Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #21

Castro Valley , California
I recommend the DiamondBack Tonneau cover. We have one on our TV. It keeps our extra items secure and dry. There are many options but my interest was in being able to haul on top of the cover with tie downs to keep the load secure. Ours has 12 tie down clits and a 1650lbs load limit.
HiCountrydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tampa , Florida
Check out Diamondback covers. They are aluminum, super secure and come in several configurations. Pricey, but very well made. Worth a look. I have one on my 2019 Ram, keeps generator safe, and the lids give easy access to different areas of the bed.
Coopdejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
When I purchased my first truck to pull the Airstream I went to Cap City and spent some time with the owner. They had models of many choices of covers and "caps". I looked at many choices and came away with a cover. In my ignorance I was leaning toward a click system that had plates that folded up but covered nearly 1/3 of the bed when folded open. Then, he shared his advice on a cover that went something very similar to this:

"You probably noticed all the sales literature that mentions security. I will tell you that the most important point in all that is being out of sight. If someone wants into a truck bed, it doesn't matter what the cover is made of, they will get in. If you get a cover, you are also better off getting one that gets out of the way when you want to use the bed. Some even require two people to remove! I would suggest getting a cover that performs both. Anything else is extras or aesthetic preference."

I will share on the caps he mentioned a benefit when towing a trailer and recommended a two tier unit that directs the wind away from the trailer face if I went that route.

The final choice for me was a Truxedo LoPro. I have owned two and the current one I transferred off the other truck. It is five years old and doing great. It is a cut resistant vinyl stuff with low profile and metal crossmembers that fold with the roll up. It rolls to a small roll at the front of the cab and Velcro sides.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Just a heads up- if you decide to get a tonneau cover, consider one that does not have a thin aluminum sheet on the top. My Ram has the Ram branded dealer installed unit with a thin honeycomb tri-fold cover. It’s great, but even though it rarely rains in Phoenix, I’ve managed to find a hail storm and drive through it. Yes, lots of little dents in my year old cover.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I use a Extang rolling tonneau covering a BedRug bedliner. They also make solid folding. My first one was 12 years old and still on the truck after I sold it. My current one is 6 years old. It does allow a little water to suck in at the tailgate. They sell an additional tailgate seal, I just don't have it.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #26
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had two A.R.E. caps. The company was founded by an Amish gentleman who had three kids and he named his company after their fist name initials. The quality of their product is top notch. Parts are easy to get and special orders are no problem. My next camper sell will be an A.RE.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mine is ARE the fit and paint, darn good.

It has what they call windoors side windows hinged at the top. Open latches and each side has lifts up for access. LED light strip on sides and back.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Many good choices as indicated...I have enjoyed our BAK Flip MX-4. Works well, watertight, secure and not prohibitively expensive.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Greatly appreciate the Retrax Power Pro we have installed on our TV which as shown is an F250. We previously had the same in the manual version on another truck which is a equally nice unit but find that the power option is super-convenient particular given you can open and close it without ever stepping out of the vehicle.

Costly yes, but then again so are most things of quality, including the product that has us all here to begin with being Airstream(s).

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzEEkQOXQDmTA63U8TO8cQ.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	370317
Old 06-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #30
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
On in my second BackFlip: love it. I’ve had solid fiberglass ones and it’s diffiyto reach things in the front of the bed plus your restricted on the occasional tall items you might need to haul. Mine is six years old and everything looks almost new, except for a few scratches on the underside from tall items rubbing it. It won’t open when the tailgate is locked, is waterproof even thru a car wash, and will transfer to my next FX-4.
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
This is all good stuff here. Info overload.....so I’ll add mine.
Started out first two trips with sot tonneau. Now carrying two folding electric bikes plus gen. and all the other stuff for long term travel. Purchased the BakFlip folding hard cover for the extra security. Very good unit. BTW our truck is an F-150.
Now I want a cap with a full sliding tray to help with the bikes, etc. That puts the truck way over payload. Now looking at F-250 but $60-70,000 is a bit scary!
So, the saga continues 😃
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Flower Mound , Texas
We’ve used a roll up Agri-Cover since 2012 on our Tundra. Convenient, light weight and no leaks. Made in USA and we’re very happy with it.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I Have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and it has been great for 4 years now. I started out with a soft cover and did not like the flapping noise, which is something you should think about when choosing a cover design. The other thing to consider is that some covers have semi-permanent rails that you attach to the bed so when you remove the cover you still have rails attached. With the Solid Fold 2.0 I can easily remove the cover completely and then attach my yakima bed rack for bikes or Canoe rack without having things on the bed rails in the way. That said, I would be very tempted to look at the Retrax system if all I had to haul was bikes.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I Have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and it has been great for 4 years now. I started out with a soft cover and did not like the flapping noise, which is something you should think about when choosing a cover design. The other thing to consider is that some covers have semi-permanent rails that you attach to the bed so when you remove the cover you still have rails attached. With the Solid Fold 2.0 I can easily remove the cover completely and then attach my yakima bed rack for bikes or Canoe rack without having things on the bed rails in the way. That said, I would be very tempted to look at the Retrax system if all I had to haul was bikes.
Ditto. Just picked up a 2020 F150 and got the Extang 2.0. As was said, simple to remove or fold up. When your tailgate locks, it is locked.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
I had an ARE tonneau cover on my old Titan and loved how it looked, and mostly how it performed. I definitely found the limits when loading items in the bed and removed it twice to haul motorcycles. New truck means new tonneau cover and research keeps leading me to the Bakflip MX4. Not as "pretty" as the ARE but far more functional I'm guessing.
AL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
I had the Extang solid-fold (1.0, I guess) on my 2010 Sierra 2500 HD for the past 10 years. It was a good solid bed cover and I liked it’s performance. It is true, if you keep your tailgate locked your stuff will be secure. All it takes is one person about five minutes to remove it, no tools needed. I wasn’t keeping my tailgate locked, cause I didn’t have anything of value in the bed. I guess I forgot about the bed cover being valuable, cause someone removed it one night last month, right in my driveway, with my motion-activated lights to assist. ☹️ So don’t be like me, keep ‘er locked up.

I almost replaced it with the Extang Solid-Fold 2.0, that’s how much I liked it, but a friend (Thanks, Trent!) talked me into an A.R.E. topper, with a slide. So that’s being built for me now. I ordered keyless entry (locks with your key fob) in hopes of improving my locking habits! I’m also researching some sort of motion detector/camera system that might wake me up, dang it. It appears that my fierce guard dog, who barks at anything that moves all day, considers himself “off duty” at night.
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Also think about a bed liner of some sort.
Why?
Because in due time you will be crawling around the bed on your knees to get something.
That's hard on the knees.
I have a BedRug installed...wall-to-wall. At least it cushions my crawling around in there.
But when you want to haul dirty stuff....well...it gets dirty.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
I have a BAKFlip MX4 and am very happy with it.
BAKFLIP ....DEFINITELY! I’ve had a BakFlip F2 for 7 years and it’s been great (only problem was I had to replace a pop-rivet and a screw after a few years.).

VERY secure...and WATER-TIGHT in downpours and heavy rain. Even survived a severe hail storm with just a few “character-tattoos”. Ins gave me a replacement but I’m keeping it as a spare...probably never need it unless I buy another truck.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Also think about a bed liner of some sort.
Why?
Because in due time you will be crawling around the bed on your knees to get something.
That's hard on the knees.
I have a BedRug installed...wall-to-wall. At least it cushions my crawling around in there.
But when you want to haul dirty stuff....well...it gets dirty.
Yes, the Bed Rug is a very nice upgrade. At least they didn’t steal that bit. Some sort of ultra-modern rug material that’s completely synthetic. I plan on hosing mine out with a pressure washer prior to my new topper. The only problem I’ve had with it is some separation between the bed and rug “Velcro”, which I plan to fix with some sections of the “Command Strip” Velcro-like product prior to th new top.
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
2 x on the BakFlip!

5 Years and counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
BAKFLIP ....DEFINITELY! I’ve had a BakFlip F2 for 7 years and it’s been great (only problem was I had to replace a pop-rivet and a screw after a few years.).

VERY secure...and WATER-TIGHT in downpours and heavy rain. Even survived a severe hail storm with just a few “character-tattoos”. Ins gave me a replacement but I’m keeping it as a spare...probably never need it unless I buy another truck.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote