Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Transmission "idiot" light ?

My Expedition has an "idiot" light for the trans overheating. Is this good enough for notification to take "defensive action" to cool the trans oil down???

Some people have trans oil temp gauges. I would like to avoid this--I can't do it myself-- have to pay some mechanic and where do I "hang the thing" in/on the dashboard ?

I don't tow in OD by the way.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Normally by the time the idiot light lights it is too late, the damage is done. The only way to know if it is accurate is to find out what parameters will cause it to light, and therfore if the damage is done.

As I remember you have a newer tow vehicle. I would be willing to bet the idiot light is there as an add on to the system computer. The dealer can download it to see if you have abused the transmission to ascertain warranty coverage should something go wrong.

Many of the aftermarket gauge manufacturers make a gauge pod that mounts on the A pillar of the windshield. This would allow you to have a trans temp gauge and others. Many of the aftermarket truck sites sell the whole thing as a 1,2, or 3 gauge kit with senders and instructions.

Look here to see what I mean:
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/int...auge-pods.html

My gut would say if you are worried about it get a gauge, you may be able to tow in overdrive if the temps stay in the normal range and make back the cost of the kit and installation!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I found on the car forums that adding a trans temp is a good way to go, however, placement of the sending unit is key. There are several places on the trans where a sender can go, each would have different temps.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks everybody! I was afraid it was too late when the light went on ..... I guess I'll go to the local "generic" garage and inquire. I believe someone advised on some post that the sender be installed on the outflow of the trans on the way to the radiator--that being the hotest fluid.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
kistler

can't speak much on fords. don't know them that well.

on my chevy silverado it has a two stage idiot light and a temp gauge in the dash.

if you abuse the tranny on a chevy and ignore the gauge, the idiot light sez "trans hot" if you still ignore it and keep going it sez "trans hot idle engine".

if you keep going after that, the computer will alternately fire evey other spark plug and slow you down....protecting the tranny from total destruction.

perhaps you ford does the same thing.

maybe brushing up on the manual will tell you more.

a gauge put any where in the system would be better than nothing. at least you could detect an overall trend in rising temps.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Pep boys where they have the transmission coolers are they should also have gages. These are branded by Hayden.

I have run them on my last three trucks. THe one in my Burb Tow rig has a sender in both the oil pan and the transmission. (well once I install the transmission one in the next couple weeks). I run the biggest Stackplate cooler Pepboys sells. Had the same one on the last three trucks and usualy run about 150-160 degrees in the transmission. Now that's measuring the fluid in the pan. Personnally I think that's the best location becuase it's after it has been trun through the transmission.

With your vehcile you may have a transmission drain plug. I lucked out and the sender that comes with the kit fit the drain plug on my engine. THe gage is a common size and will fit those gage pods listed. I mounted mine under the dash but the shape of my dash it works out good in that location.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
BTW...200degrees is where you have to start getting concerned. That's hot enough to start baking the seals. 300 and the life expecancy of the transmisision is rated in hours.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

The guage pods come in one or two pods. I can see the definite need for the tranny temp guage. Is there a real need for the oil temp guage or can one do well watching just the tranny temp?

The above ref is just for the pod (holder). Is there a real difference in the quality of guages from the supoliers? ie who would be best to order from?

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hottest place would be best

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I found on the car forums that adding a trans temp is a good way to go, however, placement of the sending unit is key. There are several places on the trans where a sender can go, each would have different temps.
After completing my first trip with my Overlander, I feel inclined to add a transmission gauge to my '84 C20 Suburban with a TH400 transmission. It seems to me that I should only worry about the temperature at the hottest location which, short of disassembling the tranny to mount an internal probe, should occur at the cooling line going to the radiator. Anyone disagree?

There is a small, empty gauge hole on my dashboard where, in 1984, one could have probably had an OEM gauge installed. Plans are to look for an aftermarket gauge to fit this hole. I would be comfortable with a VDO gauge, if it fits the hole. Anyone care to recommend/warn against another brand of gauge?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Kistler, you said "I believe someone advised on some post that the sender be installed on the outflow of the trans on the way to the radiator--that being the hotest fluid." I plead guilty, and the discussion is here :-
tranny temp. gauges
IMHO, once the fluid has returned to the pan, it has mixed with the cooler fluid in the pan. On the output line, you can see what the temperature is as the fluid emerges from the tranny, which is what is important. Backing into a camping spot can send that temperature dangerously high, and very quickly. Nick.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Hottest place would be best

Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams

After completing my first trip with my Overlander, I feel inclined to add a transmission gauge to my '84 C20 Suburban with a TH400 transmission. It seems to me that I should only worry about the temperature at the hottest location which, short of disassembling the tranny to mount an internal probe, should occur at the cooling line going to the radiator. Anyone disagree?

There is a small, empty gauge hole on my dashboard where, in 1984, one could have probably had an OEM gauge installed. Plans are to look for an aftermarket gauge to fit this hole. I would be comfortable with a VDO gauge, if it fits the hole. Anyone care to recommend/warn against another brand of gauge?

Thanks,
Tom
Line out is a good point for temp. You can get real fancy and put a second probe into the line back from the cooler and see how much temp drop you have.
I put mine into the pan. It works as a drain so next service will not be a bath again. LOL.

Tranny temp gages were never offered on the 73-91 Suburbans.
Depending on the year and options is what governed if that empty spot was filled. On my 75 Jimmy it has a clock there. On my 79 Blazer it had factory tach so the gas gage was in that spot. My 88 it's blank. THought about putting my tranny temp there but have it near the gas peddle on the bottom edge of the dash. I can get a picture if you like. I also have a small tach there.

A-Piller pod for these trucks are not currently available.

Some of the guys at www.67-72chevytrucks.com in the 73-87 forum (I'm Grim there) got with a gage pod manufacture to get them to make one for these body trucks. Looks like it may happen. I'm thinking about getting a tripple and put my Tranny ,tach and a Air fuel meter there.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ohh I have a second sender on my temp gage and it's into the oil pan drain hole so I can see ening oil temp as well.