Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Question Toureg and Porsche Cayenne share the same chassis

I don`t mean to high-jack this thread, but since the Porsche Cayenne shares the same chassis I need some information on towing capacity and tongue weight. My wife would prefer to full-time in an Airstream Classic 30 or 34 S/O. I`m trying to figure out if a Cayenne is going to be able to tow this size trailer. I found a Porsche Cayenne Class 3 hitch rated at an unbelievable GTW of 6000 lbs. on the Internet. This has to be an error. Is it possible to have that high a tongue weight?

According to the Airstream web-page, The 30` S/O has a hitch weight of 1050, UBW of 7940 and GVWR of 10,000. I don`t think a Cayenne could safely pull this kind of weight. If I`m wrong let me know. If there is a better TV that I should consider I would appreciate some input.

Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Airstream Pilot

Seattle , Washington
Reading the info on this forum and I would stay 25' or under for the Cayenne. I think 30' is pushing it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
I`m trying to figure out if a Cayenne is going to be able to tow this size trailer.
There are very few TV's that can wrestle a good sized TT into submission. The Porsche Cayenne is a vehicle that qualifies for that elite status. This video clip illustrates..... Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #24

Amarillo , Texas
Touareg 2 TDi

Does anybody use one of these?

It's a 3.0 TDi with 225 HP and 406 lbs/ft of torque.

I am looking into a 22' Sport that stays within the recommended/required tongue weight for the Touareg.

According to my info tongue weight for this vehicle should not exceed 616#.

Thanks
i-osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I have a 09 TDI

I have a 09 TDI (v6), while I have not towed anything but a motorcycle trailer I can tell you that the torque is more evident when driving it than my big block suburban (8.1). The other thing that would make this a RV tow vehicle is when you let off of the throttle it has a respectable engine breaking aspect to it. I can drive it like a manual transmission just by letting off the throttle and it will slow down for red lights etc.

My mileage has been awesome. While I only have 7k on it, I am getting a strong 26 with total mixed city/highway. I think I could easily go over 30 if I did highway and kept an eye on my speed.

Great car.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
Touareg 2 TDI

I just finished towing a 25 FB Flying Cloud 3,000+ miles from the West coast of Oregon through the mountains and narrow windy and winding roads along the coast, through California and the the desert to Tucson and then Interstate highways back to Wisconsin with our 2010 Touareg TDI. It pulled the the trailer without any problems at all--no sway and plenty of power to spare in the mountains and acceleration on the flats when you needed it. This is the third Touareg we have owned and by far the best. 26-27 mpg when not towing at 75-80 mph and 13-14 in the mountains 16-17 on the flats when towing.

The vehicle with factory hitch has a rated tongue weight of 770 lbs as stated in the manual. Some factory hitches have a label which VW has confirmed to me is erroneous. They have verified that the factory hitch meets the published specs and the label is incorrect. All my previous hitches were labeled as 770 and 7700 lbs as the published specs state.

I fully agree with the comments of SafariSS with respect to the engine braking and that it is a great vehicle and fun to drive.
johnroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
RPM of peak torque??

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnroth View Post
I just finished towing a 25 FB Flying Cloud 3,000+ miles from the West coast of Oregon through the mountains and narrow windy and winding roads along the coast, through California and the the desert to Tucson and then Interstate highways back to Wisconsin with our 2010 Touareg TDI. It pulled the the trailer without any problems at all--no sway and plenty of power to spare in the mountains and acceleration on the flats when you needed it. This is the third Touareg we have owned and by far the best. 26-27 mpg when not towing at 75-80 mph and 13-14 in the mountains 16-17 on the flats when towing.

The vehicle with factory hitch has a rated tongue weight of 770 lbs as stated in the manual. Some factory hitches have a label which VW has confirmed to me is erroneous. They have verified that the factory hitch meets the published specs and the label is incorrect. All my previous hitches were labeled as 770 and 7700 lbs as the published specs state.

I fully agree with the comments of SafariSS with respect to the engine braking and that it is a great vehicle and fun to drive.
Should our Dodge ever bite the dust, we would consider the Touareg TDI seriously as a replacement. I haven't been able to get the specs from our local VW dealer, so could you please let us know the RPM at which the torque peaks? Also, what RPM do you experience towing in the 55 to 65 MPH range?

Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
RPM Peak Torque-VW Touareg TDI

According to the VW website, 406lbs of torque at 1,750-2,250 rpms.

The RPM towing at 55-65 mph were in the low 2,000 rpms as best I can recall. I don't believe I ever exceeded 3,000 RPMs for any reason.
johnroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I too am looking at purchasing my first (and ONLY) Airstream and so want to do this right.

I KNOW I can go with the International 23 comfortably - but I really, really want to go with the 25' (actually 25' 11") Flying Cloud as it gives me EVERYTHING I WANT (the queen size bed AND the nice lounging front end section near the entrance, bigger fridge, yada, yada, yada) - these things are so expensive - another 5-7k to get exactly what you want if you can tow it safely is money well spent in my opinion...

I Am Not changing my Tow Vehicle as I LOVE IT - especially after owning its cousin for four years - a Cayenne S (V8 Porsche branded "Egg") and I only sold it after it went off of warranty and could not purchase an extended warranty at the time... Being an active member of the Reenlist forums - Glad I did sell it as repairs on these early models are very expensive but now I'm getting off topic...

Back to Topic...

I know the V6 TDI can tow this weight - and I will be using an "Equalizer Hitch" as per my Airstream dealer I am working with up North in Irvine.

Since I will be towing often in the mountains (San Diego to SteamBoat Springs, CO and back a few times a year) plus local trips to the Sierra Nevada's and Beaches of Cali) I need to know if I will be safe with my Airstream and "Egg" in a 25 footer.

Sooooooo - anyone know of any Airstream folks other than John Roth who has towed a 25 footer in the mountains regularly and what do you guys think (not to hijack a post - but this is inline with the original thread)... Hey John - you available to chat?

BTW - if you look at the install instructions from VW for the OEM Hitch - it states tongue weight for stabilizer hitch and without stabilizer hitch (same weight btw)....

I have steel springs - after air on the Cayenne S - I really, really like the feel of the Steel better - and other than lowering the Cayenne to look cool I never used them - and again I think the Steel feels better...

SO - think I can safely tow a 25 or should I stick with the 23 using my "Egg"?

PLEASE HELP ME TOOOOOOOO as I want to meet Wally......
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #30
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
....SO - think I can safely tow a 25 or should I stick with the 23?...
hi john

welcome aboard!

tdi=GOOD stuff!

devoman here has towed a 25 safari (not called flying clouds) for several years with a t-rex.

no mountain action but he's posted a LOT about his towing setup.

recently he switched to the pp HITCH and feels there has been MUCH improvement in side/suck/movement.

i've camped with devo' and seen his set up there are pics and info in this thread (see post #44)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

i do think that hitch is a BETTER choice with your vehicle because of the short wheelbase and the fact that...

little or almost NO w/d tension is needed to have essentially total sway control (ignoring ALL the other important rigging parameters)...

search his user name/profile and scan some of his threads on this trailer/vw ...

there are also a dozen or so threads on the t-rex, so search TITLES with the correct model name...

and u will find those threads.

u may have already noticed that there is another forum linked at the BOTTOM of the page, part of this community for your vehicle...

several members here also hang out there.

u should be FINE up to 25 foot, my only concern is HOW the oem receiver it attached to the rails/unibody of the dub ...

i've posted pix of the receiver and how it connects into one of the threads you will find.

safe towing!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
THANKS!!!!!!!!

I'm doing the research once more via your suggestions - I'm really, really wanting the 25 if I can safely tow it through the mountains!!!

Also excited to see the TDI in action - towed with the Cayenne S V8 (22 ft motorcycle trailer with 2 Ultra Classics) but only on flat ground so I don't really have anything to compare with yet....
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #32
_

. , .
the turbo diesel will be a bonus at altitude, where forced induction RULES...

big brakes, solid chassis, well engineered handling and so on...

NOT having the autolevelairbags will make hitching/set up easier.

there isn't much storage room inside a t'rex but u know that already.

the wiring harness is euro centric and needs a gizmo placed inline to work properly with led brake lights on these trailers...

attention needs to go toward properly inflating the tires on the t'rex and u may wanna added w i d e r m i r r o r s....

then select a good brake controller to engage the trailer brakes...

but these are minor issues.

again steve (devoman) has posted a LOT on using this combo...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the wiring harness is euro centric and needs a gizmo placed inline to work properly with led brake lights on these trailers...
2air'
GOOD NEWS CONCERNING LED LIGHTS on the T-Rex\Egg....

I had LED lights on enclosed cycle trailer I used with the Cayenne and was one of the first to discuss the dreaded "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as displayed in the gauge cluster...

SO - talking with the VW maintenance coordinator today - he said you can flash the T-Rex so it works with LED trailer lights - YEA!!!!

Researching the Pro Pride now as per your suggestion - can't seem to find any San Diego installers...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm looking forward to reading about how it goes. The PP would be ideal, IMO, and if I can talk my wife into one of these diesels, then the next trailer could be pulled by it or my truck (as to weight). Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
...SO - talking with the VW maintenance coordinator today - he said you can flash the T-Rex so it works with LED trailer lights - YEA!!!!

Researching the Pro Pride now as per your suggestion - can't seem to find any San Diego installers...
good info on the reflash, that's gonna save folks a LOT of frustration.

your a/s dealer SHOULD be willing to install ANY hitch u choose.

mine was willing and HAPPY to install the haha 5 years ago, at no charge, just so they could LEARN about it...

however the pp is MUCH easier to install and can be a diy, most of us have done the deed ourselves and posted about it...

lots of install pix in the previous link to the user's guide.

so IF u go that route we'll get ya hooked up over there.

cheers
2air'

Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
updates

Hi,

I would be very interested on updates about the V6TDI Touareg -25 FB combination. This would be my perfect setup but have neither right now, so I want to make sure the combination work.

How to you reduce tongue weight of the 25FB to make it under the Touareg Tongue weight capacity?

Thanks,

Simon
geosimsimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hitch

For those who are wondering about the hitch on this vehicle,Here is a how to.Just to let everyone know that this is an aftermarket hitch.The OEM from what I remember is a lot beefier than this one.The curt hitch has less tongue weight.I installed mine when I had my first Touareg years ago.This one I have now came pre installed.Trust me on this.It is a VERY heavy hitch and even though I did it by myself I had to use a jack as my second hand.
This will give those a general idea of how it is mounted though.The Cayenne is the same exact setup also.
etrailer.com | Trailer Hitch Installation - 2007 Volkswagen Touareg Video

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
what about towing a 27FB International? Is that pushing it too far?
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I know we can handle the 25 BUT the tongue weight is so much - but you are right that the tongue on the 27 is LESS than the 25 - and the weight is within our 80 percent - but would the extra few feet swing us around?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
So - 25 footer with 780 lb tongue weight - pick her up next month - I'm happy as can be...

Tags
towing capacity, touareg