Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One caution regarding conversion vans is the tow ratings. Conversion vans are inheriently heavier than factory window vans so understand in advance, how that conversion package has altered "factory specs".

Also note that a more robust chasis may not always translate to higher tow ratings. At the time my 2003 GMC 3/4 ton passenger van with a 4.10 rear axle and 6.0 liter gas engine had the best tow ratings of any GM van built (9,900 lbs). The reasons were two fold. First in that year, no diesal was available in the vans. Secondly the one ton van with the same top end engine and axle had lower tow ratings due to the heavier weight of the one ton frame.

A van is a terrific alternative for towing. It punches a big footprint in the air and its wheelbase in the 3/4 ton range makes for a very stable towing platform. Add in the benefits of the protected storage space and a much lower price than a SUV, you've got a pretty good option in hauling your cargo along with the trailer itself.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Ya got me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Folks,

After pulling our new (to us) 2006 28" International CCD from Texas to the Grand Tetons and back, we realized a couple of things.

One, the 2000 F-250 (5.4L V8) just doesn't have enough juice to get the job done long term.

Two, given the camera gear I usually travel with, an SUV would be a better choice for us.

So, I've narrowed down to a couple of tow vehicle choices. I'm looking at the Ford Excursion (either 2003 7.3 diesel or 2005 6.0 diesel) and at the 2006 Chevy Suburban 2500 (with the 8.1L V8).

That said, the smaller the SUV I can get away with, the happier the entire family will be.

Do any of you have experiences to share on the specific models I posted? Do others have a different (non-pickup) make or model I should look at based on the weights of the trailer I'm towing?

All information and opinions are appreciated.

--SM
What can I say.. we partial.

Love it this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 193.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	70866  
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
FFWilliston

2021 30RB Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Tow with Nissan Armada

Am towing a 30' Classic with the Nissan Armada (9,100 lbs rating). Does a great job (I tow a heavy boat too) and has very good creature comforts inside. Looks good, too. Take a test drive; I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Sincerely, Fred
ffwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
If I had to chose again I would go with the V10. I had an '03 V10 that was a superb tow engine. Now I've got a '07 6.0L diesel - the fuel economy is a little better (about 2mpg towing) and it's been trouble free with 50,000 miles on it. The oil changes and fuel filters have made it more expensive to maintain then the V10. So for the money, I would go back to the V10.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What can I say.. we partial.

Love it this way.
I'd love a 'burb, but with the 7300# GVW of our trailer, I wonder how well it would pull. Any thoughts?

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwilliston View Post
Am towing a 30' Classic with the Nissan Armada (9,100 lbs rating). Does a great job (I tow a heavy boat too) and has very good creature comforts inside. Looks good, too. Take a test drive; I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Sincerely, Fred
Wow! Towing a TT that size with the Armada? I guess when you're towing in the "lowcountry" it's probably okay.

I worry about pulling in the "mountains" of West Texas with only 9100# of rating.

But a test drive may be in order.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
it's true that the early Ford 6.0 DIT(direct inject turbo) were the most troublesome of the 6.0 liter engines. A multitude of problems in the 2003 & 2004 model years. I am a Ford master certified diesel mechanic, I made a BUNCH of house payments off the early 6.o liter engines. The 2005 showed significant improvments, my brother against my advice bought a 2005 and loved it. However they are prone to injecter failure ie: the top of the injecter breaks-into multiple small pieces. On some engines this happens repeatedly on the same cylinder. As has been previously mentioned the Torque Shift transmission on these units is awesome, there were some early(2003&4) torque converter problems but they seem to have been resolved by 2005 model year. My opinion is you cannot beat a 7.3 DIT diesel! Plenty of power & boringly reliable. They will shuck a cam sensor now and again. The 6.0 is a rocket ship, the old 7.3 is always there. And it ain't no slouch in the performance department. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks for the info. It really seems like the 7.3L Excursion might be the way to go. Reliable powerplant, deals to be had, and plenty of miles left in those vehicles.

--SM
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
IIRC, our 28' CCD goes 7300# fully loaded to the max. Following the 80% "rule", I always figured the new Sequoia would be pushing the comfort zone.

--SM
80% would be 7600# so you would be under the your rule... It wont' tow like the suburban, (speed wise) But it handles better than the Nissan and has more torque... over 400 foot lbs... and 372 hp.. (from what I have read)

But it's up to you..... Maybe go a look at one... We like a lot of the features it has... Lots of storage places (unlike the burb) lock the center dif. for if you really get stuck... All seats fold flat 60-40 3rd row split 40-20-40 2nd row spilt... Built in desk on front passenger seat if you sit in second row... It has a lot of cool features...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Wow! Towing a TT that size with the Armada? I guess when you're towing in the "lowcountry" it's probably okay.

I worry about pulling in the "mountains" of West Texas with only 9100# of rating.

But a test drive may be in order.
Rich Luhr (Airstream Life) tows his 30' Bunkhouse with his Armada....
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Rich Luhr (Airstream Life) tows his 30' Bunkhouse with his Armada....
Really?! Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I wonder what kind of cargo carrying capacity those SUVs have? (Googling it now.)

--SM
Old 11-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
80% would be 7600# so you would be under the your rule... It wont' tow like the suburban, (speed wise) But it handles better than the Nissan and has more torque... over 400 foot lbs... and 372 hp.. (from what I have read)

But it's up to you..... Maybe go a look at one... We like a lot of the features it has... Lots of storage places (unlike the burb) lock the center dif. for if you really get stuck... All seats fold flat 60-40 3rd row split 40-20-40 2nd row spilt... Built in desk on front passenger seat if you sit in second row... It has a lot of cool features...

My folks have a Sequoia and it's a sweet vehicle. I'll check out the specs and see about a test drive. (Think they'd let me do a "test tow?")
Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Before I leased our 08 f150, I looked at a company called sportsmobile. You can custom order vans anyway you want, and I mean anyway with a dodge sprinter diesel or ford and chev both 250 and 350 series, diesel or gas. Really neat website that allows you to create a full class b motorhome, or just a great day trip/ tow vehicle. It maybe my next choice as I am crossing the country 4 time/year and having a full bed/small bathroom/tow vehicle when not towing and letting my wife do the driving is next on the list indeed. I just wish they would lease them. Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am surrprised about your towing experience with your F250. I am guessing you have a 3.55 axle ratio. That was a problem with that configuration. I have 4.10 I have no problem with 12000lbs. The new 5.4 ltr also is a 3v per cylinder and 6 speed automatic tranny.

With oil prices as volitale as they have been, I dont know if I would buy a diesel, diesel is very close to home heating oil , along with commercial transportation/fuel sure charges, It wouldnt make much sense to drop the price like gas.

When it comes to tow vehicles, I also couldnt imagine wasting time with a foreign Toyota/ nissan ect unit. I would consider German now. But the quality and longevity of the Toyota's and Nissans isnt there. I am not talking about camry or carrolla. I wouldnt buy one of them either, but I am talking tow vehicles.

I have tested them and would tell you or anyone else to do the same in real world testing. Dont be to immpressed with a over marketed product. The good stuff markets itself. The garbage needs to be rolled out over and over again to convince everyone.

Good Luck
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I am surrprised about your towing experience with your F250. I am guessing you have a 3.55 axle ratio. That was a problem with that configuration. I have 4.10 I have no problem with 12000lbs. The new 5.4 ltr also is a 3v per cylinder and 6 speed automatic tranny.

With oil prices as volitale as they have been, I dont know if I would buy a diesel, diesel is very close to home heating oil , along with commercial transportation/fuel sure charges, It wouldnt make much sense to drop the price like gas.

When it comes to tow vehicles, I also couldnt imagine wasting time with a foreign Toyota/ nissan ect unit. I would consider German now. But the quality and longevity of the Toyota's and Nissans isnt there. I am not talking about camry or carrolla. I wouldnt buy one of them either, but I am talking tow vehicles.

I have tested them and would tell you or anyone else to do the same in real world testing. Dont be to immpressed with a over marketed product. The good stuff markets itself. The garbage needs to be rolled out over and over again to convince everyone.

Good Luck
He has a 2000 F250, it is a 2 valve per cylinder engine and it has an E4OD transmission, which is a 4 speed. John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Well, I test drove a diesel Excursion (2002), a V-10 Excursion (2003) and a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L gas engine.

Now, I wasn't towing, but I think I'm leaning towards the diesel Excursion.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Really?! Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I wonder what kind of cargo carrying capacity those SUVs have? (Googling it now.)

--SM
Here's a couple of pictures of it from yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	71123   Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	71124  

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Okay, okay! I'll go test drive the Armada already!

Seriously, if that combination works for my 28' CCD, I'd be a very happy man.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think U would be well satisfied with the Excursion. Please don't trade Fuel mileage for safety. A testament to safety . Search here for the thread from thecatandsandi He got hit by another vehicle and managed to maintain control and bring the Rig to a stop. He has a heavy tow vehicle.Check it out.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Just got back from breakfast with the wife, and spent a few minutes looking over an Armada in the parking lot. Looks good, and like the size, but I have to admit, some of the components (brakes, frame, etc.) just don't quite seem "heavy-duty" enough for me. I guess I've come to understand the philosophy many on this site have, which is it's better to have more TV than you need than to need more TV than you have. After all, when you find out you don't have enough TV, it's usually in a situation that could go from bad to dangerous to downright deadly.

So, I'm still leaning towards the diesel Excursion (which I also like 'cause I can run biodiesel in it).

Cheers!