Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I talked to Andy Thomson at Can-Am as well as Shaun at Pro-Pride and after crunching the numbers ordered a 2013 GC Summit last fall with the factory tow package, 4x4 and the hemi as a TV for my 25' Safari FB. The AS weighs 6280 with a tongue weight of 800#. The direct link brake controller should be here today and the Pro-Pride is on order. My last TV was a Silverado 2500HD that actually had 5 foot pounds of torque LESS that the GC! My main concern about the diesel was not local service, but service on the road and a $4000 upcharge over the V-6 with the possibility of a dealer premium. The towing specs between the 3.0 diesel and Hemi are real close. I've owned a diesel station wagon and an F350 as well as a boat with twin Ford Laymans. The cost of maintenance on a diesel is a turn off for me.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Got to say, the power train I'm curious about is the Hemi with the new 8-spd automatic. We love towing with our Durango Hemi (same platform) but wouldn't mind 1-2 more mpg. And I also love cheap maintenance ($7 oil filters!) That said, I've driven the GC diesel and it is very, very nice.

I like the plug-and-play nature of towing with this platform - no fussing. Like having a full spare, the Directlink capability, self-leveling rear suspension, and the tidy hitch and wiring.

Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The hemi is a v-eight, and developers it's power at a higher rpm than the diesel. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
It sounds very similar to my VW Touareg diesel which has been a fantastic tow vehicle/daily driver. I don't even try to argue how good the small SUV with small diesel is because it's too hard to describe the astounding performance without folks thinking your full of it. They tune out when they hear 17 mpg towing because they don't believe it. You really just need to experience it to believe it.
What year is your Touareg? I am looking for a midsized SUV or wagon to tow and drive so I want something that gets ok gas mileage, but could tow a 21-23' trailer (still shopping, havent bought one yet).
hannahs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The hemi is a v-eight, and developers it's power at a higher rpm than the diesel. Jim
From AUTOWEEK: Fiat's takeover of Jeep parent Chrysler unlocked the cross-Atlantic sharing of platforms and technologies (see Dodge's Alfa Romeo Giulietta-based Dart), which benefits the 2014 Grand Cherokee in the form of a clean-burning, 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 cranking out 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Still available are the familiar 3.6-liter, 290-hp, 260-lb-ft Pentastar V6 and the 5.7-liter, 360-hp, 390-lb-ft V8.

Two things here; early diesel Grand Cherokee's used the M-B engine. This one is different. While the torque curve on the hemi comes in at at a higher RPM, it is not that objectionable, especially when you look at the HP numbers. Too, I can't see how a diesel will pencil out based on the price of fuel, initial cost and service costs.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
For general information. The 4X4 has a 7200 lbs tow capacity.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
I just tuned in. 17 MPG towing? Do you need to add urea or whatever it is to your diesel? Is it noisy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs61 View Post
What year is your Touareg? I am looking for a midsized SUV or wagon to tow and drive so I want something that gets ok gas mileage, but could tow a 21-23' trailer (still shopping, havent bought one yet).
First, I don't want to highjack this thread away from the Jeep. The Grand Cherokee diesel and the Touareg diesel are very very similar and my experience with the Touareg has been fantastic. I'm interjecting hoping to help future Grand Cherokee diesel owners.

My towing mileage has ranged from an occasional 14.5 in strong headwinds to an occasional 18.5 with strong tail winds. I get 26 commuting and 29 on the highway. I have a 2010 with the 6-speed transmission but I've heard the newer 8-speed is even more fuel efficient topping 30 mpg.

The urea tank needs to be filled about ever 8,000 to 10,000 miles and you get a 1,500 mile warning message so plenty of time to pick some up. I got a 2.5 gallon jug at NAPA for $13. Easy.

The diesel is so quiet nobody knows it's a diesel. Not one person knew it was diesel until I said something. I expect the Grand Cherokee diesel will be just as quiet.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I just called them direct and are they ever helpful! Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer
I think I will be ok now with towing a limited amount with my current Jeep Commander V8/factory tow package and then when it's time to replace my vehicle, it will be the Jeep diesel used with the dealer depreciation knocked off. I'm getting the weight distribution hitch too. Well, for now, it's a plan!
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Have a Jeep Commander HEMI as well, great tow vehicle.

I am waiting for the Jeep Wagoneer they've been threatening.
Hopefully it doesn't look like a KIA...

Hope the commander holds together a few more years
chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Except that they have a long history of selling both a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee. I can't say why they did it initially, but I think they may have been ashamed to call the smaller top-line model a Wagoneer (as they had done previously.)
Because the "Grand" was supposed to be the early 90's replacement for the standard Cherokee first released in '84. But the original was still selling quite well so it got a minor re-fresh in '96 and kept going until '01.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
They say the 4X4 will pull 7200lbs. Anyone else interested in this jeep diesel V6?
More than interested! I placed my order today for a 2014 4x4 Diesel Grand Cherokee Overland. It's 'Early Retirement' for my 08 Diesel GC Overland with 103,000 mi. that has towed the FC23FB so very capably.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has set up a new GC with the Select Terrain suspension system and a Equalizer WDH. I plan to use my Equalizer that has worked so well with the current GC.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Very interested as well. Right now it's too early for us (kids too young) to go for the SUV solution, but my next car will be either the Jeep, the Mercedes or the VW diesel.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
More than interested! I placed my order today for a 2014 4x4 Diesel Grand Cherokee Overland. It's 'Early Retirement' for my 08 Diesel GC Overland with 103,000 mi. that has towed the FC23FB so very capably.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has set up a new GC with the Select Terrain suspension system and a Equalizer WDH. I plan to use my Equalizer that has worked so well with the current GC.
In four to six weeks you will be a very happy person!

