Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
The only thing I'd change with my truck is to go with an 8 foot bed. Well, I think I'd also put a high rise cap rather than a cab high on it.

I seek out parking spots where takin' up extra space doesn't cause karen's and kevin's to get their panties in a twist.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:21 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
We got our 2022 F150 last January. Went from a Subaru Crosstrek to a Supercrew with a 6.5 foot bed. I park as far out as I can and usually try to back in. Sometimes I have no choice but to take up a couple of spaces. We went with the 6.5 bed because we could not get the heavy duty payload package with the short bed. It doesn’t fit in the garage and on frosty mornings when I have to scrape every window, I long for my old car. But the Subaru couldn’t pull a trailer.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
I’m in a similar situation, looking to replace our old 2001 F250 crew cab long bed (200k miles) with something new or near-new. The 8’ bed works well for transporting our bikes (Pipeline Rack brand holder) and misc. gear. The existing truck is 246” long but isn’t a daily driver so no real concerns with parking — I favor parking spots further out anyway and it gets parked in a pole barn for winter storage. Any of the newer trucks with 8’ bed are up to another 1.5 feet longer, so I’m going to look carefully at whether or not the existing bikes / rack system will squeeze in the shorter beds. We can pack around them and get the rest of our stuff to camp. An even longer wheelbase will make the required ‘jack-knife’ turns into some tight campsites that much harder. I suspect the 8’ bed is what we will end up with.

But… most of the available inventory in our local area is Diesel + Short Bed + Black Interior, so there’s great choices provided that’s what you want. Yes… first-world problems. [emoji41]
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:21 AM   #64
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
I’m in a similar situation, looking to replace our old 2001 F250 crew cab long bed (200k miles) with something new or near-new. The 8’ bed works well for transporting our bikes (Pipeline Rack brand holder) and misc. gear. The existing truck is 246” long but isn’t a daily driver so no real concerns with parking — I favor parking spots further out anyway and it gets parked in a pole barn for winter storage. Any of the newer trucks with 8’ bed are up to another 1.5 feet longer, so I’m going to look carefully at whether or not the existing bikes / rack system will squeeze in the shorter beds. We can pack around them and get the rest of our stuff to camp. An even longer wheelbase will make the required ‘jack-knife’ turns into some tight campsites that much harder. I suspect the 8’ bed is what we will end up with.

But… most of the available inventory in our local area is Diesel + Short Bed + Black Interior, so there’s great choices provided that’s what you want. Yes… first-world problems. [emoji41]
Hi

Unless something just broke on the old truck, keep it a bit longer and order in the exact truck you want. Every time I've looked at "near new" used trucks versus a hungry dealer's order in price, the savings has been mighty small.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:55 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlydell View Post
- When not towing, the Ram is the 2nd vehicle in an urban environment. I struggle enough to make tight turns, and don't need another foot and a half of length to contend with. I can't navigate the small traffic circles in my neighborhood without a 3-point turn as it is.
- When parking the trailer, I have a relatively narrow lane to navigate, and it takes a few extra turns to keep my truck's nose off the neighbors fence. Longer wouldn't make that better.
Clearly you haven't been to the hot-rod school of driving. No three-point turns; just get the rear wheels a-spinning and drift around the traffic circles! Use that torque! :-)

But yes; where you live, park and camp will make a big difference. I admit that going from my SB150 to the SB250, about 1 1/2 ft longer, made a noticeable difference in my ability to maneuver in the lot where I store the camper. As for parking, I always park out at the end where no one is, even in my Miata.

I love the way the 8' bed looks on the truck and would love the room, but not living in the DC suburbs. Someone above from AK mentioned they could fit in parking garages with the SB, but my 250 is too tall to fit in garages here in MD.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Clearly you haven't been to the hot-rod school of driving. No three-point turns; just get the rear wheels a-spinning and drift around the traffic circles! Use that torque! :-)

But yes; where you live, park and camp will make a big difference. I admit that going from my SB150 to the SB250, about 1 1/2 ft longer, made a noticeable difference in my ability to maneuver in the lot where I store the camper. As for parking, I always park out at the end where no one is, even in my Miata.

I love the way the 8' bed looks on the truck and would love the room, but not living in the DC suburbs. Someone above from AK mentioned they could fit in parking garages with the SB, but my 250 is too tall to fit in garages here in MD.
My F250 is too tall for most garages also. The 6.5" bed is plenty to manage in most parking lots or when towing with the 28' AS. I love the truck for towing the AS, but it's a pain sometimes negotiating parking. Also, if I had to do over, I would get the F350 for increased payload so I could add a bed slide out and bed cap to haul more stuff!

But, overall experience while towing the 28' has been very positive; always feel in control, no wind/semi wind issues, no lack of power nor white knuckle control/braking concerns with the engine brake engaged. Can be expensive with the diesel with recent fuel costs hitting over $6/gal in some states this past year. Oil changes average $110 typically.

But for towing the 28' AS, the F250 6.7L short bed, now with 150K miles, was a great choice for us.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
My F250 is too tall for most garages also. The 6.5" bed is plenty to manage in most parking lots or when towing with the 28' AS. I love the truck for towing the AS, but it's a pain sometimes negotiating parking. Also, if I had to do over, I would get the F350 for increased payload so I could add a bed slide out and bed cap to haul more stuff!

But, overall experience while towing the 28' has been very positive; always feel in control, no wind/semi wind issues, no lack of power nor white knuckle control/braking concerns with the engine brake engaged. Can be expensive with the diesel with recent fuel costs hitting over $6/gal in some states this past year. Oil changes average $110 typically.

But for towing the 28' AS, the F250 6.7L short bed, now with 150K miles, was a great choice for us.
Hi

I would be *very* careful about *any* truck and parking garages. Even back in the days of driving a 150 / 1500 issues would pop up with this or that example. Clearance is a biggie. Getting in and out of spaces can be a challenge. Simply making it in and out may present issues. If you go with a big enough SUV and maybe put a rack on it .... same issues.

Yes, if it's a big enough city, garages are something you deal with. The beater "around town" car has been our typical answer for big city living.

Bob
Old 02-01-2023, 07:01 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrms View Post
And the turning radius is about the same as a freight train!
I have 2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax crew cab with short bed (6.5'). Turning radius is difficult. I love the truck but it is difficult in tight spaces. While there are times I would benefit from the longer bed, I'm glad I have the truck I have.
Hope this helps.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Have been working on the civil side of engineering for a LOOOONG time. Parking spot sizes have actually gotten incrementally bigger on the design standard side over the last four or more decades. These trucks are absolutely gargantuan now.
I have not found parking spaces to be getting larger. We lived in CA before moving back to FL. We noticed the smaller space allocated in parking lots. Seemed to be made for smaller cars. I was pleased to see the parking spaces in FL are much larger than CA.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:52 PM   #70
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Here in Texas, where everything is bigger, I've seen several parking lots that have had their stripes repainted to make the spaces smaller. I'm not sure, but I think it may have been done to make room for the larger handicap parking spots. I have been a keen observer for a LOOOOng time.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:22 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
The sidewalk superintendents. Best part of the business…

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
Here in Texas, where everything is bigger, I've seen several parking lots that have had their stripes repainted to make the spaces smaller. I'm not sure, but I think it may have been done to make room for the larger handicap parking spots. I have been a keen observer for a LOOOOng time.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The only parking spaces that have gotten larger are the handicapped spots and the spots where the grocery store workers bring the order out to the person waiting in the vehicle.
I always park out way beyond everyone else because of the collateral damage my vehicles have suffered due to the idiots who cannot control their car doors or grocery cart.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:41 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I would be *very* careful about *any* truck and parking garages. Even back in the days of driving a 150 / 1500 issues would pop up with this or that example. Clearance is a biggie. Getting in and out of spaces can be a challenge. Simply making it in and out may present issues. If you go with a big enough SUV and maybe put a rack on it .... same issues.

Yes, if it's a big enough city, garages are something you deal with. The beater "around town" car has been our typical answer for big city living.

Bob

Larger "trucks" in standard shoping parking lots are not always able to avoid "other" people's mistakes with a longer bed. This happened to me couple years back...cost $1800 to get a new bumper. No note from who ever backed into my bumper, obviously with a "hitch" in his receiver...I went back for a week trying to find who did this, but ended up getting it fixed myself vs the Insurance folks...I carry $2K deductible and did not want insurance going up. Mind you, I have a 6.5' bed on the F250; would not want the longer bed to drive/park in the city nor towing. But, I understand some folks need/want the extra length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper 5 ft distance.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	427688  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Someone above from AK mentioned they could fit in parking garages with the SB, but my 250 is too tall to fit in garages here in MD.

Yes, height is always the limiting factor for us. We check garages on Google street view before heading into new downtowns and find garages we’ll clear. Length is not an issue though since we can fit in a standard parking space and not block the aisle (using our backup camera to park within an inch or two of the wall). A long bed just doesn’t work in most parking garages since there is no back-of-the-lot to head to (some do have a roof though) and it’s length doesn’t fit in any standard parking space. You can’t just hang out into the aisle of most parking garages without causing major issues for people and possibly getting a ticket. I would doubt a long bed could make the turn to back into a spot in most garages either, even if hanging out into the aisle once in the spot wasn’t an issue.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:24 AM   #75
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Larger "trucks" in standard shoping parking lots are not always able to avoid "other" people's mistakes with a longer bed. This happened to me couple years back...cost $1800 to get a new bumper. No note from who ever backed into my bumper, obviously with a "hitch" in his receiver...I went back for a week trying to find who did this, but ended up getting it fixed myself vs the Insurance folks...I carry $2K deductible and did not want insurance going up. Mind you, I have a 6.5' bed on the F250; would not want the longer bed to drive/park in the city nor towing. But, I understand some folks need/want the extra length.
Hi

You can spend hours and hours on YouTube watching stupid things happening with just about any vehicle you can think of. In a few cases you you might blame the vehicle. Pretty much all the time, the drive is the one I'd point the finger at ....

Bob
Old 02-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
TV: 8' truck bed, or shorter?

Parking Garage cameras can be your friend, choose one where you park. Another option for your vehicle is a dash Cam.

Limited-time deal: Dash-Cam-Front-and-Rear-Inside, 1080P Dashcam for Cars,170°Wide Angle Dashboard Cameras, Super Night Vision, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Motion Detection, 24 Hours Parking Monitor with 32GB Card… https://a.co/d/fVeGXwT
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Parking Garage cameras can be your friend, choose one where you park. Another option for your vehicle is a dash Cam.

Limited-time deal: Dash-Cam-Front-and-Rear-Inside, 1080P Dashcam for Cars,170°Wide Angle Dashboard Cameras, Super Night Vision, G-Sensor, Loop Recording, Motion Detection, 24 Hours Parking Monitor with 32GB Card… https://a.co/d/fVeGXwT
There was a public view camera at the building I was parked in front of...but of course, owners said it was not working so I could not see who backed into my bumper. Not getting a "24 Hour Monitor"...do you have one of those?? Bet they are pretty expensive?

Now I am now much more observant of those around me and where I park the F250. Last summer my wife almost hit her shin or perhaps worse, on a WDH hitch sticking out of a "long bed" truck in CO, as we turned the corner coming out of a restaurant in Pagosa Springs. If it were dark, that would have caused a nasty bruse or worse.. I always take my Blue Ox out, every time I drop the AS so "no one" has a nasty accident caused by my hitch...other folks I have seen, sometimes don't care about "other people", and do leave their hitch in without any flags or notice. Leaving your hitch in can cause a lot of damage to people and/or vehicles if not real careful.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:05 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A

Quote:
There was a public view camera at the building I was parked in front of...but of course, owners said it was not working so I could not see who backed into my bumper. Not getting a "24 Hour Monitor"...do you have one of those?? Bet they are pretty expensive?

Now I am now much more observant of those around me and where I park the F250. Last summer my wife almost hit her shin or perhaps worse, on a WDH hitch sticking out of a "long bed" truck in CO, as we turned the corner coming out of a restaurant in Pagosa Springs. If it were dark, that would have caused a nasty bruse or worse.. I always take my Blue Ox out, every time I drop the AS so "no one" has a nasty accident caused by my hitch...other folks I have seen, sometimes don't care about "other people", and do leave their hitch in without any flags or notice. Leaving your hitch in can cause a lot of damage to people and/or vehicles if not real careful.

Not suggesting you should buy a security camera, it’s an option, $50.00 too much?
Follow the link in my earlier post on Amazon.

‘ I was parked in front of...but of course, owners said it was not working so I could not see who backed into my bumper. Not getting a "24 Hour Monitor"...do you have one of those?? Bet they are pretty expensive? ‘

Helpful if a police report is filled, with that in hand then ask for camera footage. I have done this and reviewed footage myself, businesses are cooperative. Very well some cameras break, I am talking generally, not questioning validity of your experience.
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Wow! Never heard that one...but I have seen how some folks don't seem to care if they take up 2 spots when parking; that's not me nor most folks I know. I do know that can make folks angry....key to the side, broken antenna, nasty note on the windshield for taking up 2 spots. Not for me...I will go out of my way to move further away rather than cause an issue.
I don’t mind someone taking up two…or even More spaces…. as long as they do it some distance out from the front-door of the building.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

When our truck was a lot newer, I’d park far from the store, take up 4 spaces, and put our orange cones around it. No issues. I doubt that would be the case up close. (Yes, we actually put out two cones at the corners when we’re parked at Cracker Barrel RV slots on the road with the Airstream. Keeps SWMBO happy.

I still am required by SWMBO to park in spaces of her choice in parking structures, etc. Leads to interesting interactions with the Disneyland parking staff members at times. Their slots are a bit tight for a crew cab Tacoma. Last trip there were at least three other long pickups sticking out 3-5 feet into the aisle. That’s a bit irritating and extraordinarily irresponsible on their part.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote