Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Up Next, Electric!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ck/2602234002/

This is the first I’ve seen a major auto manufacturer talk about the electrification of an entire lineup, let alone something as popular as the f150.

We can stop arguing about gas and diesel, they will both be gone soon anyways!
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI an earlier thread [~500 posts] about Electric Tow Vehicles:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...le-169483.html
Search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...=airforums.com

Tesla Model X: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html

FYI and FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, GM has been talking about it and investing in a battery lab, production facilities, announced over 20 electric models by 2023, closed outdated ICE car plants, separated (predominately) old ICE/powertrain employees (I be one of those...separated/retired 3 weeks ago), is hiring EEs and code writers left and right, Has done extensive work on batteries and autonomous vehicles.......

Not sure where you are getting the "first to talk about it thing"??? Sure, maybe Ford is talking about a FSPU electrification, but I don't think it is smart to disclose your specific product development plans until very close to production. Tips off the competition as to what is going on with future produce and skunkworks development.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well, GM has been talking about it and investing in a battery lab, production facilities, announced over 20 electric models by 2023, closed outdated ICE car plants, separated (predominately) old ICE/powertrain employees (I be one of those...separated/retired 3 weeks ago), is hiring EEs and code writers left and right, Has done extensive work on batteries and autonomous vehicles.......

Not sure where you are getting the "first to talk about it thing"??? Sure, maybe Ford is talking about a FSPU electrification, but I don't think it is smart to disclose your specific product development plans until very close to production. Tips off the competition as to what is going on with future produce and skunkworks development.

Dear heavens.

I’ve seen some of the info regarding rivian and Tesla tow vehicles, however I missed anything about GM - my apologies.

I saw this article about the f150 and found it intriguing......so I posted it. I simply thought it was an interesting backdrop to all of the diesel vs gas fights we have. Nothing more, nothing less.

First to talk about it was me seeing a major manufacturer imply they were going to electrify a lineup of vehicles - to me meaning a majority if not all would be electric.

GM is way ahead of Ford, and Ford is rather unintelligent for saying anything about their plans.

Thanks for clearing things up.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
Dear heavens.

I’ve seen some of the info regarding rivian and Tesla tow vehicles, however I missed anything about GM - my apologies.

I saw this article about the f150 and found it intriguing......so I posted it. I simply thought it was an interesting backdrop to all of the diesel vs gas fights we have. Nothing more, nothing less.

First to talk about it was me seeing a major manufacturer imply they were going to electrify a lineup of vehicles - to me meaning a majority if not all would be electric.

GM is way ahead of Ford, and Ford is rather unintelligent for saying anything about their plans.

Thanks for clearing things up.

No worries. GM is playing it very close to the breast. Prior to my retirement, there was much direction, discussion, training and testing relative to the high cost of "loose lips". Revealing product plans, (not like I was privy to a lot of them) can cost a company hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars by tipping off the competition. Mary Barra has been especially good and strict about keeping the lid on things. I have my personal crystal ball relative to what is going on, but it just my experienced crystal ball.

Relative to trucks, There is (presently) a small market in exchange for a very high internal cost. Don't think there is a mass market....yet. I was a Fleet Account Exec-service (applied technology), so I am very well informed as to the fleet needs for such a truck.

Personally, and relative to this forum, I would not presently buy a BEV truck for my towing needs. My current truck is pretty much a dedicated towing vehicle, offset by a Chevy Volt for my local and regional home based travel. A BEV doesn't even work for that duty....yet, for me.

I also was a board member of the Chicago Area Clean Cities Coalition for many years, and now am a board member emeritus. That experience has given me a very broad view of all alternative fuels, all manufacturers and each of their benefits and drawbacks.

Electrification is well on its way, and I believe there is little to stop it...periodical political encouragement and discouragement has always been an alt fuel challenge relative to roll out and development....and mostly....infrastructure.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great recent comments, thanks Rich.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Not in my lifetime.
Ask Musk how Tesla is doing.
I do think it's the future, just not the present.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Not in my lifetime.
Ask Musk how Tesla is doing.
I do think it's the future, just not the present.
Most OEMs are working on, or producing, electric vehicles; Tesla is not representative of what’s going on in the industry. At the Detroit auto show I saw examples from Ford, GM, FCA, Toyota, and Hyundai/Kia to name a few. On my recent trip to Germany I saw a surprising number of BMW EVs as well as others on the road. It definitely is in the present as well as the future.

I’m looking forward to parking an EV SUV next to my diesel Ram in the garage.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most OEMs are working on, or producing, electric vehicles
Great.
I assume California is working on building more power plants???

Meanwhile, I'm dipping my toe in the pond by researching EV scooters. I think they'd be perfect for RVing. Much lighter than a motorbike, and with removable batteries, you won't be ripped off and recharging will be easier.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I take several 523 one way trips a year so far EV will not go that far.

I think it will be many years before enough charging stations or batteries the will allow full use of EV in the US different story in the EU
Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Quote:
This might be a really bad thing for mankind plus the environment. For the global elite left to get this kind of power and control over mankind or humanity. Those that buy the pitch of global collectivism don't comprehend who they are forfeiting & entrusting what to. I know non PC whacko bird here right? And we can't talk about it here. check.

The last 8 year admin here tried to destroy our coal industry (or move it to China etc) but fortunately was not successful. Not that I am against replacing it over time as other technologies and certainly not just electric are ready. Here in Ohio we still have plenty of (cleaned burn) coal fire plants along the river that boarders much of the state to keep the price of electric low. Still doesn't make trying to use a battery truck / car across the fly over states practical.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Great.
I assume California is working on building more power plants???

]
Hmmmm....not really sure what California is doing. The rest of us will add infrastructure as needed to supply electric power. The percentage of electric vehicles will take awhile to reach the point where it makes a dent. Anyway, more power plants would be a good thing. The electric infrastructure needs updating. Good time to own utility company stock.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Sebastopol , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Hmmmm....not really sure what California is doing. The rest of us will add infrastructure as needed to supply electric power. The percentage of electric vehicles will take awhile to reach the point where it makes a dent. Anyway, more power plants would be a good thing. The electric infrastructure needs updating. Good time to own utility company stock.
A quick online check has a few sources saying 0.02 pct. of California’s power is generated by coal. Most of the new “power” plants in state are solar and wind, and I think a couple of LNG. That said, the electrical delivery grid is the major issue here, with PG&E unable or unwilling to keep their equipment from burning us all down (Bigger issues than just “bad forest management”, it’s suburban sprawl into open space as well without proper planning). Not sure I want to own PGE right now

I am encouraged to see the big guys with major plans to move into EV. They probably have looked at Tesla beating most of them in the luxury sedan market with the S, moving in big to the mid market, talking about trucks and semis....and decided they need to keep up or get trampled.
Because they have the money and development infrastructure (they spent years on the Volt dev.), GM has been able to produce solid EVs already, the Volt and Bolt. I own a ‘17 Bolt and it is great! Good build/tech and fun to drive. It makes sense that Ford and FCA are following suit.
Glassman484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Ford and GM don’t make much from sedans, so I don’t think Tesla is their concern. Trucks and SUVs represent the bulk of their profits, so they have to protect those market segments. They also have to announce their intentions as part of public filings, as not being in this market would constitute a significant business risk. Not planning to compete would hit their stock value hard. They don’t have to disclose technical details.

Interesting that nobody remembers earlier electric pickups. Chev sold the S10 EV in 1997. Ford sold the Ranger EV from 1998 onwards. Range was limited, and these weren’t trucks for towing, but they were sold.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Here in Ohio we still have plenty of coal fired plants along the river that borders much of the state to keep the price of electric low.
Those old coal fired plants in Ohio and elsewhere are closing steadily, as they can’t compete economically. They produce much more expensive power than the new combined cycle natural gas plants coming on line. The good news is that the replacement plants shift the production balance away from coal, to cleaner alternatives. Not many new coal plants in the pipeline, if any.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post

Interesting that nobody remembers earlier electric pickups. Chev sold the S10 EV in 1997. Ford sold the Ranger EV from 1998 onwards. Range was limited, and these weren’t trucks for towing, but they were sold.
Lots of those are still around, and you can get lithium packs for them. Great little trucks. Lots of conversion kits around for the gas ones too. I had lead acid batteries in mine, talk about exceeding the payload 😎