Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Transfer Flow Replacement Tanks

Anyone have the Transfer Flow metal replacement fuel/gas tanks installed? If so, how do you like it? I am looking at replacing my 30 gallon with a 47 gallon tank replacement. I would much rather have the Titan nylon tank but they don't make one for gassers. Appreciate the comments.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Pappy,

There are more than a few members that have special tanks in their TVs, so hang in there for your answer.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I have a diesel and did replace the factory fuel cell with a Titan 50 gal. tank. You will love the additional fuel storage when towing. Just expect a sad face :-( when you are fueling up! But it will be well worth it later :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
Just expect a sad face :-( when you are fueling up! But it will be well worth it later :-)
Yeah, especially when you have to switch to a second credit card for the third swipe, was really sad when I filled my fathers 76 gallons and had to go to a third card for the fifth swipe. $75 a shot just isn't enough.

My father added a second tank in the bed (50 gallons to go with the stock 26 gallons) works well, transfers gas automatically to the original tank so both tanks go down about the same. When he got that tank we couldn't find a replacement for the stock tank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Cimarron , Colorado
I've done the transfer flow replacement with zero issues in 75k miles. You'll wonder how you got along without it.

Cheers
Bruce
zeke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Additional diesel capacity

My TV is a 2012 Ford F350 Crew Cab diesel with the short bed and a LEER cap. I am looking at replacing the OEM 26 gallon tank with a 50 gallon tank from Titan . Has anyone done this switch themselves and was it possible to recalibrate the truck gauges to allow for the increased capacity and distance to empty. I have read a couple of forums giving conflicting ideas on this.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I installed my new Titan 50 gal. tank myself on my 2012 F-250 and when it was all said and done I probably would have rather paid the $200 to have a Titan dealer install. The old tank removal and new tank installation is not an issue. I followed the steps a guy has posted on a You Tube video. I jacked the rear up and supported it on stands. Mine is 4X4 so it is already high off the ground. The issue is getting access to the fuel connections on top of both tanks. You can access the connections on the old tank from the front end. But you lose that when you install the new tank. All of that room you squeezed your body up through is now taken over by tank. I finally had to drop the rear end of the drive shaft. That allowed me to squeeze between the exhaust and new tank to access the connections. I am 175 lbs. and still flexible and it took some doing. I only wish I had dropped the shaft about two hours earlier. Titan says 2 hour drop. I worked on mine for about 6. When you finish you can take it to the dealer and they can change the program to show a 50 gallon capacity. If you do it yourself make sure you have little fuel inside the old tank to keep the weight down when you lower it. I used straps on mine. The dealer kept telling me this thing has like a 5 gallon reserve when you are on empty. That is bull. I had my fuel estimate down to 4 mpg and there may have been 2 gallons at the most in the tank when I lowered it...... steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If you have the room in the truck bed you may want to consider this alternative.

I went with the Transferflow 30 gal. in bed steel tank. The tank is skinny so it only takes up about 9" of space across the bed and is as high as the bed rail. It's used for diesel. I installed it myself.
It took me some time, but it went well. I was in no hurry and between reading instructions and hooking up the small computer/readout to let me know how much is in both tanks it took me a weekend to complete it.
I have an ARE camper top on the bed and TransferFlow sells an extention kit so you can refuel the tank in the bed from the outside thru the bed camper top.
I've had zero problems with it in 43,000 miles of use, so far.

P.S There are no fumes or smell anywhere and none inside the camper top. The system vents outside the vehicle.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Pappy, I have a V10 like you and installed the 47 gallon tank from Transfer Flow. I've had zero problems with the tank in the 2 years I've owned it. The only thing that bothers me is that because the factory fuel sending unit and float is used (which is good), the trucks computer still thinks it has a 30 gallon tank. As a result your truck will start warning you you are low on fuel when you still have a good 25 gallons left in the tank. My gas gauge goes down to less than a quarter and start getting messages that I need to get gas in 50 miles. When I fill up that low, the most I've taken is 30 gallons, meaning I have 17 left in the tank. Ford told me there is no fix. To avoid the warning bells I stop for gas every 300 miles, which is a full day of towing for me when I'm on the road. It's a lot better than stopping for gas every 200 miles! One of these days I may drive up to Chico and have Transfer Flow adjust the float...perhaps that would help stop the warning bells on the dash.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Thanks so much for your post dougsale, that really helps me with my decision to get it done. I understand about the low fuel sensor but that is a small price to pay for having the extra fuel. One can always hit the "reset" button to turn that off every so often. I usually fill at the 1/4 tank mark anyway, especially when towing since the wife and I have to pee every 200 miles anyway. Thanks again!!

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote