Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Your phrasing was that you weren't sure, and almost always.

Just helping you out.

Quick and dirty refers to adding a spacer block vs reengineering the suspension, whether done by the OEM or aftermarket. I'd stay with OE as the different tapers on the different thickness blocks will maintain the correct pinion angle. Most aftermarket kits seem to focus on lifting, and the discussion is about removing the additional lift that the OEs added in the past few years in the interests of marketing and image.

Not really helping anyone at all, but the furtherance of the previously mentioned and unyielding move of throwing out the ignoratio elenchi is sublime.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:09 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
OMG
I think everyone has spoke their mind on this and no one is gaining anything at this point.
Someone shut this one down.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Great looking setup foobar! If it's anything like our experiences (past and present) with a '09 Cayenne Turbo S pulling a '19 27FB you'll continue to fall further and further in love with the combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Hello folks,

I'm pleased to announce that the missus and I picked up our brand spanking new 2022 Globetrotter 27 FB Twin. Given that the factory shut down the week after ours was manufactured in order to convert to 2023 production, our trailer was one of the last few 2022 models that were made. Nothing like getting a years depreciation in less than a week

Using a 2016 Cayenne S, we towed the trailer from the dealer in Buda, Tx to our home in Dallas. Just a touch less than 250 miles.

We had purchased a customized Eaz Elite 1000 WD hitch and 2 husky friction anti-sway bars from Can Am RV in London, Ontario.

After spending 2 hours installing and setting up the WD hitch in the dealer parking lot starting at 1pm (the dealer refuses to install anything that they did not sell) when the temp was 104F in-the-shade, I was about done for.

But, still needed to install the Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller. Took about an hour to figure out "where" to mount it on the trailer A-Frame, and about 20 minutes to install it. Then I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't pair. The hand held unit kept claiming that the A-frame mounted controller wasn't powered from the trailer (huh?). So on a whim, I pressed the battery disconnect button once in order to power up the trailer systems. And guess what ... the controller proceeded to pair up and work just fine. Thank you Airstream for wiring the 7 pin cable incorrectly and creating an unsafe installation . I'll have to fix that, but it was time to "hit the road".

I decided that the friction anti-sway bar installation could wait until I got home to install as long as I drive slow enough. And that assumption proved to be true, so don't give me any crap about it

Well, then came the first lesson learned ... don't head North on I35 from South of Austin in rush hour when you haven't tuned the brake controller. Hitting the brakes for the first time was "entertaining". I'll just leave it at that ...

Anyway, the rest of the trip went fine. The Cayenne towed like a beast. 415ft-lbs of torque, all of which is available at 1350rpm and almost 450hp meant that the Cayenne had plenty of oomph to accelerate (0 to 60 in about 7-8 seconds while towing is just fine, thank you very much). The Cayenne got 12mpg when towing between 65 and 70mph.

We arrived at home at about sundown (8:30pm give or take) on Friday, July 22, 2022.

Here is a photo of the glorious occasion! Also added a couple of photos of the interior taken the next morning. Please ignore the optical distortion from the fish eye lens on the interior shots.

We are so excited !!
qwertyd10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyd10n View Post
Great looking setup foobar! If it's anything like our experiences (past and present) with a '09 Cayenne Turbo S pulling a '19 27FB you'll continue to fall further and further in love with the combination.
Thanks for the the confirmation qwertyd10n. Glad to hear that the combination of Cayenne and 27FB worked out well for you. Did you have any trouble managing the tongue weight or cargo capacity with respect to the Cayenne?

From the general feedback it seems that the tow combination is quite possibly sacrilegious and likely to trigger an apocalypse that would kill us all, lol. Disclaimer: This comment is intended to be said in jest. Don't lose any sleep over it.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
I will be interested to see how your rig performs. I will soon start towing my 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB with the same hitch setup as you but with a 2022 Dodge Durango R/T Plus Tow N Go. While clearly not a Porsche Cayenne the Durango TNG is rated to tow 8700 lbs and has similar attributes.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminium Falcon View Post
I will be interested to see how your rig performs. I will soon start towing my 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB with the same hitch setup as you but with a 2022 Dodge Durango R/T Plus Tow N Go. While clearly not a Porsche Cayenne the Durango TNG is rated to tow 8700 lbs and has similar attributes.
How much is the "max" payload on drivers doorjamb of your Durango? That tongue weight is likely around 1000lbs on the 25...please share a picture of the sticker with the payload, and if you have the actual scale weights for the tongue, that will help us also. Appreciate if you can share..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Thanks for the the confirmation qwertyd10n. Glad to hear that the combination of Cayenne and 27FB worked out well for you. Did you have any trouble managing the tongue weight or cargo capacity with respect to the Cayenne?

From the general feedback it seems that the tow combination is quite possibly sacrilegious and likely to trigger an apocalypse that would kill us all, lol. Disclaimer: This comment is intended to be said in jest. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Tongue weight and cargo distribution is definitely something that is top of mind.

When I upgraded to LiFePO4 batteries, I moved them into the front storage compartment which sets them rearward 3-4' so a little more of the weight is on the trailer axles. I also usually don't keep both LP tanks 100% full as we don't typically need them both full. I'll refill the empty one when the other gets down to 30-40% - I installed Mopeka LP tank sensors to determine when this is and they're AWESOME!

We store a few things like our Napoleon BBQ and iSUPs in the back of the trailer under the table on drive days versus putting them in the back of the Cayenne so that helps with weight distribution. I think the main thing is ensuring that the EAZ Elite WDH is dialed in just right. I spoke with Can-Am quite a bit as well when initially getting things setup and also bought a solid, shortened receiver shank from them so the overhang out back is a couple inches less than "normal".

Regardless of anyone else's opinion, what I can tell you is that our setup is ROCK solid with no signs of sway, porpoising, or any other unwanted movement. I have asked my wife more than a few times in significant crosswind conditions if I was imagining that there was no movement of the trailer in the mirrors as I couldn't believe how easy and uneventful it pulls. Especially when coming up on some 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks towing travel trailers and watching the back end of their trailers dance back and forth between the lines on the road! And before anyone flames me on that, I am fully aware that their setups are obviously not correct and it's not the fault of the tow vehicle - I am not slamming heavy duty trucks.

FYI, here are a few other upgrades that I would highly recommend: EEZ Tire TPMS System with aluminum valve stems (don't ask how I know to upgrade the valve stems ), Beech Lane Camper Levelers, LevelMatePro+, lift kit, Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller, SnapPads, Douglas RV Mattress, StepStick (bought or I made my own), Oxygenics showerhead, Andersen Rapid Jack (this is a lifesaver if you ever need to change a tire - see valve stem comment above), Window Poppers, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, SoftStartRV... if it isn't obvious already, this can be a VERY slippery slope!
qwertyd10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #128
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
I have been interested in the Durango R/T Tow N Go since it was released in 2021.

After seeing how it performed in the gruelling Ike Gauntlet Challenge, watching Alex on Auto’s review on YouTube in which he stated that the Durango SRT and R/T TNG towed better than any half-ton pick-up truck, and reading Andy Thomson’s column in RV Lifestyle magazine describing it as “one of the best tow vehicle you can buy for less than $100,000”and that “it is like they asked me how to build it”, I had to check it out. I did and determined that it was the perfect vehicle for my wife and I considering the type of camping we do. I recently bought one.

The only negative is the 1200 lbs payload on my door jamb sticker, which many on this forum will consider marginal or mediocre. However, I find that factor is clearly outweighed by the pros: 5.7L Hemi, 119.8 inches wheelbase with short overhang, aerodynamics, 20 x 10 inch wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Zero 295/45ZR20 All-Season run-flat tires, 6-Piston Brembo Front Brakes and 4-Piston Rear Brakes, Bilstein SRT Active-Damping High-Performance Suspension, Electronic Limited Slip Differential, Quada-Trac AWD, Class IV Trailer Hitch, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling, 180 amp alternator, High-Performance Exhaust, relatively short turning radius.

On paper, at least, this vehicle was built to tow, yet, it makes for a fast, nimble, practical and fun to drive daily driver. That is a rather unique combination. I can’t wait for the break-in period to be completed so that I can put it to the test! Can Am RV has set up the hitch for me and it is now just a matter of dialing it in.

I hope my towing experience will be somewhat similar to that of Cayenne owners.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Trial by Fire Completed. GT 27FBT first tow with Cayenne!

Quote:
I have been interested in the Durango R/T Tow N Go since it was released in 2021.

After seeing how it performed in the gruelling Ike Gauntlet Challenge, watching Alex on Auto’s review on YouTube in which he stated that the Durango SRT and R/T TNG towed better than any half-ton pick-up truck, and reading Andy Thomson’s column in RV Lifestyle magazine describing it as “one of the best tow vehicle you can buy for less than $100,000”and that “it is like they asked me how to build it”, I had to check it out. I did and determined that it was the perfect vehicle for my wife and I considering the type of camping we do. I recently bought one.

The only negative is the 1200 lbs payload on my door jamb sticker, which many on this forum will consider marginal or mediocre. However, I find that factor is clearly outweighed by the pros: 5.7L Hemi, 119.8 inches wheelbase with short overhang, aerodynamics, 20 x 10 inch wheels, Pirelli Scorpion Zero 295/45ZR20 All-Season run-flat tires, 6-Piston Brembo Front Brakes and 4-Piston Rear Brakes, Bilstein SRT Active-Damping High-Performance Suspension, Electronic Limited Slip Differential, Quada-Trac AWD, Class IV Trailer Hitch, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling, 180 amp alternator, High-Performance Exhaust, relatively short turning radius.

On paper, at least, this vehicle was built to tow, yet, it makes for a fast, nimble, practical and fun to drive daily driver. That is a rather unique combination. I can’t wait for the break-in period to be completed so that I can put it to the test! Can Am RV has set up the hitch for me and it is now just a matter of dialing it in.

I hope my towing experience will be somewhat similar to that of Cayenne owners.

What’s the tongue weight on the AS or other trailer you will be towing? It looks like the RT with TNGO has a 850# tongue weight rating on the stock receiver setup?

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...o-r-t-tow-n-go

If the payload is 1200# then you will
need to pack carefully after the 25’ AS is hitched up.

Looks like a great vehicle overall, and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:01 PM   #130
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
What’s the tongue weight on the AS or other trailer you will be towing? It looks like the RT with TNGO has a 850# tongue weight rating on the stock receiver setup?

https://driving.ca/reviews/road-test...o-r-t-tow-n-go

If the payload is 1200# then you will
need to pack carefully after the 25’ AS is hitched up.

Looks like a great vehicle overall, and let us know how it goes.
The maximum trailer tongue weight on the Durango R/T TNG is 870lbs. I have not yet measured the exact tongue weight on my FC 25FBQ. I intend to provide an update on the Durango’s towing performance after I have a few thousand kilometres of towing under my belt.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:49 AM   #131
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
The maximum trailer tongue weight on the Durango R/T TNG is 870lbs. I have not yet measured the exact tongue weight on my FC 25FBQ. I intend to provide an update on the Durango’s towing performance after I have a few thousand kilometres of towing under my belt.

Well if max tongue weight is 870# you may be over it from the start. When you worked with CanAm did they reinforce the receiver?

Other issue is the 1200# payload. If that AS weighs in at 1000# at the tongue, then you only have 200# left for everything else?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyd10n View Post

FYI, here are a few other upgrades that I would highly recommend: EEZ Tire TPMS System with aluminum valve stems (don't ask how I know to upgrade the valve stems ), Beech Lane Camper Levelers, LevelMatePro+, lift kit, Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller, SnapPads, Douglas RV Mattress, StepStick (bought or I made my own), Oxygenics showerhead, Andersen Rapid Jack (this is a lifesaver if you ever need to change a tire - see valve stem comment above), Window Poppers, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, SoftStartRV... if it isn't obvious already, this can be a VERY slippery slope!
Thanks for the other suggestions qwertyd10n.

Could you share some more feedback on the RV water pump controller?

Also, I'm not familiar with StepStick, SnapPads, and the Centramatic Wheel Balancers. Can you share some more about what these products are and what problems they solve or help with?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Thanks for the other suggestions qwertyd10n.

Could you share some more feedback on the RV water pump controller?

Also, I'm not familiar with StepStick, SnapPads, and the Centramatic Wheel Balancers. Can you share some more about what these products are and what problems they solve or help with?

https://rvsnappad.com/

https://www.centramatic.com/

I use and highly recommend both.

As far as the “stepstick “is concerned, not sure if that is the support that goes under the bottom step, or is the non-slip stuff that goes on the step.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Well if max tongue weight is 870# you may be over it from the start. When you worked with CanAm did they reinforce the receiver?

Other issue is the 1200# payload. If that AS weighs in at 1000# at the tongue, then you only have 200# left for everything else?
WellSaid11 has a good point.

Please note that tongue weight impacts several of the tow vehicle specs: 1. max tongue weight (obviously :-)), 2. Max Cargo weight, 3. Rear Axle GAWR.

As WellSaid11 indicated, tongue weight (including the weight of the WD hitch) also impacts tow vehicle cargo carrying capacity. Somewhere between 60 and 80% of the tongue weight + WD hitch weight ends up loading the tow vehicle after WD tension is applied. The exact % depends on things like tow vehicle wheelbase, distance from rear axle to the tow ball, etc.

On the Payload topic: Check your manual or towing guide for what is included already in the tow vehicle weight. I just finished reading the F150 towing guides a few minutes ago. Ford doesn't include the weight of the driver or passengers when coming up with the max payload, while Porsche does include a 150lb budget for the driver.

So if you have a 1200 lb max payload rating and that doesn't include the driver or passenger, you could be lookin at 750 lbs left over after driver and passenger weight is subtracted (if folks are on the heavier side) and perhaps as much as 900 lbs left over if driver plus passenger are merely 300 lbs combined. This might not be enough remaining cargo capacity even after the WD hitch is tensioned and some of the tongue weight is being carried by the trailer axles.

Folks that have worked very hard to minimize tongue weight when loading their 25ft airstream have reported tongue weights around 800-900 lbs. I've seen others report as much as 1050-1100lbs when they have extra equipment such as gas grills, etc in the front storage compartments of front bed queen and front bed twin trailers.

Best of luck with towing. With some attention to how much cargo you are carrying in the tow vehicle and the amount and location of loads in the 25 ft airstream, you can probably make this work for you. We would love to hear how it works out.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
https://rvsnappad.com/

https://www.centramatic.com/

I use and highly recommend both.

As far as the “stepstick “is concerned, not sure if that is the support that goes under the bottom step, or is the non-slip stuff that goes on the step.
Thanks for seconding the recommendation.

The snappads look interesting. Putting pads under the stabilization jacks is a pain sometimes. Seems like they are supposed to be installed permanently? Were they hard to install?

On the centramatics, is the installation as simple as removing the lug nuts, sliding these on, and then replacing the lug nuts? As opposed to the usual tire balancing approach, what do these do for you?
Old 08-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Trial by Fire Completed. GT 27FBT first tow with Cayenne!

Quote:
Thanks for seconding the recommendation.

The snappads look interesting. Putting pads under the stabilization jacks is a pain sometimes. Seems like they are supposed to be installed permanently? Were they hard to install?
They are permanent, easy to install and nice to have. It is nice to have them as something that is “non-slip,” protects the metal and does help with leveling somewhat.

Quote:
On the centramatics, is the installation as simple as removing the lug nuts, sliding these on, and then replacing the lug nuts? As opposed to the usual tire balancing approach, what do these do for you?
Yes, that’s how easy they are to install. They balance the whole assembly and eliminate the need for tire shop weight as well.

No brainer on both.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #137
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
SnapPads are one of my favorite inexpensive modifications. It makes the process of setting up and tearing down the campsite much easier and quicker.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
They are permanent, easy to install and nice to have. It is nice to have them as something that is “non-slip,” protects the metal and does help with leveling somewhat.

Yes, that’s how easy they are to install. They balance the whole assembly and eliminate the need for tire shop weight as well.

No brainer on both.
Thanks. I'll put them on the list of things to shop for and acquire. I am always looking for things that are proven to make life a bit easier or improve functionality at reasonable price points.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
SnapPads are one of my favorite inexpensive modifications. It makes the process of setting up and tearing down the campsite much easier and quicker.
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback that these are worth having.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Quote:

My AS was delivered before the Durango arrived so I will be returning to CanAm in the coming months for them to fine tune my setup and do any other work that may be required. I am still at the initial stages of setting up my combo, starting with determining the exact tongue weight of the 25FB and the payload of the Durango. All Durangos ship with a 1200lbs sticker. Based on my past experience with Stellantis products, this is likely not accurate. Therefore, a trip to the scale will be necessary to determine the actual payload of my Durango R/T TNG. As my wife and I travel light, we do not need much payload allowance to make this work. As per my earlier post, I knew the payload limitations of the Durango going in. In my view, the other towing qualities of the Durango outweigh that factor.