Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
The UAW workers have been on strike for a long time. They are getting by on $250 a week. They will never make back the money they lost during the strike. I don’t know what the issues are but they are making a stand because of it.

I don’t see many UAW people on this forum asking questions about their 100k trailers or 70k tow vehicles. Why is it some of you think you are worth every penny you got but a union worker doesn’t deserve a raise?
I'll bite....because most people that don't like their job... have a choice......move on to another gig if you're not making the money that you need. Last time I checked, it was a free country and people have choices about who they choose to work for.

Federal protections make unions obsolete and drives the costs up for the end product. Now, they want XYZ.....and that's fine, but it shouldn't grind the entire country to a dead stop.....which it is.

We all have choices, theirs shouldn't affect mine.......but clearly.....it does.

I was in a union once, in my late teens working for a food chain......so it's not like am oblivious to their concerns, but we have been waiting for almost a month now to repair the exhaust system because the header has cracked and now leaking exhaust into the cabin.

And then to be told told to reconsider buying a new car because yeah....11 years old...ready for the crusher.......

The question was asked who was affected by the strike.....asked and answered, those that don't like the response of how and why it affects someone, maybe they should mind their own business.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
A 12 year old parked Saturn is hardly a country coming to a grinding halt.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
A 12 year old parked Saturn is hardly a country coming to a grinding halt.
That isn't what I said...we can't get parts for it because the GM part supply chain is ground to a halt......can't get parts, it's her daily driver.

Oh and to add, my 2016 Yukon needs parts also, can't get 'em.

I guess our opinion of what a grinding halt differs.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
That isn't what I said...we can't get parts for it because the GM part supply chain is ground to a halt......can't get parts, it's her daily driver.

Oh and to add, my 2016 Yukon needs parts also, can't get 'em.

I guess our opinion of what a grinding halt differs.
I have a feeling our opinions are probably different on more then that.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I have a feeling our opinions are probably different on more then that.
Mostly likely.....have a nice day.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
You too!
Old 10-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
Ok Kitten you were in a union in the 50’s when workin a job. I am also a union member.

I don’t know the issues facing the UAW but I bet the strike affects them more than you and your Exhaust. If I was a betting man I would guess the union contract got gutted during the bankruptcy process and the workers are looking for return on their investment and sacrifices they made during bankruptcy.

I have met UAW workers and I don’t think they are lazy or overpaid. If they are willing to strike and live on $250 a week I would think they have extremely good reason for it.

The argument that they can just quit and go somewhere else isn’t a well thought out position in my opinion. I’m happy that you were able to benefit from working under union protection and better yourself. It has worked out well for you. The striking workers will never make back the money they are out because of the strike. It’s an inconvenience to you but much more to them. The workers have given years of service to that company and should expect to make gains when the company is making money.

Why do you focus your anger at the workers and not the management?
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Ok Kitten you were in a union in the 50’s when workin a job. I am also a union member.

I don’t know the issues facing the UAW but I bet the strike affects them more than you and your Exhaust. If I was a betting man I would guess the union contract got gutted during the bankruptcy process and the workers are looking for return on their investment and sacrifices they made during bankruptcy.

I have met UAW workers and I don’t think they are lazy or overpaid. If they are willing to strike and live on $250 a week I would think they have extremely good reason for it.

The argument that they can just quit and go somewhere else isn’t a well thought out position in my opinion. I’m happy that you were able to benefit from working under union protection and better yourself. It has worked out well for you. The striking workers will never make back the money they are out because of the strike. It’s an inconvenience to you but much more to them. The workers have given years of service to that company and should expect to make gains when the company is making money.

Why do you focus your anger at the workers and not the management?
Incorrect, I was born in the 70's and truncating my username...grow up...

Yes, it affects them way more than me...totally agreed and understood.

We ALL make investments and sacrifices in life, be it work, family whatever......there are no guarantees on any of it....working in AT WILL companies forces you to think of things differently...like planning ahead and dealing with this type of fallout when a strike occurs and you have to plan ahead...there are NO protections in AT WILL....if they want you out, your gone, there is no union to protect from over zealous management.....that is what most of the workforce deals with everyday.

I said I worked for a union in my early teens.....for maybe a year....so I got to see how it works. Unions had their time and place, and as I mentioned, there are plenty of federal laws that combat what unions once provided for protecting workers against business that were less than admirable.

The question was asked and I added my answer.....that is all...move along.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
I’m only trying to point out that the issue may be bigger than the 12 year old car you have your wife driving. Have a nice day.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
I’m only trying to point out that the issue may be bigger than the 12 year old car you have your wife driving. Have a nice day.
Got it....enjoy.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
You might want to go and tell my wife that......you won't like the response.
Yeah, I had a wife like that once.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"Pay me for not working"
My son manages a company backed by investors.
An employee that makes $750.00/week PLUS commission came to him and said "I want a raise to.... or I'm going to quit; you have 2 days to reply". My son said just a minute, and I'll get your check. Employee said are you firing me; son said I 'm not, you just quit.
Hummm, sound familiar?

True story.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
For what it's worth; these cylinder deactivation systems and auto stop systems are crap, that gets the manufacturer to claim unobtanium mpg figures, but costs you money fixing it.

Our 2012 Honda Pilot had piston rings replaced in half the motor at 51,000 kms. I bought it used, for a great price and installed the VCMuzzler to defeat the VCM system. 100,000 kms later, no more problems.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

I'd have to agree. Displacement on demand is a good thing in theory, but in practice/application I've heard nothing but bad things long term and had one live encounter with one having issue (not my vehicle) when it started to go south. Given that few people hold their cars for more than 50-60k, 9x out of 10- most don't see the issue because they are onto their next car, but anytime over 50k miles is when the bulk of what I've seen and heard take appear. Not to say it can't happen sooner or later, or at all, but if I were buying a vehicle, I would avoid cylinder deactivation (where it goes from 8 to 4 running cylinders), not to be confused with auto start/stop.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
my 2015 had valve lifter failure at 57,000 km and again at 160,000 km. Traded it on a 2017 which had the same failure at 70,000 km. Same failure on two 1500 6.2 max tows. I love the truck but this is not a good situation. Called GM Customer Service and am still waiting for a competent person to "get back to me"! Purchased a A.F.M' de-activator from Range Technologies. Really don't want a 4 cylinder truck so it stays in 8 cylinder all the time now. I hope that this solves the problem. G.M. don't want to help out so I needed to take control of the situation. Will see if this helps in the long run.
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
"Pay me for not working"
My son manages a company backed by investors.
An employee that makes $750.00/week PLUS commission came to him and said "I want a raise to.... or I'm going to quit; you have 2 days to reply". My son said just a minute, and I'll get your check. Employee said are you firing me; son said I 'm not, you just quit.
Hummm, sound familiar?

True story.
Wow! Such a cool story. A guy gets fired because he asked for a raise. That’s awesome. Your son really showed him. Imagine making 750 a week and actually wanting more.
I hope there is more to this story to justify termination of employment. If not it’s truly pathetic.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Yes, we are affected, but not for the camping rig.....my wife's 2008 Saturn needs a new exhaust manifold......3rd one I might add.......( ) but that is another story.

Can't get the OEM part because the tool bag union workers feel they require more money.....so yes, it is affecting us. The amount of exhaust fumes are getting worse to the point soon we'll just have to park it until we can get the parts and have it repaired.

With all the federal laws these days, what is the point of a union these days..... I'll answer........ > nothing
Go to ebay and search 2008 saturn exhaust manifold. Take your pick.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Go to ebay and search 2008 saturn exhaust manifold. Take your pick.
Problem is, there is no 2 year warranty that I will get from dealer that we use. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Problem is, there is no 2 year warranty that I will get from dealer that we use. Thanks for the tip though.
Someone is going to warranty a part they put on a 2008 Saturn?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Someone is going to warranty a part they put on a 2008 Saturn?
Parts warranty installed by dealer is 12/12k, parts and labor.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Parts warranty installed by dealer is 12/12k, parts and labor.
I know, but... never mind lol