Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
TV for 25' AS

I am shopping for a TV for a future AS, most likely a 23 or 25FB. I find it hard to believe that a 25' AS could require a 3/4 Ton truck but my research is leaning me that way if you want a fully loaded high end TV. A review I found on a 2019 Ram 4x4 Limited stated that with all the upgrades on the truck the payload had been reduced to under 1200 pounds and that it was common to see on fully loaded 1/2 tons. If that is true and a 25' AS has an 800 plus pound tongue weight the truck would be maxed out after adding two adults. So if I want to haul kayaks, bikes, generator, firewood... I would be looking at a 3/4 ton which on the surface seems like overkill!! I figured if I ever went that large I would go diesel which really seems like overkill!

Appreciate your thoughts and experience with reduced payloads fully loaded 1/2 tons.

Thank You
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You'll discover that this forum has lots of opinions, and most are based on, "Do it my way".
I'd want a tow package, but most 1/2 ton trucks pull Airstreams with no problem.
If your TV is also your daily driver, like mine is, then parking in a normal space at the grocery store is important. I also don't want to use a stepladder to get in and out.
If your TV doesn't get used except for towing, go big, use the Porsche for the grocery store.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
You'll discover that this forum has lots of opinions, and most are based on, "Do it my way".
I'd want a tow package, but most 1/2 ton trucks pull Airstreams with no problem.
If your TV is also your daily driver, like mine is, then parking in a normal space at the grocery store is important. I also don't want to use a stepladder to get in and out.
If your TV doesn't get used except for towing, go big, use the Porsche for the grocery store.
I wish I could keep the Porsche for groceries but my condo only leaves me with room for one car... and that I have to squeeze into a condo garage, no mega cab for me=) I think a 1/2 ton would tow the 25' AS with ease, but it's shocking how quickly you can be over on the axle rating of the TV.
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You’ll find lots of people tow 25’ Airstrems behind 1/2 ton trucks with the right weight distribution hitch. I have a F150 and it does just fine though you do, as you say, have to be careful about the options you choose and their negative impact on payload. I wouldn’t want a 3/4 ton because I use that truck as a daily commute vehicle in the city.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDude View Post
I am shopping for a TV for a future AS, most likely a 23 or 25FB. I find it hard to believe that a 25' AS could require a 3/4 Ton truck but my research is leaning me that way if you want a fully loaded high end TV. A review I found on a 2019 Ram 4x4 Limited stated that with all the upgrades on the truck the payload had been reduced to under 1200 pounds and that it was common to see on fully loaded 1/2 tons. If that is true and a 25' AS has an 800 plus pound tongue weight the truck would be maxed out after adding two adults. So if I want to haul kayaks, bikes, generator, firewood... I would be looking at a 3/4 ton which on the surface seems like overkill!! I figured if I ever went that large I would go diesel which really seems like overkill!

Appreciate your thoughts and experience with reduced payloads fully loaded 1/2 tons.

Thank You
Make sure that your look at the door sticker that states the cargo capacity for the actual truck that you wish to buy.

Don't count on weights that appear in brochures or on manufacturers web site. They can be wildly different than the actual capacity.

Also, my 2016 RAM 2500 has a reduced size spare wheel and tire. This weight saving move by RAM means that you might want to carry a full size spare and wheel if you venture into the wilds with your Airstream. I wouldn't have ordered my RAM if I'd know this ahead of time.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have had a few Tundras over the last 13 years and have towed over 200K miles with no issues.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
RAM payloads seem to be lighter than other makes. I see and know many people who pull Airstreams with well equipped 1/2 tons. Most recently the Ford Ecoboosts can be had with larger payloads (but less well equipped). A friend traded his 250 diesel for a Platium 150 and loves it with his 30 footer. Try to look at the axle ratings instead of just the payload. I think payload does include a light weight driver and a full fuel tank. You have to make your decisions but to me going over payload on a 1/2 ton would not be a huge issue. It is only while you are towing, you control the speed, and then you unhitch and things are fine again. (Except for RAM, that is reported to have a sensor for overload and might void the warranty)

I have pulled my 25 with a 2500 diesel for the last 12 years. The harsh ride when empty has been the main negative. And the differential fuel cost right now is an irritation.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Not sure about the 2019's, but I know you can easily get a 2018 GM with the 6.2 and MaxTow with around 2000lb payload.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #9

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Sarasota , Florida
I tow my 23FB with a Mercedes 450 GLS. A very nice, comfortable and stable tow. At 70 MPH I get 12.5 MPG. Once at the camp ground it accommodates up to 7 passengers.
HuntersHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunkirk , Maryland
23" FB Tow Vehicle

Quote:

