Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #41
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
I'd love to figure out how I could do with my new 28 CCD... I's rather not drive such a beastly creature as a F250.
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I feel with my 25 footer that I'm "good to go" with the Pro Pride Hitch installed after driving cross country, through mountains, deserts, open plains and some pretty stiff cross winds...

That being said - I don't know if I would want to be much longer - again its not the tongue weight or weight of the trailer (as the 25, 27\28 are pretty close) but its the wheel base of the T-Rex which is not as long as it is on a standard Truck.

I would never replace my T-Rex for ANY 150/1500 truck out there (especially since my Diesel gets more torque then their best engines) but if I were to change out my tow vehicles I would go up to a 250/2500 with diesel - but that would be over kill for my current trailer - but for my next\final trailer I most likely will go a bit longer and this is the route for me....

OK - so if I were you - I would go with a 250/2500 for your 28 footer...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Now I'm jealous

JSCheck

Glad to see that your set up worked. I've just seen your pictures here and on the Treg forum. It sure does look nice and now I am sure of what to get also. I have been busy over my head lately with the move from Canada and starting the new responsabilities. We ended up buying a house, so I can't afford both right now, but I will definitely get the Treg soon knowing it can pull the trailer I want to get in 2 or 3 years. My new debate is either to get the heavier 2010 or the more fuel efficient 2011... Currently shopping for deals on a 2010 TDI.

Enjoy your Airstream, I am truly jealous!

Simon
geosimsimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #44
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
JFScheck! Do you have the air suspension on the T-Rex? How is that working with the PP? I just picked up my 2010 T-Rex on Friday... The financing deal was too good to pass up. I'll be heading up to the folks at CanAm RV in Toronto to do the final set up.

Cheers,

Javier
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #45
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by geosimsimma View Post
JSCheck

Glad to see that your set up worked. I've just seen your pictures here and on the Treg forum. It sure does look nice and now I am sure of what to get also. I have been busy over my head lately with the move from Canada and starting the new responsabilities. We ended up buying a house, so I can't afford both right now, but I will definitely get the Treg soon knowing it can pull the trailer I want to get in 2 or 3 years. My new debate is either to get the heavier 2010 or the more fuel efficient 2011... Currently shopping for deals on a 2010 TDI.

Enjoy your Airstream, I am truly jealous!

Simon
I would go with the heavier rig for towing comfort.

$ .02

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream View Post
JFScheck! Do you have the air suspension on the T-Rex? How is that working with the PP? I just picked up my 2010 T-Rex on Friday... The financing deal was too good to pass up. I'll be heading up to the folks at CanAm RV in Toronto to do the final set up.

Cheers,

Javier
We coulda just re-tuned that 440. Duals, Thermoquad, headers, a cam swap, MSD, and 3.31 gears. No louder than stock, relatively. Better mileage as well. Gettin' fancy, an OD transmission, Koni shocks, torsion bars from the 1969 Tow Package and all the 1970's HD Police Pursuit pieces from Ma Mopar. Much more fun than a Hun-mobile. (Too bad it's a convertible, the '67-'68 is a classic TV).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I had air-suspension on my Cayenne S - I purposely wanted "No Air" on the T-Rex because I knew I was going to be using a load displacing hitch (Pro Pride) and the Steel is better than Air when displacing large tongue loads on the VW\Porsche SUV's - with Air you need to disable it any-hoots when towing with a load displacing hitch - and I always tow with one so.....

As for driving around when not towing - I love the feel of the steel over the air - but that's my opinion although I do often drive my 997 S and 997 Turbo (both Carrera 911's - and my wife's Boxster as well as an Audi S4 & S6) so you see what I'm used to feeling when I drive...

If Porsche had a Diesel - I would have purchased another one but still have went with the no "Air" options but it is nice if your crossing streams or for low level load mode...

Tows like a dream - getting ready to come back across the country in a month from San Diego to the East Coast via the Rockies once again...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
I'm strongly considering a 2008 Touareg V6 (3.6L - a little larger than the older 3.2's) and a 25'FB late model international combination. Reading through the above posts it seems like this setup might work, though I realize the 25' is being towed by a TDI. Is there a big difference in towing between the 3.6 and the TDI?

For reference I will be towing through the mountains of Colorado often. Any advice is appreciated. Should I consider a V8 instead of the V6? I won't purchase new, but perhaps if absolutely necessary I could get a 1 year old TDI if thats the best way to go, but would really prefer to save the $ and buy a '08 v6.

Thanks.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
Touareg 2 TDI

I have owned 3 Touaregs. The smaller 6 (3.2) The 3.6 v6 and a 2010 TDI. I have trailered a 6800lb boat and dual axel trailer with all of them but only the Airstream 25FB with the TDI. The Airstream trailers better than the boat even thogh it is heavier. There was some improvement in going to the 3.6 but there is no comparison with what you get with the TDI. The TDI is vastly superior. There is more torque with the TDI than even the V8 (420lbs)and the fuel economy is much better whether towing or not. With the TDI I can go up hills at the speed limit that before I struggled to get up towing the boat. The TDI will pull you away from traffic signals with ease. I previously posted our experience towing the Airstream down the Oregon coast and the mountains of Northern California.

My advice for what you are towing and where you are towing--get the TDI.
johnroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Sorry guys - just got back from towing the "Silver Twinkie" from San Diego back once again across county to it's Washington D.C. house via the Rockies so we could have a nice five day stay in our lovely "Steamboat Springs". After being home for two days we headed to Penn State for parents weekend and just got back home a few hours ago....

So - would I tow my 25FB Classic with a "T-Rex" or "Pepper" V6 gas engine? No - not enough torque for the Rockies or even the Appalachian's heading from Maryland to Penn State. Now the TDI at 407 lbs is a beast with Great gas milage - LOVE the look of those F150's & 1500's looking at me driving up the mountains and them wishing they too had a diesel....

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And as you can see - last week when we drove through the Rockies the Aspens were just starting to explode!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10SteamBoatCrossCountryTRexMtns.jpg
Views:	6496
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	112458  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for the great feedback, and I love the pic! Nice to see what my eventual rig will look like.

So I'm getting that the TDI has a lot more torque than either of the older v6's. So what about a comparison to the V8? I just think the TDI is out of my budget, so though the TDI sounds like it would probably be the #1 choice, how do you think the v8 would do as a #2 option?
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The TDI has more torque than the V8 (and I owned a Porsche Cayenne S with a V8) BUT that being said - the V8 powered T-Rex's and Peppers would be great tow vehicles - my Cayenne S was - but the gas mileage I get with the TDI really is short of amazing....

Who know's - you may still find a TDI at a good price - other wise LOTS of V8's out there just waiting for ya!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
I just came back from a trip to Colorado and Wyoming towing with my 2006 Touareg V10 Diesel. I'm towing a 21 foot 1993 Sovereign. I had no trouble with the grades anywhere, it towed like a dream. I highly recommend it if you can find one. The torque is outstanding (555 ft-lbs).
earlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
That V-10 is a beast but a little too thirsty for my needs - rumor has it the new V8 TDI will come over to the US - more power than the old V10 oil burner but better milage and cleaner as the current V6 TDI (same technology)...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
We got 17 mpg on the trip at 60 mph.
earlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Towing Flying Cloud 25fb with Touareg TDI

I too would like to tow a Flying Cloud 25FB with a 2011 Touareg TDI but am concerned about the 837 versus 770 hitch weight overage. If I'm using a Hensley or PP hitch and arrange items in the trailer to increase the weight (not too much) behind the trailers rear wheels, can I decrease the trailer tongue weight below the Touareg's max. My other choice would be to go with the Flying Cloud 27FB which has a 791 tongue weight, but I had to add two extra feet in length, not to mention the extra cost. Any suggestions?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
VW Touareg 2 towing capacity

Greeting wlanford!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
I too would like to tow a Flying Cloud 25FB with a 2011 Touareg TDI but am concerned about the 837 versus 770 hitch weight overage. If I'm using a Hensley or PP hitch and arrange items in the trailer to increase the weight (not too much) behind the trailers rear wheels, can I decrease the trailer tongue weight below the Touareg's max. My other choice would be to go with the Flying Cloud 27FB which has a 791 tongue weight, but I had to add two extra feet in length, not to mention the extra cost. Any suggestions?
You may want to get some clarifiction. When Airstream lists hitch weights, they are usually going to be 100 pounds or more below the actual hitch weight when the coach is ready to tow as when a coach is properly loaded, at least 10% to 15% of weight of posessions carried in the coach will be added to the hitch weight. To maintain stability, the usual recommendation is to never allow the hitch weight to fall below 10% of the loaded coach weight -- and my personal preference is to keep as close to 15% hitch loading as possible.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Peeps keep inquiring about the swap from my "T-Rex" to a "F-350" as tow rig for my 25FB Airstream Classic - perhaps this text from a post I just made to a similar question will help...

Yes – I will always rave about the capability of the Touareg TDI coupled with the mighty P3 hitch and how well it has pulled my 25FB Airstream Classic all over the country - be it over mountains, desserts or the great plains....

If you look at my posts - especially where we discussed in great detail the challenges to such a setup - I acknowledged that although my Touareg had 407lbs torque, great brakes, and with the P3 hitch ROCK SOLID towing of my Airstream despite its short wheelbase - I still needed to be extremely cognizant of my weights, ESPECIALLY MY TOUNGE WEIGHT!

When I towed my 25FB Classic - it was with no more than two people in the Touareg and only 20lbs equipment in the back seat. Absolutely nothing was in the "rear storage area" of the Touareg. As for my Airstream - my front propane tanks were kept at 1/2 or below of capacity, the storage space under the front bed was kept fairly empty (15lbs of equipment) and nothing was stored in the front bedroom drawers. I also understood that I would never be able to tow with fresh water in the tanks (my Classic can accept 54 gallons) and in fact needed to make sure my black water and grey water tanks were always emptied before heading out on the road. My food, drinks & cutlery was weighed at 75 lbs (kept in the fridge and pantry) and only another 25 lbs of “stuff” around ‘n about. Any extra weight (clothes, boots, etc.) was kept aft in bags under the dinner table acounting for another 40lbs.

The 25FB Classic tongue weight as per Airstream is 780lbs - that is with no propane in the tanks, water in the hot water heater, and with only the standard "single" front window, let alone anything else in the Twinkie.

My 25FB has many options to include a few that directly affect the tongue weight - two front side windows, extra capacity 80lb propane tanks, etc. Once I loaded her up to go out and started visiting my local weigh stations, compared tongue weights, vehicle GVWR of the Touareg, etc. I realized I was far below the load capacity of my Airstream Classic and knocking right on the door of the Touareg's limits. For the record - I feel I could not have safely towed without the P3 hitch as that was the magic "puzzle piece" that made the whole package work as one.

The more I used my Airstream, the more I found I wanted to use its full capacity and invest in a larger TV. I just purchased a generator as now I can take with me more equipment and toys on the road, do some “off-grid” Airstreaming utilizing my fresh water capacity, full propane capacity, and for the first time I can store my clothes in the closets, use the under bed storage area, etc.

Long story short – was no longer willing to limit my enjoyment of my Airstream to the limitations of my tow vehicle….

Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
VW towing capacity

I am not an expert but I'll share my experience. I have logged a fair number of miles pulling a 2010 25 FB Flying Cloud with a 2010 TDI. Trips along the West coast and to the Gulf coast from the midwest. It pulls very nicely. After reviewing lots of comments and talking to others, I decided to try the equalizer hitch rather than the pp because of the weight of the hitch. So far in all kinds of conditions including high cross winds, rain, snow, ice, winding mountain roads and interstate roads with tractor trailers, I have not observed any trailer sway or inability to maintain highway speeds. I have not towed in the mountains at high Colorado altitudes.

I do try to minimize the weight of the trailer and tongue weight by traveling with empty tanks etc. Never had more than 1 passenger in the TDI.

The braking with the Tekonsha P3 controller is fine.

As you probably know, the 2011 TDI is a different vehicle from the 2010 TDI. Different transmission and the 2011 weighs about 500lbs less. Perhaps 2011 may be better, but I don't know. It has a little more pep in non towing driving based on a limited test drive but braking and handling with a trailer attached may be different.
johnroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing capacity, touareg