Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #81

2016 25' Flying Cloud
LITHIA SPRINGS , GA
Go with the Ram 2500. We tow our 25 foot Flying Cloud with a 2500 Hemi and barely know its there.

If you really want the 1500 look a little closer at the towing specs of the specific 1500 you are considering. When you add crew cab, 4 wheel drive, and other people the towing capacity goes way down. Go to the Ram site and build what you want and then look at the specs for that truck. You will be surprised.

Get the 2500 and never look back.
DCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
A couple of mechanics have told me late model Dodge or Ram (did Marketing tell them "Ram" was aggressive and would sell better?) trucks have to have their front ends rebuilt frequently.
A feller told me once them Toyotas weren't no good. Said they leak oil bad out of the cam tower and the AIP goes bad all the time. He said both are real expensive to fix. Said Mopar was the best. Who you gonna believe?
Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
A feller told me once them Toyotas weren't no good. Said they leak oil bad out of the cam tower and the AIP goes bad all the time. He said both are real expensive to fix. Said Mopar was the best. Who you gonna believe?
Who will I believe? Certainly not your “feller”
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
You brakes and tires would disagree. In an emergency stop, it's not clear cut, and very likely that an HD truck would take a longer distance to stop on accord of its own weight. Diesel? Better add another good margin of distance.
What has more stopping power pulling a trailer?
A. A 1500 truck
B. A 2500 truck
A is the wrong answer.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Toyota Tundra vs RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post

A. A 1500 truck

B. A 2500 truck

A is the wrong answer.

I don’t think that answer is that simple, I owned a 2002 Ford 7.3 L diesel the brakes were under engineered for that vehicle, could hardly stop it self. Always changing pads and rotors and I am not an aggressive person on the brakes. The vehicle was a brute for towing and the 7.3 L. diesel was just about bullet proof I owned it since new only 140,000 miles when I got rid of it. Buyers wanted the engine, the body was ready for recycling. I guess this has nothing to do w. Rams or Tundras but it’s an example of brake capability and blanket statements.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
A. A 1500 truck
B. A 2500 truck
A is the wrong answer.
And you did stopping distance testing scientifically with a tape measure temperature etc [emoji16] or just by the "seat of you pants" assessment?

I only ask as this has been tested and it's a toss up because the 2500 ( might have been diesel) weighted more and took longer to stop, I can't remember who's did the actual stopping shoot out, but in that article the 1500 (150) out performed the 2500 in everything except payload
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I don’t think that answer is that simple, I owned a 2002 Ford 7.3 L diesel the brakes were under engineered for that vehicle, could hardly stop it self. Always changing pads and rotors and I am not an aggressive person on the brakes. The vehicle was a brute for towing and the 7.3 L. diesel was just about bullet proof I owned it since new only 140,000 miles when I got rid of it. Buyers wanted the engine, the body was ready for recycling. I guess this has nothing to do w. Rams or Tundras but it’s an example of brake capability and blanket statements.

It’s also a statement about how good that old IH/Navistar 7.3L diesel design is.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Tundra to Ram 2500

We just traded our Tundra for a Ram 2500. We have a 27 FB and towed while over weight on the rear axle for over a year. We never struggled to pull the trailer or had any real issues with the truck during that time (from Washington State to Arizona and back). No shade on the Tundra. We bought it because of their reputation for reliability and it was nothing but reliable.

I thought that we'd be within the envelope +/- 100lbs, but when I had to start watching what I ate in order to stay under payload, I realized I was being dumb and prideful. It's not worth risking your family's safety just to prove a point. After a few white knuckle treks through mountain passes, coming down a grade and getting pushed around, I knew what we had to do. Honestly, it should have been the first thing I did.

Weigh it. If you're over or might be with gear and people, scale up. 1/2 ton can tow the weight of most Airstreams. It just can't safely handle the payload especially when the tongue weight is higher than advertised by about 200lbs (in our case).
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
we just traded our tundra for a ram 2500. We have a 27 fb and towed while over weight on the rear axle for over a year. We never struggled to pull the trailer or had any real issues with the truck during that time (from washington state to arizona and back). No shade on the tundra. We bought it because of their reputation for reliability and it was nothing but reliable.

I thought that we'd be within the envelope +/- 100lbs, but when i had to start watching what i ate in order to stay under payload, i realized i was being dumb and prideful. It's not worth risking your family's safety just to prove a point. After a few white knuckle treks through mountain passes, coming down a grade and getting pushed around, i knew what we had to do. Honestly, it should have been the first thing i did.

Weigh it. If you're over or might be with gear and people, scale up. 1/2 ton can tow the weight of most airstreams. It just can't safely handle the payload especially when the tongue weight is higher than advertised by about 200lbs (in our case).
+1.....
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
And you did stopping distance testing scientifically with a tape measure temperature etc [emoji16] or just by the "seat of you pants" assessment?

I only ask as this has been tested and it's a toss up because the 2500 ( might have been diesel) weighted more and took longer to stop, I can't remember who's did the actual stopping shoot out, but in that article the 1500 (150) out performed the 2500 in everything except payload
That’s almost 20 years ago! Not much of a comparison.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #91
GVZ

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thank you all for your posts, we all have different views and needs when it comes to which vehicle suits our requirements the best so its kind of personal preference.
The proof will be in the pudding as we say in South Africa where i'm from originally.
Surely i will respond after next week-end when we take our first trip with the RAM and see how she performs and compare to how the Tundra performed, we're going to one of our favourite sites in Galvaston TX.
I keep records of all trips including economy so the test will be fair and square between how the Tundra used to perform vs the new RAM.
I believe for sure the 2500 would have been the better option, but take in mind we don't camp every week-end, trying to get out once a month so the vehicle should be an all rounder. 2500 also won't fit in our garage, we're in a town house and i'm not parking my vehicle in the street. To date i only have good things to say about the RAM1500, pleasently surprized on all aspects, too many to mention here.
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
Thank you all for your posts, we all have different views and needs when it comes to which vehicle suits our requirements the best so its kind of personal preference.
The proof will be in the pudding as we say in South Africa where i'm from originally.
Surely i will respond after next week-end when we take our first trip with the RAM and see how she performs and compare to how the Tundra performed, we're going to one of our favourite sites in Galvaston TX.
I keep records of all trips including economy so the test will be fair and square between how the Tundra used to perform vs the new RAM.
I believe for sure the 2500 would have been the better option, but take in mind we don't camp every week-end, trying to get out once a month so the vehicle should be an all rounder. 2500 also won't fit in our garage, we're in a town house and i'm not parking my vehicle in the street. To date i only have good things to say about the RAM1500, pleasently surprized on all aspects, too many to mention here.
Is the garage too shallow or not tall enough? I see a lot of people forego a 2500 for that reason. Just wanted to point out my 2500 diesel is the same length as a crew cab 1500 and clears just about every garage door I’ve ever seen.

The Ram 1500 sure is a nice truck though. I think you’ll be happy with it.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
A. A 1500 truck
B. A 2500 truck
A is the wrong answer.
Then get a 3500 or a 4500 for even more!
Attached Images

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
I have the Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. Honestly I'll never go back to anything smaller. Something to keep in mind that I haven't seen mention through a cursory run over is the ability to stop everything. 2 weekends ago I lost my trailer breaks going down a 7% grade. The truck's brake were hot at the bottom but it kept me safe, stopped and once cooled down are fine. It didn't cook anything. Whether you go up the hill at 20 MPH or 60 MPH isn't near as important as being able to keep control and stop after losing your brakes
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Was your exhaust brake activated? I hardly have to use my brakes when descending a hill while towing.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman6 View Post
I have the Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. Honestly I'll never go back to anything smaller. Something to keep in mind that I haven't seen mention through a cursory run over is the ability to stop everything. 2 weekends ago I lost my trailer breaks going down a 7% grade. The truck's brake were hot at the bottom but it kept me safe, stopped and once cooled down are fine. It didn't cook anything. Whether you go up the hill at 20 MPH or 60 MPH isn't near as important as being able to keep control and stop after losing your brakes
The newer 1/2 trucks with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions are very capable down hill. We head to northern Arizona often. A number of 6% grades and one 7% will get you to nearly 8000 ft. Up or down, our 2019 RAM 1500 and our 25' Safari have no issues with hills. Plenty of power. I just tap the brakes for a second or two going down those 6% grades, just to keep the speed ay 55 or 60. No riding the brakes, no feeling of being pushed. Rock solid all the way around. Its comfortable. Yes, the engine might be turning 3000 RPM, but its quiet. Emergency stops are good and well controlled too. The OP will likely be happy with his choice.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
Was your exhaust brake activated? I hardly have to use my brakes when descending a hill while towing.
The air valve went bad and is on order, so it isn't working right now.
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #98
TJS

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I am suprised as well. As mentioned our 2017 F-150 with the 3.5L twin turbo V6 ecoboost and maximum tow package does well with our 2014 FC 25FB twin. It does have a bit more torque. We live in Colorado and it does well here.
thomasjstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #99
GVZ

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Thanks to all with your replies and comments.
We did our first short trip this past week-end and although it was a short haul about 65 miles i can definitely state a remarkable improvement with the RAM1500.
Overall the haul was more stable, the RAM has more power specially on pull away and held our 50 mile/hr cruise speed with ease, never went lower than 7th gear. We had to keep this cruising speed as the vehicle needs 500 miles run in before we can push for higher speeds. I'm sure the haul would go even better at say 65 miles/hr.
Conclusion, it was definitely worth to effort to go with RAM, we're satisfied. Oh and btw, no sagging and economy about the same.
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltnkat View Post
We just traded our Tundra for a Ram 2500. We have a 27 FB and towed while over weight on the rear axle for over a year. We never struggled to pull the trailer or had any real issues with the truck during that time (from Washington State to Arizona and back). No shade on the Tundra. We bought it because of their reputation for reliability and it was nothing but reliable.

I thought that we'd be within the envelope +/- 100lbs, but when I had to start watching what I ate in order to stay under payload, I realized I was being dumb and prideful. It's not worth risking your family's safety just to prove a point. After a few white knuckle treks through mountain passes, coming down a grade and getting pushed around, I knew what we had to do. Honestly, it should have been the first thing I did.

Weigh it. If you're over or might be with gear and people, scale up. 1/2 ton can tow the weight of most Airstreams. It just can't safely handle the payload especially when the tongue weight is higher than advertised by about 200lbs (in our case).

And that folks, seems to have gotten "lost" in the excitement of a new RAM 1500...."payload"; Gerrit: what is the max payload of your RAM 1500 on the drivers door and what is the actual payload from the scales? I know the 25's I have owned were over 1000'lbs toungue weight...add 2 passengers, a dog, some gear, and your at 1400-1500lbs+ Please share with us your scale tongue weight of the new 2020 25'... (notice mine below...tongue weight is 1100lbs...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale weights.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	374225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Payload sticker.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	374226  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote