RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Huntsville , Alabama
TV bed slide question

For those of you with bed slides, did you get the rails or the storage boxes that attach to them? I知 wondering if I need to order l any accessories for my bed slide. Or are there any bed slide organization ideas out there
McDonald256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ours has rails.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Mine is sitting at the local terminal because of weather.

Waiting over a week for it.

I am going with a Diamond Back HD (already here but waiting on the BedSlide) and using a 9" deep wall to wall bin on the front it that the rail on the BS should slide under.

Had ordered the 13" deep one and realized it might not clear the rails on the 2021 GMC 2500 HD. So I changed it for the 9.

Decided to wait on the rest of the storage for the BS until I assembled it to check out spacing.

I am currently planning on manufacturing a 'roll over' grid/mesh cover that will lock in place for my generators to hang out the back of the truck and still be secure. I need to install things and check out measurements before doing this though.

Because of this I was reluctant to run with the back bins or upper trays on the BS. Stuff will rattle out of those pretty easy and the wheel well to wall areas in the back are still pretty easy to get to anyways...

I did get a bunch of extra tie down eyes for the BS figuring I would probably want them.

After playing with it a bit I will decide if I want to build in storage boxes on it for small items. As well as stuff to access any spare room in front of the wells if there is space worth reclaiming.

Most of the BS extra storage units I felt were lacking in the cost/benefit department for me. For you may be different.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Mine came with rails; I opted out of any other attachments. However, I do have a big storage chest on the bed for misc small things like spare parts, air compressor, torque wrench, and so on. I also have some plastic milk crates for things like my levelers, water filter, charcoal. I like being able to move that stuff around depending on where I plan to take a trip.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We do not have rails or store-bought boxes on ours. Rather, my talented hubby built storage cubbies out of 1/2 inch plywood, and used pegboard on one side that can be accessed from side window of our topper for hose storage. After using it for 2 summers, we will be tweaking it this spring (when that comes) to make some things more accessible. We got the idea from seeing what others in our local Airstream Club had done.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I went with rails. I believe that they give you more flexibility than having boxes. I have been very pleased with having a slide - makes it a lot easier to get "things" in and to get "things" out.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have an aluminum SlideMaster. It came without a deck. I made the deck of ス inch plywood and installed recessed D-rings to tie to. It has a 1-1/2 inch high aluminum rim around it—the slide frame. I build boxes to store a camp stove, grill, and chairs. These attach to the D-rings with turn-buckles. I also use Rubber Maid tubs that tie down to the D-rings.

I didn’t put the D-rings in all the right places when I made it but it’s easy enough to add more.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Because of this I was reluctant to run with the back bins or upper trays on the BS. Stuff will rattle out of those pretty easy and the wheel well to wall areas in the back are still pretty easy to get to anyways....

This is my concern. That nothing will stay in them and they aren稚 really useable space.
McDonald256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I've had 2 "bed slides" and loved them both. First one was purchased in 2006 with no side and my current slide, purchased in 2017, has the sides and the sliding eye hooks for tie downs. I store a majority of my camping stuff inside tow very large black tubs (they have hinged lids). Many thing that I need to grab often and quickly, are stacked/placed close to the tailgate. I've taken the tubs and attached small stainless steel cleats to the back, which allows me to stack items on top of the tubs and use bungee cords to hold them in place. The other end of the bungee cord hooks into the lock opening.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:00 AM   #10

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
I would love to see pictures of some of these solutions!

Nothing gets the grey matter chugging like good old snaps.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg & Cambridge , Mississippi / New York
I went with the "Pickup Pack" from Highway Products. Click on my "images" for photos. I went with the two 8' side boxes, bed cover, bed roller, and headache/ladder/boat rack.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #12

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I went with the "Pickup Pack" from Highway Products. Click on my "images" for photos. I went with the two 8' side boxes, bed cover, bed roller, and headache/ladder/boat rack.
Just...WOW!

Putting mine in today. I'll try to post some pics, but the above is proving they will be horribly inadequate!

P.S. My BS with the no-drill GM adapters was missing one bolt and nut. Do you know how tough it is to find 7/16 stuff out there? Fortunately TSC had some grade 5's...