Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Try the one sway bar. If you can feel the 18-wheelers and bread trucks passing you on the Interstate, invest in another $50 sway bar for the other side of the hitch. Most manufacturers recommend a second sway bar for trailers at about 25 feet and longer. That second bar will eliminate any momentary shimmy when the big rigs go flying by, that is, if you can feel any push-pull with just the one bar.
I agree,, over the past three years we have had this truck I have made at least two runs a year of 200 miles or so,, all in state w half on the interstate,, but, I was running about 4" high at the ball and figured that helped make it as stable as it has always been..
I think you are right on track,, we gonna pull out and run a couple hundred miles and see what happens,, by the time we hit OKC I'll quit thinkin about it or buy another sway bar set up,,

Again. Thanks to all,,
stkwhittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkwhittler View Post
They must have provided considerable drop w the application of your receiver. This truck is set up higher than most I've seen.. Not sure how or why,, there is no apparent lift kit.. Bought it w 2500 miles, it is the first desiel rig I have purchased, I might say I am impressed ,, we travel mostly here in the Ozarks and have to be careful to not forget the AS is back there,, thanks for the input,,
My receiver comes directly straight out under the bumper. The newer trucks are higher than the 06 vintage, even the one tons. Mine is not four wheel drive. I would post a picture if I could. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Hope you figure it out. Mine sits even higher than yours and took a couple of tries to get it all sorted out and dialed in. The scales help.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hey Bold, Just saying hi, how are you guys. Missing your posts.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yea, where you been? You're posts are always based on experience, we need that.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Something missing from this conversation is the height of the front of the truck.

If hitching your trailer up without WD raises the front bumper of your truck ½”, you have compromised steering and braking.

We all know that WD is supposed to keep the tail of your truck up, but of equal importance is keeping the nose down.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Raising the front if the three quarter or on ton truck as much as two inches has little effect in my experience as long as you have the heavy Diesel engine. Seat of the pants experience. Others will disagree but most don't have diesel HD trucks. As long as the rear doesn't drop too much when hitched, two inches or so.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Seat of the pants experience.
Very glad to hear you have been lucky so far.

Seatbelts have saved my life only once, and that was back in 1988, but I still wear my seatbelt every time I drive.

Likewise, that lift in the front of your truck will likely only become a life and death matter in an emergency situation. As long as you never have an emergency your “seat of the pants” experience will serve you well.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Have you ever towed with a one ton Cummins? Or just read about it? I've never towed with a sequoia so my opinion of that I'll keep to myself.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Wow!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Raising the front if the three quarter or on ton truck as much as two inches has little effect in my experience as long as you have the heavy Diesel engine. Seat of the pants experience. Others will disagree but most don't have diesel HD trucks. As long as the rear doesn't drop too much when hitched, two inches or so.
If you hitch up and the forward end of the truck lifts as much as 2 in. you have hitch up backwards. The heavy diesel engine in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is supposed to be in the front going down the road.

At least that is my experience towing with a 3/4 ton Suburban with 1 ton suspension and a 6.5 diesel and a 8,000lbs + Excursion with a 6.0 diesel with a modified front and rear suspension.

The difference being the Suburban had an A frame front suspension and thus an over lift of the front would greatly effect the steering geometry, as far as tire ware, due to a change in the camber angle, and steering in general as far as control. Over lift on the Excursion would only effect steering control since it has a beam and leaf spring front suspension. In both cases you would want the lift reduced to as close as possible to the original height for steering control.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That hasn't been my experience. Two inches or less in the front is not a problem in a one ton, two inches or less drop in the rear also is not a problem. My setup is probably safer and easier to drive than most WD setups on the road. We all think differently.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My truck still is not level with a two inch rise in the front and two inch drop in the rear. Your sub is probably level just sitting there, my truck is high in the rear, designed to have a load on it to operate properly. I have about a one inch rise up front, the handling with a 30 footer on the back on the ball is better than it is empty. Sorry you guys don't agree, but actually owning one of these setups is different than reading about it. Good camping.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
And you are correct,,

We just returned from a 2800 mile jaunt in the rockys and all went extremely well,, without the WD function there was never a wiggle,, and most of the time no use of the sway bar,,

I have pulled a lot of loads, more work related than leisure, the 2500 HD Dodge is by far the best tow rig ever experienced for this 25' Excella. I rushed much more than intended and regardless of sped or conditions there was always a since of total control,, so little effect from simi trucks or cross winds it was unbelievable.

My only concern and it is very slight, the rear tires would increase pressure 3 lbs more than the front,, About 9lb at front and 12lb in the rear,, both starting at 70lb.. Only two lb over the max cold inflate of 80lb..

I may try a little higher cold inflate and see how that works,,

This truck is a little overkill for the 25' tt but it sure makes the haulin as smooth as possible,, and we took it to Clear Mtn Lake as well.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
My truck still is not level with a two inch rise in the front and two inch drop in the rear. Your sub is probably level just sitting there, my truck is high in the rear, designed to have a load on it to operate properly. I have about a one inch rise up front, the handling with a 30 footer on the back on the ball is better than it is empty. Sorry you guys don't agree, but actually owning one of these setups is different than reading about it. Good camping.
I had a front rise o 3/4" and a rear bumper drop of1 3/4". Made the truck ride better and the trailer was hard to remember,,

As you said, if you haven't pulled w one of these trucks you just don't know,,

It was no problem to maintain 70 mph climbing every pass we cam to and the tow haul and engine brake never called for heavy breaking,, it will be a long time before I pull w another half ton,, only if we trade to a smaller trailer.