Thank You
We have a 23'FB that we tow with a 2018 GMC Canyon & a good weight distribution hitch. The trailer tows fine with it and sometime we forget we have it behind us. It all depends on where you want to go and how much to haul. We try to take minimal amount of stuff.
dchysan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
As discussed there are many, many opinions on TV's. I have a 25' AS, FC and tow it with a 2013 F-150 FX4 with heavy duty tow package and an equalizer weight/distribution system installed by the dealer. I pulled it cross country from FL twice for over 20,000 miles. It pulls like a dream and have yet to have any problems while pulling over mountain ranges and in windy conditions on the great plains. The truck has 85,000 miles on it and I plan on replacing it this year with an F-150 diesel. As far as payload goes mine is minimal as I don't carry a generator or other heavy items. We do carry bikes on an AS installed rack on the trailer.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I would take a look at the F150 with ecoboost and run some numbers with say, a 25' Flying Cloud. I wanted to go to one car/truck and was looking at the Ecoboost. It could easily tow my 27'classic but payload went down to just about nothing. I'm pretty sure there are some threads available where someone has done the math already.
Good Luck,
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
On the Ford F-150 with the total tow package. And that’s important. Don’t just look at the word Ford nor F-150. You need to see how the truck is built. You need the ECOBOOST with the 3.5 and you need the to order the 3.73 rear end. By purchasing the Ford with the aluminum body. That will shed 500 pounds upping your payload. Also unless you absolutely need a 4x4 get a two wheel drive with the locking rear end. That will shed another 400 lbs upping you payload on your truck. I have a 25 foot FB AS with about 1100 pounds TW. I have no problems towing. Make sure you get a good hitch system with a load leveler. I have the best Reese hitch. Can cruse across TX at 75 mph no problem. Don’t listen to a dealer that sells trucks. They like to try to sell you what they have on the lot. They don’t understand math. If you need help get in touch with me. My website safetyinstitute.com and find me on the second page of associates. Look at my one sheet on towing.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We tow an international 25 with a F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost 3.5 - Max Tow Package 11,100lb, Payload 1550lb - love my truck! tows like a dream carries the boss and I and all our stuff - no worries.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm happily towing my 25' with a Dodge Durango Hemi with a tow package.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Last summer at an AS Rally in Bend, OR, I met a couple who full-time in their AS 34 Ltd, winters in Palm Springs and summers in Bend. They pull their 34 with a Ford F150 Eco 3.5. I was shocked and asked them about it, to which they replied that the F150 pulled their 34 "Just fine --- without any problems." I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it, but they seemed happy with it.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #17
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Let's get ready to RRUUMMBBLLEE!!!!

Love these TV threads.

I got my pop corn out.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #18

fredericksburg , Virginia
Quote:

Thank You

Don't overlook the Toyota Tundra. Been pulling my 26 foot Rockwood at 6500 pounds with Centerline TS WD hitch. Centerline has built in sway. Love the combination.
jaydea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
Cowboy

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Norfolk , Virginia
I tow in remote areas to fly fish on private ranches and BLM land-I wanted the load capacity to stay out 2-3 weeks, generator, bike and anything I may need along the way. Purchased a 2017 FC 25 FB twin, two a/c pkg and factory solar. For my TV I went overkill with the F350, 6.7 matched to a ProPride hitch. This is great for it's intended use, not a daily driver, much to stiff + 8' bed makes simple parking a challenge. Towing, you couldn't ask for a better arrangement, you can't even feel the Airstream towing at 65MPH. Could have probably gotten by with my Ecoboost F150-but to have an offload capability of the 4 wheel drive F350 , exhaust brake, towing capacity of a 1 ton I'm pleased and wouldn't change. Good luck , regardless F150 or F250 you'll be pleased-
LoneStar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Tow Vehicle Advice

Agree with casual 6. There are many threads in this forum on TV’s. You are on a journey that will get you to some of the most picturesque parks in our country! Get this upfront work done and the rest of the journey will be more enjoyable! Most important part of your research is reading these comments, watching TFL, Big Truck, Big RV YouTube videos. Not sure if you have looked at decision on 23’ vs 25’? That is the first decision, then the TV. Many people start small and then move up in size based on actual usage of the AS. I have personally asked many campers around the country why they like their TV, whether it be Ford, Chevy, Ram, Tundra and Titan, including 3/4 tons gas and diesels. ALL claim their vehicle is perfect, including one Tundra owner with a topper, bed packed with camping gear, five people in the cab and a 25’ trailer. The payload was obviously exceeded and the owner was very happy with his TV! As others have said, the dealers do not understand payload and always want to talk about Tow Weights, including GM sales person at last weekends Auto Show in Jacksonville, FL. My experience - Tundra’s are light on payload, but exceed F150’s Gross Rear Axle Weight rating with extremely loyal owners who keep them for 200,000 miles plus even without Apple CarPlay. Tundra’s prices are less than similarly equipped Big 3 1/2 tons. Car show had a 1794 model at $52K MSRP! Tow packages and payload packages are available if you order your vehicle. My preference is for OEM tow mirrors and every 1/2 ton vehicle with an OEM tow mirror ordered theirs. Finally, WD’s are shown on the YouTube channels to improve reared squat by less than one inch. Don’t forget to consider your tires. We had a bulge in the sidewall on our P rated Michelins. Upgraded to the E rated, 10 ply Michelins and no more bulge. These E rated tires are probably standard on 3/4 ton TV’s, not on 1/2 tons. Perhaps you could build an Excel spreadsheet and include all the items you are considering: front and rear axles max weight, payload, max tow weight, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, Rear End ratio, Tow Mirrors and P or E rated tires, engine HP & Torque.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote