Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Toyota Tundra RV mirrors

Hi,

Anyone know of where I can buy OEM style slide out towing mirrors for my '04 Toyota Tundra Access Cab? All I can ever find are mirrors for the big 3, never for a Toy.

As an added difficulty, I am disabled and would like to retain my power and heated mirror connections.

Maybe I have to make my own? I hate the strap ons as I can never get them to quit vibrating and causing blurred vision.

Steve
Cornfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I also have a Tundra and have searched for OEM style slide out towing mirrors without success. I even purchased a pair of GM mirrors with the thought of adapting them to the Toy, but the conversion was way too difficult to pursue. Hopefully there is a real solution out there.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Triple LCD viewing in place of tow mirrors

I have sent requests to many of the manufacturers of powered extension side mirrors for the Tundra. Nobody makes them or is willing to make them.

I at first was intending to buy some extending mirrors and a set of new factory mirrors. But I decided that $5-600 was entirely too much money to spend on a project that may not have satisfactory results.

I originally had intended to mount an A/V back-up camera on the trailer and locate the LCD inside the cab. Now to solve my sight problems I am going to buy 3 sets of cameras/LCDs and locate each of the LCDs in as near to the location that our eyes are trained to look as possible. I'm going to make permanent stand fixtures that will be attached somewhere close to the vents that blow on the door windows. The LCDs will not be permanently attached to the stands. The center LCD will be mounted on the edge of the dash just above the radio.

I'll have to pull a bunch of the dash apart so that I can figure out how to attach the brackets through a narrow slot in the dash top cover and then be able to bolt the brackets to the metal dashboard support chassis.

Has anyone ever made one of these set-ups before? If so can you advise me of any tips or pitfalls that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Jones
'58 Overlander

I have a whole trailer full of OEM parts to sell.
s-mcycles.com/airstream for tons of pics and info

S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
602-321-0421
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Tundra Mirrors

I have a Tundra and have been pretty happy with these.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Queen Creek , Arizona
Yeah, I've been considering the McKesh strap ons. But, I already am going to have the one back-up LCD. And, I have a tax number and wholesale pricing. So, instead buying 3 units isn't going to be that much more money.

Steve

Steve Jones
'58 Overlander

I have a whole trailer full of OEM parts to sell.
s-mcycles.com/airstream for tons of pics and info

S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ 85242
602-321-0421
Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Pre-tire today!

2005 25' Safari
all over , California will always be home.
Towing Mirrors

Hi there,

My husband and I have a Tundra as well and we use the tow-n-see mirrors (they suction on to your existing mirrors). They work great, no vibration and they haven't fallen off. You can still use your power mirrors and such. We bought ours at a local RV dealership, but if you google them I know there are a couple of places that sell them online.
I hopes this helps!

05 Toyota Tundra
05 25' Safari SS
"Don't Delay,Pretire Today!"™©
rollnthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Which kind did you get in the Tow N See mirrors? They have the convex and the straight. I have a Tundra and these look like what I need. Thank you so much.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
Pre-tire today!

2005 25' Safari
all over , California will always be home.
Hello Juel

We have the convex, just personal preference I suppose...checked out both but liked convex best. I hope this helps, sorry for the delay in answering.

05 Toyota Tundra
05 25' Safari SS
"Don't Delay,Pretire Today!"™©
rollnthunder is offline   Reply With Quote