Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Truck bed shell -Snugtop Outback

We're looking into the Snugtop "Outback" for a F350, likely long bed, due to availability of the short beds here. It has 60 / 40 doors at the rear (40 on driver side), matching paint, secure, double gaskets .....

The only thing is, it replaces the tailgate with the backup camera. The Outback has a mount for a camera though, next to the 3rd brake light.

1. Any opinions on this toppers' door features?
2. What to do with the tailgate? And replace the BU camera? Thinking of a Rear View Safety pair, 1- BU and 1- rear view for the TT.
3. Will I be able to hook up the RVS BU camera into the reverse function on the TV?

We're going FT so all we will have will be in the TV or TT. Reasoning behind the topper approach. We've had Snuglids on all our trucks before and know they are great products and pricier than the tonneau's.

They are available for the 2015 & 16 models.

Thanks, Sphere Guy
Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Boy I wish I had looked into this model before I bought my Leer topper. The Leer we have is a traditional topper, we had difficulties with the rear window and the plastic piece that fits above the tailgate. And the Leer dealer I went to has such poor service I don't ever want to step foot into their shop again. So I try to fix it myself instead of having them look at it.

To do it over again, I would seriously consider the Snugtop model you're looking at or another with a door that takes out tailgate.

Loosing the BU camera is a big deal, but it can be replicated with an add on camera. The benefits of accessibility to the truck bed seem to outweigh the OEM BU camera. But different folks may weigh that differently.

Good luck!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looked at the Outback specs. The rear doors are 60/40. I'm not sure you could open the 60 door with the Airstream hitched. Might hit the jack.

I'm sure the double doors are probably more secure than the tailgate hatches. I have the ARE Series Z. I'm able to open the hatch and drop the tailgate and it misses the trailer jack. I prefer having the tailgate so I can use it to stand on if I need to remove something from the racks on the top of the shell.

The lost of the back up camera would be missed. Now that I have a truck with a back up camera I love the ability to solo hitch because my wife wasn't good at helping me align the truck to the trailer correctly on our last truck.

Hopefully, you can see one in person before you make a decision.

Kelvin
Old 09-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Snugtop outback

Thanks all for your insight,

I imagined the 60 wouldn't open all the way even with a WD hitch. But surely the 40 would.

Security is important and thought it would be secure. And KT, I never planned to stow anything on top, but is had occurred to me. Glad you brought that up cause I never thought of how I would access the stuff up there. Bravo!

I wish there were some of these around to see in person for sure, but it is relatively new and the dealer will not likely just order one for us to look over.

Thanks Sphere