Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #221
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
God - this issue will never die! Haven't visited the forums in a year, and people are still asking the same questions and still tossing around misinformation. Look back on this thread and you will see that the actualy tongue weight of Touaregs is 770 lbs. Some stubborn people continually argued that "the owners manual states 616lbs". What do you think is more probable, that the owners manuals had a mis-print (that never happens in litterature right?) or that it is correct, and that the VW factory folks that have been contacted directly ( I called them) are wrong when they say the tongue weight capacity is 770 lbs?

Let's just be done with this - the tongue weight for the T-Reg is 770lbs.

Now regarding the warranty being voided when using a WD hitch - this is also misinformation. I contacted VW directly, and they said it was not. They will send you a new sticker that does not say you can't use a WD hitch. However, the only piece I am not 100% clear about is the air suspension - as I recall it is not ok to use a WD hitch with air suspension, but I don't remember the definitive answer on warranty's regarding a WD and air suspension.

Sorry if this post has some attitude - I understand people that are new the touareg are understandably confused when they have one of the incorrect old stickers on their hitch. But what gets annoying is when those same people keep arguing after we give them evidence that these were incorrectly labeled and that the issue has been resolved.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #222
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
On a lighter note - I towed my 2008 23D International up Teton pass (think 11% grade?) loaded down with gear and 50% water last summer with our V8 T-Reg. It definitely worked going up, but I doubt I'll ever have to pull it up anything more challenging, so I feel like we made the right choice. It has been a great tow vehicle so far - no complaints other than the initial issues setting up the brake controller which was a major pain even with JFS Checks terrific instructions (I had no wiring harness - the 2007's didn't get one.)
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #223
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
We want to change our tow vehicle to a turbo diesel. Currently we have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. The gas mileage is killing us. It gets about 10 MPG towing. 14 MPG city/highway driving. Tow capacity for the Mountaineer is only around 6,000 lbs.

We're considering the Toureg TDI (3.0-liter V6 TDI turbodiesel) because of economy AND tow capacity. It's rated at 7,200 lbs right? Found a video where a reviewer got 26.1 MPG combined and 31.9 MPG highway (not towing). Here's the video:

That is incredible. How much are you guys getting towing? I see there's a mix of gas V8 and diesels here.

What is your towing mileage for the Toureg 3.0-liter V6 TDI turbodiesel? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #224
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
Towing with my V10 TDI, I get 17-18 mpg. I would think that the V6 TDI would do a little better.
earlwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #225
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
We get an average of 25MPG with our TDI. Our last short jaunt across island we were getting in the 30's. Yes, that's towing
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #226
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
We get an average of 25MPG with our TDI. Our last short jaunt across island we were getting in the 30's. Yes, that's towing
That's beyond impressive!!!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #227
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
The digital milage readout is often inaccurate and accurate milage is under what is displayed. True fuel milage needs to be hand calculated. Still, even if 30mpg turns to 27mpg, it's still quite and impressive and a testistiment to the 3L V6 TDI!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
That mileage is referring to their Golf - the 2.0-liter four-cylinder TDI - pulling a 16' Bambi. I was confused the first time I read the post too...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #229
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
That mileage is referring to their Golf - the 2.0-liter four-cylinder TDI - pulling a 16' Bambi. I was confused the first time I read the post too...

Tom
Sorry, I should have clarified again. It was in a previous post on this thread but I guess it has gotten a bit long Popular topic.
On another note, we've heard so much about the Touareg I have a feeling that will be our next TV.
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Javier and all Touareg users, we would like to know if you have reinforced or modified the factory hitch to tow your Airstream, it is it strong enough as is?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
No modifications on mine, with a 25 foot classic it was just too much tongue weight even though with the Pro Pride it towed quite well. 2 years I saw much stress on the hitch bolts and was not willing to continue with said setup without further modifications.

23 footer non-Classic and I'm sure I would have been fine...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #232
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
It's good like it comes, but peace of mind counts for something

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Javier and all Touareg users, we would like to know if you have reinforced or modified the factory hitch to tow your Airstream, it is it strong enough as is?

doug k

I think it's strong enough as it is. That said, for my 28 footer, I had my receiver reinforced by canam rv. It's the most capable vehicle I've ever driven.

I love my 2010 TDI and I'm sorry to see it go. It's currently being auctioned at no reserve. I'm not allowed to reference the page but let's just eSay that it's a good deal.
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #233

Virginia Beach , Virginia
VW Touareg TDI Tongue Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
This has been discussed on many forums including this one, club touareg and a few others. Some stickers are incorrect. Call VW and have them send you out a new sticker. They will confirm that the actual tongue weight rating is 770lbs. I too had the 616lb sticker - called VW, and they confirmed that it is not correct and sent me a new sticker.
Nightwatch, I have a 2011 Touareg TDI which has a sticker that states 616. I called VW North America today to request a new sticker and they stated the specifications have not changed, the tongue weight is 616 and they will not send out a new sticker. Can you tell me who you spoke to, what number you called and would it be possible for you to send me a photo of your new sticker? We have found a travel trailer that we want to purchase but 616 is not sufficient.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa
4myrott@cox.net
rottnk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #234

2012 28' International
Flower Mound , Texas
To Touareg or not to Touareg. That is my question.

I am the proud owner of a 12 International 28 footer. Tonge weight is an amazing 950 lbs.

My current TV is an 04 Ram diesel long bed 2500. That could pull a house off its foundation. But its a bitch as a daily driver.

I have that new car fever and would love a diesel Egg or Grand Cherokee or new 14 Ram1500 diesel.

TDI diesel is my first choice and I found an awesome one but quite hesitant to attach it to my Airstream. Some little voice is telling my its way out of safety margins.

What say the crowd?

Jim
Jblaverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblaverty View Post

I am the proud owner of a 12 International 28 footer. Tonge weight is an amazing 950 lbs.

My current TV is an 04 Ram diesel long bed 2500. That could pull a house off its foundation. But its a bitch as a daily driver.

I have that new car fever and would love a diesel Egg or Grand Cherokee or new 14 Ram1500 diesel.

TDI diesel is my first choice and I found an awesome one but quite hesitant to attach it to my Airstream. Some little voice is telling my its way out of safety margins.

What say the crowd?

Jim
Ok Jim, I think your fellow Texans may be scratching their heads since you already have an enviable TV. I think your TW is probably closer to 1200 lbs. I am also quite sure the TW on mine is about that and I tow it with a Can Am modified Jeep GC Diesel. I do that because the Jeep is my daily driver, but it is starting to get beat up a bit. The Touareg can do it but the price you will pay is an increase in operating costs once it gets a couple of hundred thousand miles on it. My Jeep is approaching 300,000K and I have to replace the shocks and maybe the rear springs as well as all the other normal maintenance stuff. No free lunch, but it sure beats trying to herd a truck around downtown. Jim
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:

What say the crowd?

Jim
If it were me, I would be more concerned with what the car manufacturer would say, instead of us! If they find you a have exceeded the load limits in any way, I'll bet that's the end of all your warranties.

Having said that, yes you could possibly tow. But, look closely at the Jeep's or Ram's payload limits. Your tongue load will use about 2/3. That does not leave a lot for passengers and gear. Also, when the vehicle is at or close to the maximum payload, it will not tow it's maximum trailer capacity, because this would exceed the combined vehicle capacity.

Neither Touareg, Jeep GC, or Ram 1500 will work for me!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #237

Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:

What say the crowd?

Jim
You are correct Jim. The VW TDI diesel isn't going to safely pull your Airstream. The max tongue weight on the TDI is 616 with or without weight distribution. Your Airstream well exceeds that at 950. Not only would your warrantee be completely void you would have a real safety issue that could get you in a lot of trouble should you be involved in an accident. I would look for a more suitable TV. We currently have a 2011 TDI and we do love it but it's complicated our search for the right TT because of the lower tongue weight. Had the tongue weight be the standard 770 based on 10% of the tow weight of 7,700 we'd have a lot more options. Still looking.
Good luck to you in your search for a new TV.
Lisa
rottnk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #238
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Touareg T1 & T2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch_weight.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	189009  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #239

2012 28' International
Flower Mound , Texas
Thanks for all the additional info. T-Egg has been removed from my list. I knew it wasnt going to work. I just needed to hear it I suppose. Jim
Jblaverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #240
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The lower weight is one of the many reasons we decided to purchase an older TT. The tongue weight on our 34' International is a very manageable 630lbs, the total 6250lbs.

Of course, there's no corian countertops anywhere.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing capacity, touareg