Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Granville , OH
Very New At This

Looking at purchasing a 16 foot 2002 Bambi. Weighs 2,800 plus addons.

I have a 2015 Ford Edge with a 5000 tow capability. I don't plan to tow long distances over mountains and such, so I'm feeling that it will be OK.

Any opinions?
Mark Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
2015 Models:
The 2015 Ford Edge had similar specs to the 2016 model but there was a footnote about the lower capacity on models equipped with the 2.7L engine having a lower capacity if equipped with 20″ wheels.

The average towing capacity was basically the same though for the 2015 Ford Edge, ranging from 2,000 lbs.-3,500 lbs.

Engine Axle Configuration Max. Trailer Weight
2.0L EcoBoost I4 FWD/AWD 3,500 lbs.(1)
2.7L EcoBoost V6 FWD/AWD 2,000 lbs.(2)
3.5L V6 FWD/AWD 3,500 lbs.(1)

are you sure the Edge can tow up to 5,000 lbs?

You can try Explorer with Factory Installed tow package (not DYI or Dealer Installed)

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm with Hartford, I don't see any Edge with greater than 3,500 towing capacity. Understandable too, it's a small vehicle. 3500 also happens to be the maximum gross weigh for the trailer. If you don't have the Sport version with the 20" wheels (front wheels will be too stiff, risk of oversteer causes Ford to derate it), you can make a go of it very marginally. If you have any gear to carry, consider a more capable vehicle though, you just don't have much payload capacity when towing. There are so many vehicles with 4500 and more towing capacity, I would recommend one with more safety margin than the Edge.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
You wanted opinions, you came to the right place!
Note to all newbies: Your questions often have serious implications, and any forum members sticking their reputation out there deserve sufficient information to provide a good answer.
What engine/drivetrain do you have? Towing options? What did your Airstream dealer tell you (beyond “Sign right here”)? Is there a tow rating on the tow vehicle’s door sticker?
If you roam through these towing threads, you’ll find an enormous spread of opinions. The one theme that should register with you is the need to have a combination that has a decent chance of avoiding an accident under unusual conditions. These can occur anywhere, even close to home, and all too often involve idiot drivers.
I wish you many happy miles in your new trailer. You’ll find that well researched confidence contributes more to the good times than bare optimism.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Andrew View Post
Looking at purchasing a 16 foot 2002 Bambi. Weighs 2,800 plus addons.

I have a 2015 Ford Edge with a 5000 tow capability. I don't plan to tow long distances over mountains and such, so I'm feeling that it will be OK.

Any opinions?
I would not depend on the AS published weights, they can be painfully low, best to add at least another 1k for camping and all the stuff you may think you don't need.

“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t.” or “you may think you don’t need it but when you do….you’ll have it.”
RLC

As noted above it's probably time to seriously consider a more capable TV.(tow vehicle)

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
I am sure you can find the specs on towing and trailer weight to consider. I do not see so ask if you are experienced with towing anything with your selected tv. Where you are towing? Can do, should do are different questions. I know I used to tow a 23’ Searay with a little Bronco II 6 banger, and can tell you I knew it was back there. Tail wagging the dog. And I had years of towing experience and knowledge of handling, but still had to have respect for limitations. Probably can’t recommend. Downhill could get scary fast. I really like the feel of control towing behind my Silverado. So if you find vehicle works and set-up is close to limits, please do be extremely cautious. Be Safe.