The Mrs. has already spec'd out hers but has won't order until she test drives.

Please let us know your impressions when you get yours.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I'm expecting delivery of my Grand Cherokee CRD in about two weeks. I'm trying to convince myself I'll be able to use it to tow my 2008 25' FB Classic, but the numbers just aren't working out:

Vehicle curb wt: 5393lbs
GVWR: 6800lbs
Payload (DSL specific): 1290lbs
Group IV trailer hitch
Max Tow: 7200lbs
Vehicle Wt Distribution: 53/47
Heavy Duty Engine Oil Cooling
Engine Oil Cooler
Transmission Coolant/Oil Heat Exchanger
HD Disk Brakes
3:45 Rear Axle Ratio
Electronic Anti-Sway Control
Quadra-Lift Air Suspension

Trailer Dry Weight: 5900lbs
Hitch Weight: 780lbs
Weight w/fluids: 6280 (placard says this, but I think it's heavier because Airstream installed a 54 gallon fresh water tank in the later 25' Classics as an afterthought)
Max. Gross Wt: 8000lbs

My current tow vehicle is a 2500HD Duramax, but it's getting tired and I'd really like to transition to the Jeep. Maybe if my wife and I go on diets, no cargo in the Jeep, and travel with the trailer empty
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post

The urea tank needs to be filled about ever 8,000 to 10,000 miles and you get a 1,500 mile warning message so plenty of time to pick some up. I got a 2.5 gallon jug at NAPA for $13. Easy.
You can also drive up to most truck stops and fill up DEF/Urea straight from the pump. It's about half the cost of buying from NAPA. Added 3 gallons the other day for about $9.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
Group IV trailer hitch

Weight w/fluids: 6280 (placard says this, but I think it's heavier because Airstream installed a 54 gallon fresh water tank in the later 25' Classics as an afterthought)
You should be fine. Also, there's no reason to travel with 54 gallons (400 lbs) of fresh water. Your payload is enough for you, wife, and hitch/trailer. A few other light things and that's it. Put the rest in the trailer.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I'm expecting delivery of my Grand Cherokee CRD in about two weeks. I'm trying to convince myself I'll be able to use it to tow my 2008 25' FB Classic, but the numbers just aren't working out:

Group IV trailer hitch
Vehicle Wt Distribution: 53/47
Heavy Duty Engine Oil Cooling
Engine Oil Cooler
Transmission Coolant/Oil Heat Exchanger
HD Disk Brakes
3:45 Rear Axle Ratio
Electronic Anti-Sway Control
Quadra-Lift Air Suspension

My current tow vehicle is a 2500HD Duramax, but it's getting tired and I'd really like to transition to the Jeep. Maybe if my wife and I go on diets, no cargo in the Jeep, and travel with the trailer empty
The concerns would be stability with short wheelbase, and payload when adding tongue weight I think.

I would start with a ProPride/Hensley hitch to ensure good weight distribution, excellent drivability, and put any sway concerns to rest.

I think the Jeep payload number includes a driver, one passenger, and fuel. Check it out. Load the trailer for travel and keep the front light, back carrying the load. Get 16" wheels/Michelin LT tires for reliability, leave the spare at home if traveling locally. Weigh the trailer tongue where it connects to the Jeep receiver, not at the tongue jack to know what the receiver is carrying. And remember some of that tongue weight is transferred to the trailer axles when a good weight distribution hitch is used.

You know all the reasons you can't use the Jeep, look for ways you can. It's a nice vehicle and it's what you have.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I agree with dkottum. Get a Hensley, or comparable, especially with the air suspension. Let's say the hitch weight loaded is 900lbs, 200 of that get transferred back to the trailer wheels by WD, leaves you with 700 for the car to carry.

This means that you, the passenger and fuel (and everything else you're putting inside the vehicle) should not weigh more than 600lbs. Sounds good to me. Don't carry generators or firewood in the car and you're good to go without overloading the tow vehicle.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Our new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel finally arrived, and my early impressions are completely positive. In comparison to our 08 GC Diesel (>30K very satisfactory miles towing our FC23FB with 10K Equalizer WDH), the new GC is much more capable, comfortable and refined. With greater power (420 vs 376 ft-lbs torque), 8 speed auto, 5" longer wheelbase and same short overhang, it should tow even better. SelectTerrain, Quadra-Lift - the list of improvements is lengthy. Sorry, I sound like a Jeep commercial, but I'm excited
Unfortunately, the Airstream is in storage, the snow is deep at home in Durango, and it will be a while before we get to hook up and see just how she tows.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Our new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel finally arrived, and my early impressions are completely positive. In comparison to our 08 GC Diesel (>30K very satisfactory miles towing our FC23FB with 10K Equalizer WDH), the new GC is much more capable, comfortable and refined. With greater power (420 vs 376 ft-lbs torque), 8 speed auto, 5" longer wheelbase and same short overhang, it should tow even better. SelectTerrain, Quadra-Lift - the list of improvements is lengthy. Sorry, I sound like a Jeep commercial, but I'm excited Unfortunately, the Airstream is in storage, the snow is deep at home in Durango, and it will be a while before we get to hook up and see just how she tows.
My Jeep is in having some engine seals ( rear main and turbo) replaced so the new one cannot get here quick enough. Have you figured out the ease or lack of ease for a brake controller installation? I am hoping that it is plug and play. Jim