand dollars over new. That savings will compensate for a lot of fuel.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #247
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Mr.Robertsunrus ,your grasp of my cost issue is perspicacious.Love Lincolns.What's not to like?The diesel/gas topic is a good one too.As Mr. Timemachine has stated engines of both fuel consumers have improved,and run cleaner and this is great.Since cost is seen as a valid variable,may I tell all viewing a pertinent story? Purchased for 500 dollars,I drove my 1972 Dodge 1/2 ton 14 years.I sold it for 400 dollars.Because figures don't lie,the calculator reveals the truth.The Dodge cost $ 7.14 per year to operate.I always suspected the cost of the truck kept operating figures down but I just had to laugh when I saw the $7.14 total.True,fuel prices and mpg were factors but mostly I was just having a good time driving an old truck with no a/c no power anything and only a small circulating fan with the windows open.I don,t expect everyone to run out and find an old Dodge and drive it for 14 years.Chances are most people have better sense in our society.What might be a doable ploy is when making your vehicle purchase beat the bushes and battle tooth and nail for the best deal.The $7.14 may come in handy some day.Once again it is 3am and I'm wondering why I'm still up.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #248
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Is anyone towing with a Nissan Armada?
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #249
Kay
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Simpsonville , Kentucky
You wrote: the rivited aluminum panels and the glued and screwed interior panels do not like a heavy duty suspensioned truck.
Please explain to me what happens to the interior of your Airstream and exactly what causes it. Someone later in this thread mentioned heavy loading of the truck bed keeps this from happening . . . but that statement only confused me more.

Thanks,
Kay
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #250
Kay
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Simpsonville , Kentucky
Please explain to me what damage the truck can cause to the Airstream and how having the bed heavily loaded prevents it?

Thanks,
Kay
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Maybe a little over simplified but too much bouncing created by the trucks stiff suspension shakes the trailer apart. A load in the bed reduces the bouncing.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
It is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
You wrote: the rivited aluminum panels and the glued and screwed interior panels do not like a heavy duty suspensioned truck.
Please explain to me what happens to the interior of your Airstream and exactly what causes it. Someone later in this thread mentioned heavy loading of the truck bed keeps this from happening . . . but that statement only confused me more.

Thanks,
Kay
Hi Kay,

The question is a little off topic, but sense it was mentioned originally, the best answer for your question would come form Andy of Inland RV, a regular poster here on the forum. Try the search function and you will find mutiple threads on the subject. Andy believes that most folks "over hitch" their AS which includes a heavier truck than necessary to pull a typical AS. He has documented the problems caused under these types of conditions.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #253
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Everytime I see this sort of thing it really makes me laugh, there are 3 kinds of dodge owners and sometimes it is really hard to figure out which catagory one falls into, but either way no matter which one it is, what ever gave you the idea that a dodge diesel lasts a 100,000 miles more than any other is nothing pure short of a tall story, a false hood, a dream. The only time I have ever heard of a dodge, GMC, Chev, Ford diesel engine not making 350-400,000 miles is always because they was not taken care of properly. Having spent 22 years in the transportation industry with real Hot Shot drivers who put 100-150,000 miles a year cross country on Dodge 1 tons, Chev & GMC 3500's, Ford F350, 450, 550's, even all the farmers/horse/cattle owners that I know all put around 400,000 on their vehicles before they start having problems. So your statement well like I said it makes me laugh, thanks for the chuckle.

I'm not sure who you are talking about since I didn't say any of those things.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #254
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Everytime I see this sort of thing it really makes me laugh, there are 3 kinds of dodge owners and sometimes it is really hard to figure out which catagory one falls into, but either way no matter which one it is, what ever gave you the idea that a dodge diesel lasts a 100,000 miles more than any other is nothing pure short of a tall story, a false hood, a dream.
Anecdotes over industry figures?

The Cummins Turbo Diesel has the highest durability in this class of pickups, with an average life-to-overhaul of 350,000 miles - more than 100,000 miles higher than any competitive engine.

Cummins Every Time - In The News - U.S. Press Releases - Press Release

Similar quotes about MTBO (mean time between overhaul) can be found in other Cummins literature. If it were wrong, GM and Ford would be howling.

It isn't just maintenance practice, some designs are simply better than others.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote