Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
RJ1

Currently Looking...
Niceville , Florida
Toyota Tundra thoughts

Hi Airstream owners,

I wanted to hear from Toyota Tundra owners on their thoughts on towing a 25' Globetrotter. My particular Tundra is rated to tow 9000 lb.'s and has a payload of 1375.

- The Airstream has a GVWR of 7300 lbs and a hitch weight with propane and batteries of 882. (from brochure)

- Is 882 number also assuming that nothing else is in the trailer. I also have heard of 12% of the trailer weight to calculate hitch weight and if the trailer was maxed at 7300 that would be 876 lbs.

- I think I would be comfortable towing at 7300 and at 876 lbs. but I don't know if that 876 is accounting for all my stuff.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Ryan
RJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I have a 2020 25 Foot RB. My hitch weight was just under 1100 lbs when I brought it home from the dealership. My trailer was perfectly level from front to back too. You will find the numbers that Airstream quotes are lower than the actual weight people discover when they weight them.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Tundra Payload

Really nice truck. However they suffer from low payload ratings. We have a 2019 FC 25 RBT and after some careful packing and being careful about what we put where to tongue weight is right around 940 LBS and the trailer ready to travel weighs 6400 LBS. So....your Tundra with only 1375 to work with it going to be close. No doubt your Tundra will get it down the road but you will have to be traveling pretty light.

If you do chose to tow with your Tundra load it up for travel and head to the closets CAT Scale and do a 3 pass weigh in. That will tell you the facts about your set up.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Forest , Virginia
I have a 25FB Flying Cloud and pull it with a 2011 Tundra with 5.7L V8 engine. It does work and I use it because that’s what I have and I can’t afford to buy a fancy new 1 ton truck. However, you definitely have to be very careful with how you pack and how much stuff you bring. If you have approximately 1500 lb payload available and 850 lb gets eaten up with trailer tongue weight, that leaves very little left over for the weight of the passengers and gear you load into the bed of the truck. As someone else said you definitely want to use the 3 pass method on CAT scale. It’s very eye opening. I’m right at my trucks GVWR even packing quite light. One way I try to help myself is by putting our heavy cooler and a couple other heavy items inside the trailer over top of the axle, rather than loading the bed of the truck. I favor putting light items like beach chairs, etc in the truck. The Tundra will definitely get the job done if you’re careful, but it will be maxed out in most situations, at least based on my own experience. Hope that helps.
NDRaised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
RJ1

Currently Looking...
Niceville , Florida
Thank you for the input. I plan on full timing in it and don’t want to pack super light. Think I might go out and look at some 3/4 ton pickups.

Ryan
Old 06-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
If I was in the same position I would tow with the Tundra. Some heavy duty springs and shocks would help stabilize things if you do run heavy.

There are a lot of people pulling this camper with that truck.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If Toyota made a 3/4 ton truck they'd rule the world.
I have a Tundra for my 26U. It pulls it with ease. (5.7, tow package, 10,700 tow rating)
I'm more careful going downhill. I picked mine to maximize the payload, double cab, no leather, 6.5' bed.
I drive solo, but carry a lot of stuff.

Strangely, most of the advice here will steer you to a 3/4 ton. But go to an Airstream rally and the 1/2 ton's rule. Conclusion? The forum doesn't always take it's own advice.

Also human nature doesn't like people criticizing themselves. So you'll never hear, "I traded my Tundra on a $90,000 F-250 and frankly, I can't tell any difference."

AND since my tow vehicle is also my daily driver, I'm aware of parking and getting in and out easily.

Since you already have the Tundra, I'd try it and if you don't feel good about it, move up. I'll bet you like it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Ryan, I am an avid Tundra fan. On my second now, a 2017 only because it has some nicer toots and whistles than did my 2008. Never had a bit of trouble with either. My Tundra has a 1600 payload rating. Once you start getting more options, the payload goes down. From my experience you will be looking at a TW of very close to 1000 lbs.

While the Tundra is a bit over engineered for a half ton, I do think you need to pay attention to axle ratings and payload capacities. We pack light and on some trips I know I am slightly over on some numbers. I am not worried because of the stoutness of the truck. Brakes are over sized and the springs are sturdy. I loaded mine up, by mistake, with about 3000 lbs of wet wood. I stopped in at a weigh station to check and was amazed. The steering was a bit light but there was still room between the bed and the bump stops on the axle.

While I remain a big fan, I am also realistic. If I were full timing I would most likely add a canopy and carry lots of "important" stuff. I would not like the idea of being overloaded all of the time. The Tundra will pull your trailer and you won't have trouble getting up or down the hills. You might want to give it a try. Hit the scales when you are loaded and check the numbers. This will be the best information you will get.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
RJ1

Currently Looking...
Niceville , Florida
It’s funny I remember when Toyota pulled the Space Shuttle with a Tundra. I am over here worried about a 25 ‘ travel trailer. I tend to not be a very good minimalist by nature and I am in the military and a believer of “one is none and two is one”. Always worried about being over on payload would be an issue for sure full timing. Thank you for all the replies

Ryan
Old 06-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Ryan, I'm just going to place emphasis on everything RyansDad says. We pull the same 26U with a 2017 Tundra ext. cab. Dead level setup, Equalizer WDH blah blah. You can figure on about 500 lbs of "stuff" in the bed before you really have to think about it...that's quite alot no? Knock on wood, Tundra's are notoriously reliable and have plenty of power. The one thing I'd tell you to change are the front rotors. Tundra stock rotors are not good enough for towing in the rain where heat and water will warp them....easy job and < $500 in quality parts.

They ain't fancy, it's a truck.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
We towed our 30 bunk with a tundra for awhile. It performed just fine, and the truck was in stock form. No bags, tire upgrades or suspension requirements.

Important to note we weren’t towing in the mountains.

The motor is perfectly capable on the tundra - you’re going to get all kinds of hate due to the payload ratings though.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Yea, the kicker as has been pointed out is the payload capacity. You will exceed it handily in short order, which in my opinion is not a good idea as passengers, cargo, let alone hitch weight must all be taken into consideration.

This has nothing to do with hate, it is simply a matter of fact and though I agree the engine is more than up to the task, there is a lot more to towing than just engine performance...and if you do any mountain towing.... Look at the recent Car and Driver thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post2506162
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If Toyota made a 3/4 ton truck they'd rule the world.

I think a lot of us here would agree with you (after the bugs were worked out of them) but I don’t see it happening in my lifetime.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
My 2012 Tundra pulls my 25’ 2020GT FBT very well. No issues at all. I have done a few things to it to improve its capabilities. I switched to 20” wheels, and E rated tires. I switched to Bilstein shocks. Then I added a Roadmaster Active Suspension. It rides more like a 3/4 ton now. (A bit firmer). I’ve pulled our AS a few times, just around a campground switching campsites, towing only on the ball without the weight distribution bars. It’s not sagging under the load. I believe you’ll be over the payload number with a 25FB, but under on the axle ratings and way under in the towing capacity numbers. If you’re a stickler for not exceeding the payload sticker on the door jam you’ll want to go to a 3/4 ton with a gas engine. The Tundra is extremely reliable, and when modified and with a weight distribution hitch does great. I’ve been over many many passes out west. No issues. I go to 2nd gear on steep descents. I will also say a one ton diesel will make your life more simple. Throw the Harley in back, and anything else you can think of, and use cruise control up and down the mountains. You won’t be doing that with your Tundra. But you’ll only be paying for oil changes and tires for years and years. Pic is from a pass in WY. (Prior to adding the Roadmaster Active Suspension) The RAS eliminated the squat and porpoising on highway sections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E650C645-6D32-49AA-9288-338B7403889E.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	397619  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote