Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
TV for 20 Flying Cloud

I'm looking at a 2011 20 Flying Cloud,my TV is a Honda Ridgeline and I don't think its up to the task. The flying cloud is 4,700lbs empty and the Ridgeline can only handle 5k. We go to the mountains a lot and would not attempt in this truck.We have owned 5 motor homes but this would be our 1st towable. So any help in TV would be great as this will also be my daily driver and gas mileage is a concern.We are not going any bigger than the 20 as we are in downsize mode.

Regards

Dennis
passing thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Hill , Florida
Dennis ----

I don't know where you got the 4700# on that trailer. The A/S site shows right around 4000 for the last 3 yr. You'd still be 'pushing' the 5k on your truck tho' if you consider pulling 80% of its rating ---- which is a good 'rule of thumb' for towing. Be better if you had a TV rated at about 6k. You can find stuff like that if you access Tow Ratings on the Web. Just pick the Brand you want to go with, and go down the list 'till you find something with a little more 'pad' in capacity.
zekethebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Don't be too quick to get rid of the Ridgeline. There are some members here towing Airstreams with them. Since you already own the Ridgeline, you might give it a try. You are going to need a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system and trailer brake controller. You can start researching these components right here on the Forums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
sorry,the weight for 2011 20 is 4,211lbs. not much truck left for those 7-9% grades we encounter.

Regards
Dennis
passing thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
ridgeline

I tow my 1967 globetrotter which I estimate is weighing in around 3500lbs. It does great on the the flats and around town, we have gone on a dozen trips, anywhere from 3-5 hours one way, and I have never felt like it wasn't up to the task. I recently bought a lincoln navigator to pull the trailer and seat the family more comfortably. I cant feel the trailer at all with the navigator.

I would give your ridgeline a shot, but watch it closely. Your gas mileage will drop significantly btw.

That being said, I would buy another ridgeline for my daily work truck in a heartbeat.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have towed our 22' SS up 10% grades above 7000' with no problem with the Ridge, though our unit weighs around 4200# fully loaded with 430# on the ball. Honda does not recommend a WD hitch and we don't use one, again with no problems in the three years we've used her. Here we are at 7800' in New Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP1441a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	118303  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote