Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Tundra Accidents?

I've consistently seen arguments against using the new Tundra as a tow vehicle because of its payload and tow capacity, and I understand the argument. My question is: has anyone actually seen or been involved in an accident involving one of these trucks that was attributable to them being overloaded?
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have seen a few (2) on 2 different accasions sitting on the side of 271 south bound in the middle of a hill (not a steep grade) but maybe 3 miles long. With there hoods up. Guys standing infront of hood walking around on there cell phones?? No accidents but they were both pulling small garden trailers/ 16ft flatbeds one had brick on his. Not what I would consider heavy though.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have also sean frame flex demonstrations for all trucks. That was intresting, and either a real selling point or detering point which ever you are looking at.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmst25 View Post
...has anyone actually seen or been involved in an accident involving one of these trucks that was attributable to them being overloaded?
would this info somehow affect your buying decision?

we've got some professional lawmen here, maybe they have the info u seek.

while accidents happen regularly, assigning cause can be tricky.

when etoh, drugs, speed or grossly defective equipment are involved it is easier to point toward these things...

but inattentiveness, driver distractions, mild physical limitations (vision/hearing)...

AND overloading are harder to prove as the PRIMARY accident causes.

even with many of these issues detailed, there will be "YES BUT" counters to the reports.

simply being OVER loaded may not be an issue at noon on a dry, windless, empty flat road at slower speeds.

but the same load at night, in the rain, with traffic or unexpected events, suddenely becomes HEAVIER and an issue.

one approach is JUST by the 'yota and try it, then if you feel uneasy or over matched by the trailer take it back.

based on this note, an anecdotal approach seems counter to your thinking here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmst25 View Post
... I haven't yet made a purchase, but I've found that a lot of people are basing their decisions on personal experience, rather than published data (which is understandable). I've decided to research my decision, rather than use a lot of anecdotal reports of "the right way" to do it.
with 3 small children, it would seem you'll being carry LOTS of stuff and some of it vary valuable.

enthusiast of many vehicle types love to push the limits and report their 'successes' and seldom do these folks report...

"OK i screwed up badly this time"...

rating are NOT absolute breaking points, and we all wonder how they are developed. make your selection wisely.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
het airish I saw that post someware else.. How did you save that?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
het airish I saw that post someware else.. How did you save that?
It was from this thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post605660
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am still learning but finding out fast these towing questions can be redundent. I need to stay away from them. It seems simple from what I can see over time up to 25 ft is ok for Half ton.. Pick one. 27 28 29 you are in no mans land. and over 30 ft go 3/4 ton. pretty simple.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I am still learning but finding out fast these towing questions can be redundent. I need to stay away from them. It seems simple from what I can see over time up to 25 ft is ok for Half ton.. Pick one. 27 28 29 you are in no mans land. and over 30 ft go 3/4 ton. pretty simple.
I think you've hit the limit with 25' due to payload capacity not towing capacity. A 25' trailer has around a 750 pound hitch weight. Subtract that from around 1500-1600 total payload capacity and that leaves you with 750 pounds or so for people, fuel in the truck and whatever you plan on putting in the bed of the truck.

Let's say you put a topper on, add another 150 to 190 pounds. Let's say you like kayaking and want to put a couple of those on top of your truck. How much do they weigh?

You get the picture.

You have to look at the TOTAL package and what you really plan on using your trailer for. Short weekend trips around the corner. Or do you plan on making some long distance, take all the goodies type of trip?

Granted we ended up buying a used 34' trailer and the 3/4 ton was a no brainer. However, we were originally looking at a smaller newer trailer initially and it was quite evident that the 3/4 ton was still the right option.

We're on one of those take all the goodies type trip and I haven't come close to exceeding any of my TV's capabilities.

(I weighed the rig on this trip and here's my numbers: Front axle weighed 5240 lbs and has 6000 pound rating, rear axle 5200 lbs with a 6200 pound rating and the trailer weighed 7540 pounds with a 9800 pound rating (remember the hitch weight is included with the truck axles)

I have never towed anything before this combo, but subsequent to our purchase I've read some horror stories about white knuckle this, steep downhill scares etc.

I just descended the Big Horns and didn't have any of these sensations. Plus having the haha connected to the trailer doesn't hurt either.

3/4 ton truck equals big a%$ transmission, big big brakes etc.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
There is alot that goes into towing safely
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We recently took a long trip (11K+ miles) with our 23' and 1/2 ton GMC pickup. While on the trip we had an oportunity to run it accross some scales in Canada and got these numbers: Front axle, 3330 lbs. Rear axle, 3570 lbs., and trailer axles, 4475 lbs.

These numbers were loaded with everything for a six week trip, and us and the dog on board. The truck ratings are front, 3600 lbs., and rear, 3950 lbs.

All that being said, we had a great trip without ever having one issue due to loading or handling.

We have recently replaced that trailer with a newer 25' which has a total weight of about 2500 additional pounds, and about 200 lbs additional hitch weight. We have only towed this trailer about 800 miles so far, but have had no problems. I will admitt, however, the additional weight is noticable on the hills, and feel we are now at the practical limit in weight considering the truck has a 7800 lb tow rating.

This truck is my "daily driver", and I prefer the ride of the 1/2 ton over the 3/4.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
been towing trailers since 1985.i still wouldnt call myself a wealth of knowledge on the topic.however one thing i have learned over the years is the white knuckle experience when the rig is not setup correctly.icurrently have a 2005 excursion 4x4 ltd diesel.had a large popup when i first bought the truck.noticed towing from pa to niagra falls ny that i had major rear end sag.did some research about the excursion after this trip and ended up putting on a set of timbrens-rear and a set of bilsteins.at that point a purchased a 2005 safari 28 leftover.based on my own counsel i set this trailer up with a reese dual cam.towed alot of miles without incident up and down the east coast.this was a very good tow setup but i still knew i was towing a pretty good size trailer.traded up a couple years ago and took the dealers advice on installing a hensley.most of my travel is sporadic due to work constraints,but when i do go the trips our usually more than 500 miles roundtrip.now when i travel the truck on the interstates feels better with the trailer in tow than when im driving solo.my advice on selecting a truck to complement the trailer would be to research the tow vehicle with needed mods,then select your hitch setup based on the amount of traveling you expect to do.on trips to fla -once a yr -i can usually drive a 12 hr day before i pull over for the nite.this has everything to do with the proper truck/towing combo.the other thing is i am tired after a day like this ,but i am not totally stressed out.i remember going to myrtle beach last summer and when i arrived at the campground they had me setup on the beach on a very tight site.when i backed in a fellow camper asked me if i drove a truck for a living and i told him i didnt he also asked me how many days it took me to drive down from pa,which i told him was 12 hrs.this i beleive boils down to being properly setup,which i feel i finally have a pretty good handle on.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Unclear if this was due to loading, but here's a Tundra accident thread - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ccd-28572.html
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
If an accident is defined as being stopped by the side of the road on a cell phone count me in? Poor trailer wiring blew a fuse in my Tundra, once. That aside I have never seen a Tundra involved in an accident (may this continue). I just wanted to add that compared to the domestic labelled product I had prior to my '07 I find the trucks poise night and day even when loaded up. In Alberta our highways are often challenging especially in the winter (Oct through May) and the traction control & stability control coupled with whatever the chassis is doing work amazingly well. If I had to tow something heavier and longer I'd be looking at a 2500 upwards but I would triple check that it had stability control (the GMC long beds don't for some reason here). Anyhow I'm definitely not the towing guru but I'd speculate that if you manage to wreck towing with an '07 up Tundra you would have wrecked with a 1500 from Ford, Dodge, Chev or GMC.

Lastly; I don't think a wreck is in quite the same category as an accident if you are overloaded, your margin of safety has already gone.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I have an F250 and a Tundra. Much of the Tundra-bashing that I observe on this forum is bogus from my perspective. Example: a post a while back stated that Tundra wheels are 5 lug and of course you could never tow with 5-lug. My AS owner's manual sample tow vehicle (car) was 5-lug... by the way my Tundra 6-lug 17".

AS length does not determine weight, weight determines weight. My '73 31' does not weight the same '05 31'.

Travel style comes into play as well. We (my wife and I, not a family of 8) take short trips typically 2-3 days so we tend to travel light and use park water. I prefer to tow with the Tundra on these "light shorts" because the Tundra has more, yes more, horse power and torque that my f250 and the softer springs seems to be better for the AS. On Heavily loaded trips I use the F250 because the heavy payload is required and because once loaded its not as hard on the AS.

The F250 is a bit heavier and has a bit longer wheel base but not by much. My Tundra does fine for me in the context that I use it in.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
I almost hate to put my two cents into this arena. This is area open to so much dissagreement. I've only been towing 27', 29' 31' and 34' trailers since 1967. I don't know it all and probably no more than 1%. But in that time I have seen and heard of many accidents. Many happen with drivers on long runs, bored with the road and suddenly there's a problem in the road. Being suddenly awakened from inattention you triy to make a snap decision. Some decisions will be correct but only one needs to be wrong. I know some folks carefully calculate their loads and TV capacity and some play it right to the upper limit. I have always felt that something other than a 2ply, 4ply rated tire is essential insurance so the sidewalls don't give and contribute to a high speed slide into a jack knife. I prefer 8 ply or 10 ply tires. I also believe the frame strength of a three quarter ton truck gives assurance that the added weight and strength help to maintain stability in fast lane change manuvers. I've heard and seen some trailer damage on a couple Airstreams from too stiff a tow vehicle. But IMHO I will always go for the added assurance and not stretch a marginal vehicle into a possible disaster. That's not to say disasters will not happen if you go bigger. But they do add insurance. The larger heavier vehicles built today ride and handle very well. They are not at all like what were built in the 70's and earlier. I just completed a caravan around the Gaspe'. I traveled with a fellow in our group pulling a 25' with a Tundra. I was impressed with that vehicle. We went down one hill that was so steep I don't think you could walk up it. We broke over the top and my hood was in my way to see the road going down for a few seconds. I immediatelly shifted into 4th gear in my Allison. I occasionally hit my brakes in short spurts going down and was doing 80 at the bottom. The distance was about a mile down and then immediately the identical straight up again. The fellow with the Tundra was behind me and he never ran over me and he kept it on the road comfortably he said. He's been towing a few years more than me so I trust his judgment. Charlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Call your insurance agent and compare the rate quote of the Tundra to one each of similarly equipped trucks of other brands. That will tell you about the accident frequency per 1,000 vehicles (or something like that) of the Tundras.

Roger
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You gotta' love these discussions! Brings to mind a recent pic featured at the top of the "Latest Discussions" page. It was a picture from an 1985 Airstream brochure. The picture was of a Chevy Impala pulling a 34 foot triple axle Excella. No, load range E tires, no tow mode Allison, no Ford F150 bump rider, no SUPER diesel smell or breakdowns, not even a suspect puny Toyota Tundra. No, it was a Chevy Impala 4 door.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I Like Mine

I have had my Tundra since August and have about 8,500 or so on it, most of those miles towing. I still like it and I traded, as some would say, down, from a 2004 2500 Suburban with the 8.1. No problems with weight and it will pull 10,800. You do have to keep an eye on the payload and pull with the right hitch, but heck so does everyone else.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, I own a Sequoia not a Tundra, It's a little different as it has an Independent rear end... It also only tows 9600 lbs.. But it works for me, And I feel totally safe pulling with it... The only white knuckling I have done is with my '75 3/4 ton Dodge... Man those brakes just don't like to stop loads fast....

You could start this thread for any truck or SUV... I've seen a few different trucks or SUV's on there side with the trailer.... 99.9% of the time it's driver error...

So we all drive with what we like or what we can afford.. We try not to push the limits and keep it safe...

And until you drive what the other guy has, it seems your experience is limited to what you have towed with...

You my have an opinion about other tow Vehicles , but by no means does this account for experience towing with other said vehicle.

So Opinions are all good and nice, but thats all they are (OPINIONS)

And it would seem that most of the Tundra drivers like towing with them!!!

And I have seen more Fords on the side of the road towing rigs than Toyotas or Chevy But then there or more Fords Trucks on the road (# 1 seller in the world) so your bound to see more broke down.. RIGHT, or is this just my opinion and then may not be worth much...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote