Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
Airstream upgraded the current Blue Ox Pro by installing higher rated tension bars when we picked up the 25FT, but it didn't improve the sag at all. AS should know how to do this so i trust their experience.

What's the rate of tension bar you have with the 25ft?
pickupjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona
Ram 2500 verses 2017 ford expedition

I had purchased a 2017 Expedition with a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs
My flying cloud 30 foot was around 8800 so I thought I would be ok.

Towing back from Florida I never had an issue, just had some issues with swaying in heavy winds.

Also as I traveled north from Phoenix AZ going up from a few hundred feet to almost 8000 elevation over an hour and 1/2 the expedition had trouble when stuck behind a slow semi.

I decided to not chance an F150 or any towing less at least twice my towing needs.

I purchased a Ram 2500 with a towing capacity of over 19,000. Now it is like the airstream is not even there, even fully filled with water and supplies and the back of the truck fully filled.

No sway after several trips in very windy conditions and never any issues towing up any hill.
jjabkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona

Towing back from Florida I never had an issue, just had some issues with swaying in heavy winds.

Also as I traveled north from Phoenix AZ going up from a few hundred feet to almost 8000 elevation over an hour and 1/2 the expedition had trouble when stuck behind a slow semi.

I decided to not chance an F150 or any towing less at least twice my towing needs.

I purchased a Ram 2500 with a towing capacity of over 19,000. Now it is like the airstream is not even there, even fully filled with water and supplies and the back of the truck fully filled.

No sway after several trips in very windy conditions and never any issues towing up any hill.
jjabkowski is online now Report Post Thanks
jjabkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjabkowski View Post

I think your experience moving up to the 3/4T here, says it all with the conditions you describe. Kinda like the right tool for the job, IMHO..as I have said here many times...until you have actually experienced towing a larger (25'-33') AS with either a 3/4T-1T, you will never understand the difference/value these larger TV's offer for towing. Did you get the diesel or the gas RAM? The other difference I can attest to is the value of the diesel for this purpose...set the cruise on 60-65, engage the Automatic engine brake, sit back and relax...drive with your thumbs...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #65
TJS

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
F-150 with 3.5L Eco Boost

FYI-
We first towed our 2014 Flying Cloud 25FB Twin with a new 2016 Ram 1500 hemi 4WD, equipped with all of the maximum tow package stuff available from the factory, and while it did fine, we subsequently went to a 2017 Ford F-150 4WD with the 3.5L twin turbo Ecoboost V6, again equipped with the maximum tow package and a few other goodies. We do like this setup better yet, with even more power and torque and better fuel economy.

If you equip it properly, either the Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 can do the job very well. If not, it will be unsatisfactory for you.
thomasjstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cottage Grove , Minnesota
I tow a restored 1973 34' landyacht. A few salient points about my trailer before I begin. I've rebuilt the entire trailer from the ground up. I've also modified the frame extensively to and am running 8,000 lb axles. I've also lifted the trailer 2" for more ground clearance and larger tires and wheels.

That being said, The first summer she was on the road I was towing with a 2006, 2500 mega cab Ram with a 5.7 with a tuned computer for towing. I would average about 8 miles to the gallon. It struggled to go through the mountains near Denver and even the long hills in the southwest gave it trouble. On those long slopes i was unable to maintain 70 but 65 was no problem.
I've replaced that truck with a 2008 ram 6.4 Cummins. with the help of a tuner and nothing else I now pull my airstream at 75-80 with no problems. A trip through the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore yielded an astonishing 15 mpg.
I personally will never go back to a gasser for my trailer or boat. Spend the
dough and buy the ram with a cummins.
gfmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1990 32' Land Yacht
Lucan , Ontario
You shouldn’t have any problem towing a 25’ with a Tundra. Are you one of those who stresses when the RPMs go over 3k? Won’t hurt a thing other than fuel mileage.

The tundra used to out tow a 1500 Ram easily. Not sure now with the new transmission in the Ram. Power output is similar but the Tundra is outfitted with better towing 4.30 gearing. I believe the best in the Ram is 3.92?

We towed our 34’ 8k trailer for a couple years with a Tundra crewmax. No issues. Camped a lot with a friend who towed a 26’ 6k trailer. We’d leave him behind in the hills every time. Used to do some side by side highway pulls for fun. Never lost.

If you’re not happy with the performance of the Tundra you won’t be with any half ton. Make the jump to a 2500 and don’t look back.
camp-n-family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmeyer View Post
I now pull my airstream at 75-80 with no problems. A trip through the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore yielded an astonishing 15 mpg.

15 mpg towing a 34'er at 80 mph? I'm impressed.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Hoodsport , Washington
Toyota Tundra

I too am surprised as I tow a airstream 26 foot with no problems, we call the truck the beast as it pulls like mad???
Picinich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
People always focus on the “towing” not too much on the “comfort and the stopping”. There is no such thing as “too much truck.”
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
I thought you said it pulls with ease??? Wait, as long as you are on level ground...
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Strange, perhaps I'm lucky, My 2013 doesn't have a lick of rust on it. Sits out in the humidity and rain all year long. Been up north to Chicago in the winter snow a few times also, all winter once.
There was a time that Dodge Ram was everything described. Rust buckets within a few years, front end issues and cheap interiors. That Dodge Ram is dead and buried. and has been for a few years. Now the Ram will hold its own with any of the others.
We had those Dodge pick ups and ended going to Ford as a result and now after all the years with a Ford fleet we simply staying with Ford.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
estes park , Colorado
If you really like your Tundra, and power is the problem, consider installing a Magnusson supercharger. It will add around 100HP to your capacity without affecting fuel consumption. I tow your same FC with a 2017 supercharged 4Runner (reinforced hitch, air bags, weight distribution) in Colorado with no problems. I don't go fast or slow and drive sensibly. Parts cost approx $5K, and it makes for an absolutely awesome daily driver!
MaggieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
People always focus on the “towing” not too much on the “comfort and the stopping”. There is no such thing as “too much truck.”
You brakes and tires would disagree. In an emergency stop, it's not clear cut, and very likely that an HD truck would take a longer distance to stop on accord of its own weight. Diesel? Better add another good margin of distance.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7, great tow vehicle. I have the trailer towing PKG; tow/haul, tranny cooler, down shift tranny brake. I also have the Equalizer system for weight distribution and sway control (very important). I towed a 34' tri-axle for 4 yrs with no problems. I run at 60 mph and have not had any issues. Not sure why you're experiencing problems.
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Vista , California
Struggling Tundra?

I did not read all the post but wonder if your Tundra is struggling because you are not using the "Tow Haul" function; it really changes the transmission characteristics. I have a 2014 Tundra with the tow package and of course it tows my light weight trailer as if it isn't there.
Vista Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
Hi,

We have a 2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8. When towing our 22FT Sport AS no problem. We upgraded to a 25FT RB 2020 model and now struggling to tow especially uphill. There's a big change and we're looking onto a bigger/stronger truck.
Would like to know your input as the Tundra is almost at max towing capacity with the new AS. According to stats the RAM 150 trucks towing capacity is 11,500lbs vs the 10,000 for Tundra. The RAM 250 even better at almost 20,000lbs with 6.7L diesel.

Thx
Maybe your "feeling" of struggling is what your talking about, Andy at Can-Am RV did an article on this exact question, he had a client described that the feeling was that the truck was struggling but in fact it was fine but the perception it was struggling, based on gear changes and RPM on hold etc, he said to drop it down a gear and move on.

If you want it to "feel" like there is nothing back there buy a 250-350 Diesel but remember it drives like a tank the other 300 days a year you are driving it.

If the Tundra is reving a bit climbing a hill while towing who cares? Drop it down a gear if its hunting back and forth....
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Maybe your "feeling" of struggling is what your talking about, Andy at Can-Am RV did an article on this exact question, he had a client described that the feeling was that the truck was struggling but in fact it was fine but the perception it was struggling, based on gear changes and RPM on hold etc, he said to drop it down a gear and move on.

If you want it to "feel" like there is nothing back there buy a 250-350 Diesel but remember it drives like a tank the other 300 days a year you are driving it.

If the Tundra is reving a bit climbing a hill while towing who cares? Drop it down a gear if its hunting back and forth....
I agree that many people perceive higher engine rpm’s as struggling...which is incorrect. That’s just the way gas engines produce the power needed to climb grades. I very much doubt the OP needs a turbo!

We had a Tundra 5.7 and it had all the power we needed.
I have to disagree with the F350 driving “like a tank” however. We went with an F350 Lariat Diesel. Traded to get more payload. It’s very comfortable and rides well. It IS big, however. You won’t find yourself squeezing into small parking spaces with it. 😀
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
One of the best lessons I learned with my gas first generation Titan was to use the appropriate gear for the job at hand. 3rd gear would take up any hill I wanted to climb. At 3600 rpm I was doing 55 and everything was in the green.

Loud? You bet.

Guzzling fuel? Absolutely.

I can’t imagine a recent vintage Tundra, with that fairly beastly 5.7 liter V8 would struggle when my less capable Titan didn’t.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had almost finished and the entire post disappeared.

The OP made his decision. I hope it works for him.

The FJ Cruiser as a tow vehicle for a trailer approximately twice the weight of the towing capacity of that vehicle is going to wear that engine, transmission, 3rd member, and suspension quickly. Your stopping distance will be very long. The V6 is an excellent engine for 4Runners, FJ', very light trucks and cars, but not for a medium to heavy trailer. The FJ is not for towing more than 3,500 lbs. If you do this, please warn the next owner about what you did with this vehicle. The FJ is not just for light duty off road, it is a very rugged vehicle for off road and is better suited to that than a Jeep.

Contemporary gas engines have plenty of power to tow any trailr made by Airstream. Diesels will last forever, long after some trucks have rusted away, but are far more expensive and heavy and few people need one. If you really want lots of power, get a Peterbilt. I see RV's towed by them.

I am not sure what is meant by "sag", but I assume the hitch was so badly adjusted the truck rear end was low and the front end's headlights lit up the sky. A well adjusted weight distributing hitch is made, if adjusted right, to avoid that very problem. That is either the wrong hitch for the rig or, more likely, a badly set up hitch. Either learn how to do it yourself or bring it to a suspension shop. Dealers often do a bad job with hitches because they don't want to spend the time on them. I had an Equalizer on the Airstream and though it was difficult to adjust initially it was a good anti-sway and wt. distribution hitch. I have a Blue Ox on the Nash and don't care for it and it has fewer adjustments to fine tune the set up.

I have towed two trailers all over the US and Canada with the Tundra—more than 70,000 miles. Our 2007 Tundra has 132,000 miles on it and runs very well. I have gone over many mountain passes in Colorado and have no problem with the power or reliability of the Tundra. Maybe you had a bad one, but even manufacturers as good as Toyota turn out an occasional stinker (and there may even be a well made Fiat 500 somewhere). If your standard is Porsche acceleration, most trucks will not be good enough for you. The Tundra is extremely fast when unloaded, when towing, the acceleration is naturally somewhat slower.

For as long as I can remember, Chrysler brands have had poor reliability ratings. When Fiat bought it, it seemed a perfect marriage of bad car companies. A couple of mechanics have told me late model Dodge or Ram (did Marketing tell them "Ram" was aggressive and would sell better?) trucks have to have their front ends rebuilt frequently. Perhaps they are better now and Tony has retired. he never got that Fiat running very long anyway. Certainly most people who buy them probably have few problems and maybe some have low standards. We have owned a lot of Toyotas and they all have been excellent vehicles, though sometimes dull. The Tundra has had little to fix—replace one catalytic converter of four, all four Ox sensors and rebuild brakes. Tundra brakes are not the best and are now out of date, but acceptable. Towing so much puts wear on brakes, so I thought it best to replace a lot of the system.. The Tundra transmission is also out of date. Since the new Toyota CEO took over, the company has focused on speed and styling and ignored the Tundra. It is still a very good truck, but Toyota needs to pay attention to it.

The die is cast and may your Dodge—Ram—Fiat run long and well.

While writing, severe thunderstorms, hail and flash flood warnings and more to come—the trailer has been rocking and rolling and it has been quite an adventure.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote