Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
TV rec for 25’ Safari or Flying Cloud

Hi

I’ve been researching tvs for a planned purchase of a used 25’ safari or flying cloud. GVWR ranges from 6300 to 7300 depending on the year. I’ve read through lots of threads and studied a bunch of vehicles but thought I’d throw this out to the group since the “best” choice can be really dependent on one’s situation.

I’ll try to give all the relevant facts about our situation. If there’s a factor I’m not considering please let me know.

$15k budget max. Preferably less.
Under 100,000 miles.
TV will double as wife’s daily driver. Drives about 8k to 10k miles per year.
We prefer not to drive a pick up.
In our 40s and divorced. Kids are teens we get weekends where it’s just us while kids are with their other parents.
Weekend warriors. Hoping for 8 trips per year for a few days each. Maybe one 5 day trip per year.
We are based in Chicago suburbs. Campsites are about 2 to 4 hours away over mostly flat terrain.
Once per year we may go to Virginia or Carolinas. Maybe a trip out West, so there could be some mountains once per year.
My preference for driving is a tv that handles well. I just hate vague steering, but this isn’t the highest priority.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I do not recommend any specific type of vehicle. But, I advise:
1. that you pay particular attention to the tow vehicle's payload capacity. With the tongue weight of the trailer added to the weight of passengers and other cargo even a 1/2 ton pickup can quickly get overloaded.
2. get a tow vehicle with at least a six speed (more is better) automatic transmission. The transmission will need an auxiliary cooler if the vehicle does not have a heavy tow package from the factory.
3. get a tow vehicle that has oversize brakes. Going downhill in the mountains can quickly overheat any brakes, especially if the tow vehicle is substantially lighter than the trailer so that the engine with the transmission in lower gear will not slow the vehicle adequately.

My opinion:
The larger/heavier the tow vehicle the better.
Don't want the tail to wag the dog.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
All great stuff. Very interesting that you mentioned the number of gears in the transmission. There are a lot of SUVs rated with high towing capacity with 4 gears. I think I would hate driving a four speed while *not* towing anyway.
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote