Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Vintage tow vehicle

My wife and I have discussed picking up a vintage truck to use as a tow vehicle for the Overlander. After driving my '52 Chevy for many year, I'm a bit spoiled by the size, comfort and conveniences of a new truck. Of course, there is the "cool" factor of a vintage truck and the fact that I could actually turn wrenches on an old truck without a NASA-computer complex. So, on this cold and otherwise dull day... is picking up a vintage 3/4-ton truck "worth it" or are the new trucks just too darn nice?
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
There are some websites that offer restorations with modern running gear, ie, disc brakes, power steering, modern automatic transmissions, modified suspensions and new electrics.. all disguised nicely in an original retro truck. There are people that have invested thousands of dollars into functional toys like this that need money right now. You can get it for pennys on the dollar. (unfortunatley for them)

Try www.Hemmingsmotornews.com as a great resource and a fun read.

Good luck.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I guess I would ask, when does a TV become a vintage unit? Airstreams are considered to be vintage when they are 25-30 years old. You can get antique license plates when the vehicle is 25 years old. That would put the vintage unit in the mid 1980's which although the vehciles did not compare to what we have now days they were improving from the previous years also. My first TV was a 1986 suburban and it had plenty of room and handled my 27' A/S with no problem. Had a tendancy to overheat once in a while but it still performed o.k. I think vehicles like that at a vintage rally would look cool. The way I am going right now my TV will be a vintage in another 10 years and it has just barely broken 100,000 miles on it.
Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I think of "vintage" cars as pre-1972 or so. There's no particular reason, but I guess it's just my perspective. I think there's something cool about the idea of towing a '67 Airstream with a mid 60s tow vehicle. Now, I know those old 3/4 or 1 tons were usually pretty "torquey," and will pull the Overlander... but not at 70 mph. I agree that it's easy to find a rig a person has put far more into than he or she can get out of it. I guess it's like an Airstream... is this a business decision or a recreational decision? Thanks for the tip on Hemmings. I found a great International Travelall from '67 that looks like a fun ride... though can you even find Int'l parts any more?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
You would like a Travelall, especially if the front suspension is IFS.

Parts are readily available, unless you are talking about sheet metal.

What's the model number on the Travelall?

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Vintage tow vehicle

We have towed a vintage Canned Ham trailer for 20 years with the following vehicles: 50 Chevrolet truck, 52 Hudson Hornet, 46 Hudson pick up, 55 Cadillac and our current 58 Cadillac.

We now have the Airstream Flying Cloud which we tow with the 58 Caddy.
An early 50s Chevrolet with a 216 or 235 Cu. in. six cylinder would not work well but a big V8 Buick or Cadillac would be adequate. There is a lot to be said for modern running gear however.

Our Cadillac has a 1990 Chevrolet Vortec 350 motor. The advantage is parts avalibility on a trip. Disavantage it does not have the torque the old 365 Cad motor so I am disapointed in the mountains.
Dick and Judy
"Deam Art"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58cad&trailer 006.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	74040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying Cloud 021.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	74042  

DeamArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Those are BIG dogs! What a great setup. would love to see it motoring down the road. Im sure you get Thumbs up all the time..

Thanks for sharing the pics

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I called my father who has owned about half a million trucks (or so it seems). He had an International Scout back in the 60s. He said it was probably once of the worst rigs he'd ever owned. His all time favorite was a '72 Ford F-250 4x4. Must have bolted on everything right at the factory, I guess. He liked the old "high boy" Ford trucks before they stopped making them, but I'm not sure I think of them as "vintage." I showed my wife the Travelall... which she thought was handsome. I showed her some mid-60s trucks... which she thought were cute. I'm not sure we've found a winning style for her yet. She likes the the lines of the 50 Chevys (who doesn't) but given my very intimate knowlege of the trucks, I think a guy would have to veer away from "stock" and just build a new truck under the old body to have a freeway capable towing rig.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
By the late 60s most trucks had IFS and disc brakes. All were available with air conditioning, power steering and brakes, and other mod cons.

Trucks from the late 50s were available with powerful V8 engines and 3 speed automatic transmissions.

It wouldn't bother me to tow with a pickup from the 50s or newer PROVIDED it had disc brakes and V8 engine, and was in top shape from bumper to bumper. Fortunately all mechanical parts are available for old trucks, even more than cars, and they are not hard to fix.

You should count on spending a few thousands of $$$$ bucks on cooling system, tires, brakes, and possibly engine and trans work. But it could definitely be done.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I called my father who has owned about half a million trucks (or so it seems). He had an International Scout back in the 60's. He said it was probably once of the worst rigs he'd ever owned. His all time favorite was a '72 Ford F-250 4x4. Must have bolted on everything right at the factory, I guess. He liked the old "high boy" Ford trucks before they stopped making them, but I'm not sure I think of them as "vintage." I showed my wife the Travelall... which she thought was handsome. I showed her some mid-60's trucks... which she thought were cute. I'm not sure we've found a winning style for her yet. She likes the the lines of the 50 Chevy's (who doesn't) but given my very intimate knowledge of the trucks, I think a guy would have to veer away from "stock" and just build a new truck under the old body to have a freeway capable towing rig.
What is being done with the 50's trucks and the early 60's as well is to drop them on a later frame. Keep everything from the later truck (the later 70's and 80's trucks had a rust issue so the bodies are easy to grenade). Check out 74"twinkie" who has an early 50's suburban he has dropped on a later truck and tows an Argosy painted the same. I believe it is a 4X4 that he used. A beautiful set up, all the latest comforts inside, lots of room, and later model suspension and power train. There are quite a few folks I know of who tow their Airstreams with mid 60's Suburbans as well. There are suspension kits, disc brake conversion kits, and swapping power trains is very simple. They take well to later model interiors, lots of room, look good, and can usually be bought for a reasonable price. Check them for rust though, as depending on how it spent its life.........

Barry
Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I called my father who has owned about half a million trucks (or so it seems). He had an International Scout back in the 60s. He said it was probably once of the worst rigs he'd ever owned. His all time favorite was a '72 Ford F-250 4x4. Must have bolted on everything right at the factory, I guess. He liked the old "high boy" Ford trucks before they stopped making them, but I'm not sure I think of them as "vintage." I showed my wife the Travelall... which she thought was handsome. I showed her some mid-60s trucks... which she thought were cute. I'm not sure we've found a winning style for her yet. She likes the the lines of the 50 Chevys (who doesn't) but given my very intimate knowlege of the trucks, I think a guy would have to veer away from "stock" and just build a new truck under the old body to have a freeway capable towing rig.
Dad is right. The "baby" Scouts were pretty basic and a product that was still evolving.

All International vehicles are costly to operate in terms of fuel costs. If you find one in running and in fairly good shape, you won't spend much money making it reliable... unless you do a fair amount of front suspension work. Usually, you're going to have to do some work on them though.

Last camping trip that we used our 1973 Travelall 1010, we averaged 10 mpg. We use a 1406 Edelbrock carb on a 345 V-8, 3-speed automatic, 3.54 gears, and 30" tires. Not towing, we can average 15 mpg on the interstate. I'm pretty light-footed and tow between 55 and 60 mph. Front disc, rear drums on this truck as well. Spent under $3000 total for the truck and all parts to get it tow-ready, including new carb and a few front suspension parts (ball joints, idler arm, and pitman arm). New carb improved mileage from 7-8 in tow and 12-13 not towing.

Last trip, we drove a '73 Travelette 1210. Truck has a 392 V-8, 3-speed automatic, 3.73 gears, and 31" tires. We averaged 8.5 mpg towing to the Can Opener (same trip last year, 10 mpg with the Travelall), and we've not dug into the carb and fuel system yet. Cruise at 60 mph at 2400 rpm.

Seeing that the truck averages 10 mpg unloaded, losing 15% mileage efficiency in tow is not really all that bad.

You have options, and I believe you'd really like towing with an International. More thumbs up and "my dad had one" comments than you can handle. Hope this helps.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Vintage Lincolns as TV?

Has anyone had experience with mid to late 70's Lincolns?
They look great. They used the 460 and 400 v8.
Would a 400 v8 be adequate or should the 460 be used only?
Trailer weight around 5000lbs.

The 79 Collector Series I enclosed as an attachment look sweet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leftside.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	74232   Click image for larger version

Name:	passside.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	74233  

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Greg.. Back in the early 70's my Dad had a 1972 Ford LTD with a 400ci 2v.

He towed a 5,000lb SOB TT and it worked fine.

Today with our modern sedan we are towing 4,500lbs with an engine half that size and it has power to spare.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage tow vehicle

Greetings Silverwanabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Vintage Lincolns as TV?

Has anyone had experience with mid to late 70's Lincolns?
They look great. They used the 460 and 400 v8.
Would a 400 v8 be adequate or should the 460 be used only?
Trailer weight around 5000lbs.

The 79 Collector Series I enclosed as an attachment look sweet...
According to the information that I have from 1979, Ford required the 460 V8 for towing -- with that engine, special towing axle ratio, and heavy duty cooling the Town Car was listed as having either a 6,500 or 7,000 pound trailer tow limit depending upon where it was originally delivered.

We have a member here on the Forums (Bill Kerfoot --wkerfoot) who tows with a 1970s Town Car and is quite satisfied with its performance -- I remember Bill and his car well since the Lincoln is in my favorite shade of green. I am almost certain that his has the 460 V8 -- in fact, I believe that he has posted to this thread or one of the other Vintage Tow Vehicle threads.

Kevin

P.S.: The Photo below is my favorite of Bill's combination in Death Valley

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
What is being done with the 50's trucks and the early 60's as well is to drop them on a later frame. Keep everything from the later truck (the later 70's and 80's trucks had a rust issue so the bodies are easy to grenade). Check out 74"twinkie" who has an early 50's suburban he has dropped on a later truck and tows an Argosy painted the same. I believe it is a 4X4 that he used. A beautiful set up, all the latest comforts inside, lots of room, and later model suspension and power train. There are quite a few folks I know of who tow their Airstreams with mid 60's Suburbans as well. There are suspension kits, disc brake conversion kits, and swapping power trains is very simple. They take well to later model interiors, lots of room, look good, and can usually be bought for a reasonable price. Check them for rust though, as depending on how it spent its life.........

Barry
Hey Barry, Thanks for the nice words.

Stats-- 1950 GMC Suburban body
1982 GMC Sububan chassis- 1/2 ton- 2 wheel drive- 6.2 liter Diesel- power steering and brakes- no air conditioning (although the console type swamp cooler helps [almost]).

First of all, a vintage vehicle is a "labor of love"(unless you have lots of money). My Burb has been on the road for almost 3 years, use it as my daily driver and have enjoyed every minute (except when the injector pump shaft broke) .
The 82' donor had its advantages- low cost , no computers and easy to find parts. This made the transfer much easier. If anything brakes (and it will) I can find parts at the nearest auto parts store.
After a 10,000 mile road trip (averaged 12 MPG), my only gripe was that I didn't have enough power at times. After I got back I added a turbo-charger and the ability to run on vegetable oil. The turbo helps and my Burb hasn't seen a fueling station since October.
There is something to be said for the comfort and power of the newer vehicles. But you can't overlook the "cool factor" of the oldies.
Whatever you choose make sure it is up to the task of towing your trailer.
This site is a wealth of knowledge. I didn't know it existed until after I did my truck and trailer projects. Who knew there were others as "nuts" as I am. Good luck with your projects, whatever they may be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2040.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	74236  
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi 74“Twinkie”

That is one of the best looking combos I’ve seen.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi 74“Twinkie”

That is one of the best looking combos I’ve seen.
It looks even better in person.

Barry
Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Silverwanabe!

According to the information that I have from 1979, Ford required the 460 V8 for towing -- with that engine, special towing axle ratio, and heavy duty cooling the Town Car was listed as having either a 6,500 or 7,000 pound trailer tow limit depending upon where it was originally delivered.

We have a member here on the Forums (Bill Kerfoot --wkerfoot) who tows with a 1970s Town Car and is quite satisfied with its performance -- I remember Bill and his car well since the Lincoln is in my favorite shade of green. I am almost certain that his has the 460 V8 -- in fact, I believe that he has posted to this thread or one of the other Vintage Tow Vehicle threads.

Kevin

P.S.: The Photo below is my favorite of Bill's combination in Death Valley

Kevin,

Thanks, my Lincoln is a 1977 49 state car. 1977 is the first year that only the 400 was available in California. In 1978, I think, only the 400 was available in all 50 states. I would not use any Lincoln with the 400 for towing, I have heard that they have trouble getting out of their own way.

Here is another picture of the Lincoln and our Liner as we arrived at the VAC assembly the day before the VAC parade at the Bozeman International.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	summer2008.1 193a.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	74244  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Bill,

Your Lincoln and Liner look great together. This is the way I remember seeing Airstreams on the road in the sixties and seventies. Behind big cars and station wagons. I don't think I ever saw one behind a truck going down the road until the late eighties when trucks had been significantly upgraded. Then I started seeing older trucks being used as well, but up until then, in my little part of the world, it was cars that were used. Lincolns, Caddies, LTD and T-bird models, Caprices, and the big Chrysler products.

My friends father had a 1971 LTD, 429 engine, and pulled either a 28 or 30 foot Airstream all over the country and never had an ounce of trouble.

Barry
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Barry,

Up until the 1980's, pickups rode like an oxcart, I know my PowerWagon does. With the down sizing of the cars and the lower CAFE standards for trucks, Detroit started making the pickups more civilized and they were used. Except for the Suburban and International Travelall which have been tow vehicles for some time.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicles, vintage