Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium Falcon View Post
My AS was delivered before the Durango arrived so I will be returning to CanAm in the coming months for them to fine tune my setup and do any other work that may be required. I am still at the initial stages of setting up my combo, starting with determining the exact tongue weight of the 25FB and the payload of the Durango. All Durangos ship with a 1200lbs sticker. Based on my past experience with Stellantis products, this is likely not accurate. Therefore, a trip to the scale will be necessary to determine the actual payload of my Durango R/T TNG. As my wife and I travel light, we do not need much payload allowance to make this work. As per my earlier post, I knew the payload limitations of the Durango going in. In my view, the other towing qualities of the Durango outweigh that factor.

Load the trailer up as you would when you travel and measure the tongue weight with a Sherline scale by itself.

As far as your max payload goes for your TV, not sure how you are going to determine that by going to a cat scale?
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #142
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Load the trailer up as you would when you travel and measure the tongue weight with a Sherline scale by itself.

As far as your max payload goes for your TV, not sure how you are going to determine that by going to a cat scale?

I did it by weighing my Suburban empty and subtracting that from the GVWR. What was left was available for payload.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Trial by Fire Completed. GT 27FBT first tow with Cayenne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I did it by weighing my Suburban empty and subtracting that from the GVWR. What was left was available for payload.
I get that, but he’s saying the payload sticker is likely wrong and he was looking to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium Falcon View Post
All Durangos ship with a 1200lbs sticker. Based on my past experience with Stellantis products, this is likely not accurate. Therefore, a trip to the scale will be necessary to determine the actual payload of my Durango R/T TNG.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
https://rvsnappad.com/

https://www.centramatic.com/

I use and highly recommend both.

As far as the “stepstick “is concerned, not sure if that is the support that goes under the bottom step, or is the non-slip stuff that goes on the step.
On those "snap pads", do those go on the stabilizer jack feet and the front power jack foot? I sent in that question to RVSnapped and waiting for answer. Was not clear if they are intended for permanent use and will stay on when retracted or not. Do you have pictures on your AS?

I did have a 6" "Flipfoot" at one time on one of my 25's for front power jack; it worked pretty well and I am considering getting it again for this 28'. It eliminates the need for using the 8x8" wood block I carry. Not sure if the snappads would work with this, however?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:34 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
On those "snap pads", do those go on the stabilizer jack feet and the front power jack foot? I sent in that question to RVSnapped and waiting for answer. Was not clear if they are intended for permanent use and will stay on when retracted or not. Do you have pictures on your AS?

I did have a 6" "Flipfoot" at one time on one of my 25's for front power jack; it worked pretty well and I am considering getting it again for this 28'. It eliminates the need for using the 8x8" wood block I carry. Not sure if the snappads would work with this, however?

Yes, they are on both the stabilizers and jack pad. They are meant to be “permanent” and stay on when retracted but they can be taken off. Would likely have to cut the edge to take off as they are super tight.

They will not eliminate the need for a block on the jack, and i’ve never seen a Flipfoot so i don’t know. If that is attached to the jack pad as well then it is likely a no go.

I can shoot you some pics when I am back at home this weekend.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Yes, they are on both the stabilizers and jack pad. They are meant to be “permanent” and stay on when retracted but they can be taken off. Would likely have to cut the edge to take off as they are super tight.

They will not eliminate the need for a block on the jack, and i’ve never seen a Flipfoot so i don’t know. If that is attached to the jack pad as well then it is likely a no go.

I can shoot you some pics when I am back at home this weekend.
I hadn't considered using the snappad on the front jack. If you still need a block under the jack, then what are the advantages of using the snappads under the jack? Would appreciate your thoughts/experience on the topic.

And, of course this begs the question as to which snappad will fit on the jack. Am browsing the snappad website now.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
I hadn't considered using the snappad on the front jack. If you still need a block under the jack, then what are the advantages of using the snappads under the jack? Would appreciate your thoughts/experience on the topic.

And, of course this begs the question as to which snappad will fit on the jack. Am browsing the snappad website now.

They do help level to some extent and help with rocking, but they really help with not sinking into hot pavement, soft ground and from bring uneven on loose gravel, dirt and sand.

Keeps rain and crap off the metal and helps prevent slipping on the lego blocks as well.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
They do help level to some extent and help with rocking, but they really help with not sinking into hot pavement, soft ground and from bring uneven on loose gravel, dirt and sand.

Keeps rain and crap off the metal and helps prevent slipping on the lego blocks as well.
Thanks. You convinced me :-) Which snappad did you buy for the jack ?
Old 08-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Argh, trailer is a couple of hours away getting some work done on it. There appear to be multiple possible snappad's for the jack stand. I called the snappad company and they indicated that Airstream has not used a consistent jack stand base and they don't know which snappad would fit.

Anyone have a 2022 27FBT Globetrotter handy and can measure the diameter of the circular metal pad at the bottom of the front jack pole? Otherwise, it will be a few weeks before I can get the trailer back and measure the size myself.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:

Mini 6 single x1

Mini 5 four pack x1

Have the peeps working on your rig measure the square stabilizer pad and circular jack pad.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Mini 6 single x1

Mini 5 four pack x1

Have the peeps working on your rig measure the square stabilizer pad and circular jack pad.
Gracias! I will ask the crew to double check the dimensions.

Just received confirmation from the upgrade shop that the tongue jack foot metal disc is 6" and the BAL pads are 5.5". Thought I would add this follow-up in case it helps others. Thanks again WellSaid11...
Old 08-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Gracias! I will ask the crew to double check the dimensions.

Just received confirmation from the upgrade shop that the tongue jack foot metal disc is 6" and the BAL pads are 5.5". Thought I would add this follow-up in case it helps others. Thanks again WellSaid11...

NP, same size as the 28 PB so you should be good with those sizes on your order.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
NP, same size as the 28 PB so you should be good with those sizes on your order.
Yea, talking with these folks about these; my neighbor just installed on his Class A coach; he used Dawn to help slip them over the stabalizer jacks. The "Snap Pad" folks just sent me an email asking me to measure my "feet" as they differ. Mine are 5 1/2" square; the power jack round pad is 6". I use an 8x8"x 1' long wood block with a handle I screwed into the side, most all the time; it works great for the front jack.

I am considering getting the 6" Flipjack which drops down automatically and folds up automatically, extending your jack 6" without having to adjust using the pin thru the shaft. It works pretty slick, but still need a larger platform like 2x8x8" or Leggo type foot block under that foot anyway...decisions!

Fastway FLIP 88-00-6500 Trailer Tongue Automatic Fold-Up Jack Foot Plate for 2 1/4" Jacks--6" Extension
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 08-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Thanks for the other suggestions qwertyd10n.

Could you share some more feedback on the RV water pump controller?

Also, I'm not familiar with StepStick, SnapPads, and the Centramatic Wheel Balancers. Can you share some more about what these products are and what problems they solve or help with?
As their site states, the RV Water Pump Controller "modulates the pump speed to smoothly, quietly and automatically deliver just the amount of water needed" versus it just being on/off like a light switch. It reduces the noise and vibrations, as well as makes it much more efficient and reduces wear and tear on the pump.

I found the change quite noticeable... if we turn on a tap just a little bit, the water pump will eventually come on at a very low speed versus full bore.

Other have already responded about the SnapPads and Centramatics - both are quality products that should make life easier and cut down on wear and tear if you're going to have your AS for a long time.

Here is Ronnie's (GMFL) listing for the Step Stick: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...ma-205643.html
I made my own and it definitely cuts down on the bounce of the entrance stairs.
qwertyd10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Hey Foobar!

Congrats on your new silver bullet!

Send me a direct email with your contact info, and we can get you signed up in the North Texas Airstream Club (NTxAC).

We have an active 200-rig group of merry “Streamers” here around north Texas.

Local rallies are starting up mid-September thru the rest of the year.

We get back after Labor Day, and would like to meet you in person.

Tom Jensen

Send me a Private Message and we can exchange email/#'s etc...

NTxAC Membership
Grapevine
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyd10n View Post
As their site states, the RV Water Pump Controller "modulates the pump speed to smoothly, quietly and automatically deliver just the amount of water needed" versus it just being on/off like a light switch. It reduces the noise and vibrations, as well as makes it much more efficient and reduces wear and tear on the pump.

I found the change quite noticeable... if we turn on a tap just a little bit, the water pump will eventually come on at a very low speed versus full bore.

Other have already responded about the SnapPads and Centramatics - both are quality products that should make life easier and cut down on wear and tear if you're going to have your AS for a long time.

Here is Ronnie's (GMFL) listing for the Step Stick: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...ma-205643.html
I made my own and it definitely cuts down on the bounce of the entrance stairs.
Is there an updated listing? When I tried to go to this site, it says:
Warning ! This ad has expired. The product or service is not more available (may be)