Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #101
GVZ

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Tongue weight of our AS is 835lbs according to manual, our truck payload capacity is 1250lbs according to RAM data so yes we're close to the limits with about 400lbs spare on empty truck.
I will definitely visit a load testing facility with AS hooked up some time. Have checked the RAM axle weights at public scale facility and it's less than what the book states so i'm curious to see the actuals with AS. Agreed looks like we're almost on the limits. In saying that the RAM towing capacity is 11,400lbs and trailer weight is 5,750lbs, we're adding Blue Ox Pro swaybars which should add a bit of tongue weight capacity.

Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
It will be interesting. The Airstream advertised tongue weights, especially on the 25’ models, seem to be chronically low.

I towed an 8000# Sovereign for 80,000 miles with a first generation Titan that only had a 1480# payload. Worked fine but I had to pack light.

Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Knoxville , Tennessee
Having started towing a 25ft. FC with a 2015 Tundra w/towing package, buying another 1/2 ton pickup would have never been a consideration.

However, having a more stable, capable tv, was a priority since we want to spend a lot of time camping in the mountains and advice like avoid steep downgrades and mountain passes (in the Tundra), indicated a more robust tv was in order.

We traded for a RAM 2500 with the Cummins and it is simply the right tool for the job. There’s no comparison in a towing situation and the piece of mind is worth far more than the price we paid to trade.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #104
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've owned both, although the Ram was then a Dodge Ram.
I've never had so many problems with a vehicle as I did with the Ram. Never got over 50 K miles before dash cracked overnight, sunglass holder flopped down broken, always pulled right, but dealer said it "was in spec." Electric window fell into door requiring replacement of motor.
I resolved to never, ever buy a truck made by FIAT!

I now have a 2015 Tundra and pull my 26' with ease. Since climbing mountains is at most 0.01% of my driving, I'll take it slow and enjoy a truck that doesn't fall apart.

I'm considering adding one leaf to the rear springs. Anyone done that?
Finally, someone who calls it like it is. I am a true blood American and do my best to buy American made, but I prefer to spend less time at the dealer getting problems fixed that should not be problems. Fiat, Ford and Chevy service lounges are no doubt nice when waiting on those warranty repairs that should not be happening at 30k, 40k, 50k, etc. Only wait up to an hour in Toyota service lounge and only for routine service. And my Tundra is made in Texas. Home of Shiner Bock and Blue Bell ice cream. Don’t hate me.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
Finally, someone who calls it like it is. I am a true blood American and do my best to buy American made, but I prefer to spend less time at the dealer getting problems fixed that should not be problems. Fiat, Ford and Chevy service lounges are no doubt nice when waiting on those warranty repairs that should not be happening at 30k, 40k, 50k, etc. Only wait up to an hour in Toyota service lounge and only for routine service. And my Tundra is made in Texas. Home of Shiner Bock and Blue Bell ice cream. Don’t hate me.

Like a good buddy of mine used to say, “Born in America, Texan by the grace of God!”
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #106
GVZ

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I loved my Tundra, but there's no doubt the RAM does a better job towing the same Airstream.
I have friends who own both, some have issues with Tundra spending more time at dealer for repairs than anything. I guess it's a hit an miss, your lucky or not. 2 other friends both have RAM's with one approaching 100,000 miles and never had any issues, replaced battery and brakes once and that's it.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #107
GVZ

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Definitely if we were towing on a weekly basis the 2500 would be first choice, but we go out once a month and the truck is my daily used vehicle.
When we retire the plan is to take long road trips and then will go for the bigger truck.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #108
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Gerrit no offense I had to check if this was April Fools!
We tow a 26'FC RBT with a 2017 Tundra. There is no issue towing your trailer. The only "issue" per se would be capacity in the bed which is limited. Depending on how your WD hitch is setup you have at least but not alot more than 500lbs you can put in the bed.

I'm going to take a WAG that your issue is how the Tundra's lock up differential works. If you leave it in "D" the truck will downshift and than go into a mode that allows the truck to manage the hill and trailer without harming any components.

I recommend you put it in manual mode and downshift as needed.

Gerit - what is the payload on your Tundra? This discussion is on safe towing, not “my truck, or FJ cruiser” can tow big trailers. I have noticed few if any Tundra folks share just the math on their statements of Tundra towing, for example: Tongue weight 1000 lbs + driver/pax 300 lbs + other passengers/pets/car seats/toys/food for the drive 200lbs + 400 lbs of cargo = 1900 lbs. Please come down to a Toyota dealer and show me some of their Tundras with 1900 or more pounds for payload. Plus show us the cargo/payload sticker on the Tundras and the FJCruiser.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 AM   #109
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermans View Post
I have a fully loaded 2019 1500 Laramie longhorn long wheelbase and the sticker says 1245lbs which is definitely not enough for us and our GT27fb but we are about to upgrade to a 3500 Cummins (the wife is on the board of a joint venture with Cummins so she wants to show a flag) but 1245 is not that bad if you pack light you may get away with it...

1245 lbs payload is that bad, unsafe for towing your 27’ trailer. Why share it with others who are asking about safe towing, not about how may Camry tows my 34 ft Excella after modifications and it is durable and reliable! Where is the math when you make a statement like that? Tongue weight 1000 lbs + driver/pax 300 lbs = 1300 lbs without any cargo! You can always put the kayaks, tool boxes, BBQ, bikes, etc. in that beautiful trailer I suppose!!!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:14 AM   #110
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
2008 5.7 Tundra long bed:
- A ton of yard tools in the back, a couple bikes
- AS 28RBT, 25% fresh water, tons of beer, clothes
- Blue OX w/ 1500lb load bars, set to 4.5 links "visible"

No sag, truck & camper both level, no "struggling" No shimmies, shakes, wobbles, nothing. Can handle windy weather and big rigs all day long at 70-80mph.

OP just wanted a new truck, I'll wager.

What is your payload that is exceeded?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great reads on posts. The truck threads are interesting because people mostly like what they have.

I am posting just to share about a progressive change I noticed. I have not owned a Silverado or RAM but an '09, '15 and '17 F150 over the past eight years all with max tow and the same final drive- 3.5. My trucks represent two different overhaul changes by Ford, and three engine types and two different transmissions. I share this because even in a same brand, there has been major 1/2 ton changes.

When I owned the 8 cylinder it pulled fine but in hilly country it really revved up and kept the tranny busy. Also downhill braking was minimal. Even if I did the two taps on the brake (used to be the way) it would brake only to about 40 mph speeds then you were on your own above 40.

The '15 was the aluminum bodied eco boost 3.5 with max tow and 6 speed. It was a game changer power-wise but downhill braking wasn't really different. It had no trouble on hills RPMs stayed lower than the V8.

The '17 aluminum, new design 3.5 with 10 speed and max tow checked the rest of the boxes. Braking downhill was like a new feature. RPMs low at all times- much more enjoyable.

I write this just to show how the continuous modifications to the trucks changes the performance in towing. Often people post about their truck 10 years ago or whatever, while their experience is valid, it may not be what the trucks are like now. Read specs, look at what the RPMs are like at full torque. What is the torque output? What is the payload rating? These will say a lot about what the truck is about. Oh, and also read the overall satisfaction survey info online and the reports on concerns. The last few years RAM has been king in styling and really done well on sales; however, they are having issues according to satisfaction reports. This info changes so you have to follow it for model years, engine models, etc. It makes you aware of things to look for even if you do not experience the same issue, etc. I had issues with my '15 but the '17 is much better. They are all imperfect but capable machines. You just don't want serious imperfections!
Old 07-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Great reads on posts. The truck threads are interesting because people mostly like what they have.

I am posting just to share about a progressive change I noticed. I have not owned a Silverado or RAM but an '09, '15 and '17 F150 over the past eight years all with max tow and the same final drive- 3.5. My trucks represent two different overhaul changes by Ford, and three engine types and two different transmissions. I share this because even in a same brand, there has been major 1/2 ton changes.

When I owned the 8 cylinder it pulled fine but in hilly country it really revved up and kept the tranny busy. Also downhill braking was minimal. Even if I did the two taps on the brake (used to be the way) it would brake only to about 40 mph speeds then you were on your own above 40.

The '15 was the aluminum bodied eco boost 3.5 with max tow and 6 speed. It was a game changer power-wise but downhill braking wasn't really different. It had no trouble on hills RPMs stayed lower than the V8.

The '17 aluminum, new design 3.5 with 10 speed and max tow checked the rest of the boxes. Braking downhill was like a new feature. RPMs low at all times- much more enjoyable.

I write this just to show how the continuous modifications to the trucks changes the performance in towing. Often people post about their truck 10 years ago or whatever, while their experience is valid, it may not be what the trucks are like now. Read specs, look at what the RPMs are like at full torque. What is the torque output? What is the payload rating? These will say a lot about what the truck is about. Oh, and also read the overall satisfaction survey info online and the reports on concerns. The last few years RAM has been king in styling and really done well on sales; however, they are having issues according to satisfaction reports. This info changes so you have to follow it for model years, engine models, etc. It makes you aware of things to look for even if you do not experience the same issue, etc. I had issues with my '15 but the '17 is much better. They are all imperfect but capable machines. You just don't want serious imperfections!
Like you, I loved my 2012 F150 EB, Platinum 4x4. 130K pulling 2 different AS 25's...power was there, braking concerns however coming down the Rockies, and there was just no payload...1039lbs! (didn't understand payload when I purchased...) I also took home a new 2017 when they first came out with the 10speed, updated EB engine, and was pretty smitten! I had also looked at the 17' Toyota, GM, and RAM model 1/2T's; Finding one of the RAM's or Toyota's with payload over 1500lbs was a problem. GM and Ford had stepped up their payload offerings in this area, but we had just ordered a new 2017, 28' FC. The wife pushed me to the F250 6.7L KR..ticks all the boxes except driving around town is a pain for parking...but, when we are traveling with the AS, best TV I have owned. I think the new 1/2T's have many nice features for towing and if I owned a 25' again, I would likely go back to the 1/2T; just not sure which one...payload...payload....payload.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Yes. But take them with a grain of salt. Nobody wants to post, "Boy, did I screw up buying that!"
Then consider some folks buy a new truck every year and post, "We've never had a problem with our truck!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
What is your payload that is exceeded?
Do I detect a nifty battery disconnect on your battery box?
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Like you, I loved my 2012 F150 EB, Platinum 4x4. 130K pulling 2 different AS 25's...power was there, braking concerns however coming down the Rockies, and there was just no payload...1039lbs! (didn't understand payload when I purchased...) I also took home a new 2017 when they first came out with the 10speed, updated EB engine, and was pretty smitten! I had also looked at the 17' Toyota, GM, and RAM model 1/2T's; Finding one of the RAM's or Toyota's with payload over 1500lbs was a problem. GM and Ford had stepped up their payload offerings in this area, but we had just ordered a new 2017, 28' FC. The wife pushed me to the F250 6.7L KR..ticks all the boxes except driving around town is a pain for parking...but, when we are traveling with the AS, best TV I have owned. I think the new 1/2T's have many nice features for towing and if I owned a 25' again, I would likely go back to the 1/2T; just not sure which one...payload...payload....payload.
Ditto here.
I walked the exact same walk. 2012 Platinum F150 ECo . Loved the truck but I was consistently 3 to 400 lbs over the 1560 lbs payload. When traded for a 30' Classic that trailer was bullying the F150 and made for some scary rides. Eventully gave in and traded up to the F250. I will never tow with anything less than that again. Payload 2400 lbs with all the bells and whistles including a panoramic roof.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Ditto here.
I walked the exact same walk. 2012 Platinum F150 ECo . Loved the truck but I was consistently 3 to 400 lbs over the 1560 lbs payload. When traded for a 30' Classic that trailer was bullying the F150 and made for some scary rides. Eventully gave in and traded up to the F250. I will never tow with anything less than that again. Payload 2400 lbs with all the bells and whistles including a panoramic roof.
Amen!
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
@Gerrit, congratulations on your purchase. RAM has done a great job with the 5th Gen trucks. I am sure you will be happy with it. I understand your concern about not being able to fit 2500 in the garage. It was an essential consideration for us too, but we got lucky, and ours fit with just a couple inches to spare. With the new 1500, the cab is excellent, and the features are fantastic, but you should keep an eye on the payload. I was towing with a Mercedes GL450 rated payload of 1600#, but got close anytime we had both of our young adult boys and our dog with us. The AS tongue weight can get heavier than what's in the specs. Good luck and keep us posted on your experience with the new truck.
2019 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I think your experience moving up to the 3/4T here, says it all with the conditions you describe. Kinda like the right tool for the job, IMHO..as I have said here many times...until you have actually experienced towing a larger (25'-33') AS with either a 3/4T-1T, you will never understand the difference/value these larger TV's offer for towing. Did you get the diesel or the gas RAM? The other difference I can attest to is the value of the diesel for this purpose...set the cruise on 60-65, engage the Automatic engine brake, sit back and relax...drive with your thumbs...
Just came back from our first long trip with our new RAM2500, 2500 miles to Tetons. My focus was on testing the new setup's towing abilities and stability, which included the ability to drive with my thumbs : ). The truck, although a gasser did pretty well, did most of the driving with cruise control, we hit multiple 6-8% grades and the truck was able to keep the speed within (+-)3 miles of the set speed. It maintained the speed using the gear shifts wit no brake applications. I was worried about the transmission, but the transmission temperature always stayed within 20F of typical. It's no match for the exhaust bakers, but IMO the Hemi did an excellent job. We are very happy with the truck.
2019 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShar View Post
Just came back from our first long trip with our new RAM2500, 2500 miles to Tetons. My focus was on testing the new setup's towing abilities and stability, which included the ability to drive with my thumbs : ). The truck, although a gasser did pretty well, did most of the driving with cruise control, we hit multiple 6-8% grades and the truck was able to keep the speed within (+-)3 miles of the set speed. It maintained the speed using the gear shifts wit no brake applications. I was worried about the transmission, but the transmission temperature always stayed within 20F of typical. It's no match for the exhaust bakers, but IMO the Hemi did an excellent job. We are very happy with the truck.
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see some posts starting to come in with the new Ford gasser also...I was/am curious about the difference with/without the engine brake we have vs the gasser. Is it all transmission when in cruise going down hill, or does it also control the brakes somehow also? I have read and understand how Ford does it with the 6.7L, but not sure on the gassers.