Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey Jim Golden ,

You are right on about the dodge ,ny good friend bought a 5 speed 2004
I think ,real quiet indide and runs like a champ ,very powerful and good mileage.Any news on the aluminum frame idea from a while back?

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
GM has gone back to drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
....and disc brakes on the rear.
The discs on the back of my GM and have replaced the rear pads twice in 60,000 miles, the front are still good. The newer models have gone back to drums. The problem is the rear discs get covered in road, you name it, grit, mud, road sand. Toyota has rear drums as well.

Wishing I could get a used 5 cylinder diesel in a rig to plow the driveway and pull 6,000lbs.

Until then the 4.8 Sierra will have to due.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Sometimes the badging is different, sometimes it not!
After looking for the right model and configuration for our tow vehicle, we finally opted to just order it from the Chevrolet dealer.
When it came in, everything looked great, including the GMC steering wheel!

Even with its 'dual personality,' it been a great performer.
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1993 35' Legacy Diesel
richmond , Michigan
After a bunch of research I ended up with a 5.9 cummins in my 2001 dodge pu and I also have a 12v in my 93 Dp MH. If you ever look at the pistons and cranks in the cummins and the power stroke or duramax the story will become clear. If you are going to tow by all means go to the cummins. This is a 500,000 mile motor if taking some care and proper maintanance is done. As stated the 12v pre 98.5 is a mechanical mtr. and will be easy to do a pump or injector upgrade and get the H.P up over 300 pretty easy. Also as mentioned the KDP fix needs to be done about a 4 hr job even for a novice. If going to a newer (I think prior to 2002) you need to watch for the dreaded 53 block where there were some cracking problems. the 47re trans has been the snafu of the dodge powertrain. Chevy had the right idea when thy coupled with the allison tranny. There are many fixes for the Dodge tranny and you might want to add a couple thousand to your cost to get the tranny upgraded.(less if you do not plan on making many mods) Remember that a Cummins is a commercial duty in line 6 mtr. a little (no alot) more noisey in the 12V but the rattle is fun. The gas mtr will not last if you are towing with it 100,000 about all you can expect, but to give it its due a rebuild is not all that expensive and will give you another 75-100,000 If you tow on hills you can expect the cummins to be doing about the same speed at the top as at the bottom, the gas will struggle with it.(depending on Load). anyhow getting too long winded here so I'll be quiet. Hope this helps.
1997 Saturn Toad
Dog Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by specauto
I've never owned one of these because Chevrolet never put it in the 3500HD's. With an Allsion transmission, this may be a great combo
GM has offered the 3500 series with a Duramax/Allision combo for several years. I took a hard look at one in 2004.

A 3500 would tow a 31' Airstream just fine, but so would a 2500. I think the 3500 would be too harsh and stiff of a ride for any towable Airstream out there, with the exception of the squarestream 5th wheel.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Check out this link regarding the Ford/Dodge vs. Chevy/GMC issue:

http://www.gooddiesels.com/EQUAL.HTM
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I drive a diesel MH and can sneak into and out of campgrounds but when a little 'ole Dodge pick up with that Cummins starts up anywhere in a campground the ground shakes. What does is sound like inside the cab?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I drive a diesel MH and can sneak into and out of campgrounds but when a little 'ole Dodge pick up with that Cummins starts up anywhere in a campground the ground shakes. What does is sound like inside the cab?
It's quieter inside than out, a good thing.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My dad's '99 Cummins is pretty loud. My '04 isn't nearly as bad. Inside with the windows up, you can hardly tell it's a diesel. I can even order stuff at the drivethrough without shutting the engine off.

Of interesting note, I heard that when Cummins was redesigning the engine for the common rail high pressure fuel injection setup, they had a focus group come in. The group was composed of "diesel guys", and they said the engine was "too quiet", that you couldn't tell it was a diesel. So, Cummins made it a little louder.

Don't know if it's true or not. Seems odd to me...I'd make the thing silent if I could. But maybe the diesel heads out there want it to sound like a Kenworth.

Bottom line: I really like mine a lot! I used to have a 350 powered Suburban. We were coming up Corridor H in WV last weekend. A pretty steep hill. I'm running about 70-75 and the Dodge is just loafing along. Blew by an old Suburban like the one I used to have (an '86) and it was struggling to make 65 up the same hill. I blew his doors off while getting better mileage in a vehicle that's half again bigger.

Turbo diesels rock!